Long Weekend in Dallas

Old Jan 9th, 2013, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long Weekend in Dallas

Have the opportunity for a quick trip to Dallas tagging along on a business trip with my husband. Having never been not sure where to stay, eat, sites to see etc. Can anyone offer any advice? We will be celebrating our wedding anniversary while we are there so I would appreciate suggestions for a special, romantic dinner as well as hotels and activities. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 11:27 AM

Do you have a budget for the hotel. Dallas had every type of accommodation from a basic "Motel 6" to very exclusive 5-star resort. Give us an idea of what you can spend.

Where in Dallas will your husband be working. The Dallas Metroplex covers a very large area so you will probably want to stay near where he will be working otherwise he could end up having a very long commute.

How long is a "quick trip"? That may have a bearing on where you stay.

Will you have access to a rental car or will you rely on taxis for your transportation needs?

What type of dining experience are you contemplating for your anniversary dinner? What is your budget? Dallas has every kind of restaurant and price range imaginable. you need to tell us what type of food and your budget for is to make meaningful suggestions.
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 01:16 PM

When will you be going?
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Apologies for being so vague. January 26-29. Special dinner budget Cocktails to tip, I'd like to keep under $250. Quiet,great wine list, business appropriate attire (not coat and tie).......

Hotel, no "Motel 6" but under $150-200/night. I think he will be at the convention center but said book wherever and he can find transportation. Not sure what part of the city would be best for taxis, etc.

We will use taxis or hotel shuttles for transportation.

Is the Metroplex a business area downtown?

Thanks again.
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 03:36 PM

The convention is on the "edge" of the downtown business district. Here's a link to a list of nearby hotels:

http://travela.priceline.com/hotel/P...1324739_HOTELS

No, the "Metroplex" refers to the entire Dallas/Fort Worth area. It can take you well over an hour to travel from edge of the eastern side of the city proper to the opposite edge on the west and that's assuming no traffic delays - if you travel in rush hour add another 30 minutes. To travel across the entire Metroplex could take you two hours.

FYI - public transportation (buses and trains) may not be suitable for what your needs as it's geared to daily commuting. Taxis are usually readily available at major hotel but they will be pricey so factor that into your plans. Dallas is a "car culture" so you might consider getting a rental car during your stay. Most hotels don't have shuttles, those that do only shuttle to/from the airport.

For that special dinner check out The French Room at the Adophus Hotel (not far from the convention center), The Mansion at Turtle Creek, Abacus, Eddie V's, Del Frisco's or Dakota's Steak House. No problem with "appropriate business attire" at most places but if your husband is not planning to wear a jacket you'd be wise to confirm the dress code at the restaurant of your choice BEFORE you go to avoid embarrassment as there are a couple of places that do require a jacket .

Lastly, weather in January can be cold and rainy or mild and sunny so pack accordingly.
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 04:06 PM

I grew up there and highly recommend Calle Doce for amazing moderate-range Mexican, especially seafood. Or Gloria's on Greenville -- they remodeled and are a bit more fancy (you could still wear pants but it's a bit swanky) -- they have Mexican and Salvadoran food.
Also I recommend Hattie's (http://hatties.com/) -- the food and atmosphere just can't be beat.
Or Toulouse if you like French food (http://www.toulousecafeandbar.com/) -- good food, service, and atmosphere.

In terms of attractions, if the weather is nice go for a walk along White Rock Lake or check out the Dallas World Aquarium -- they have manatees and the rainforest exhibit and shark tunnel are awesome!
Hope this helps your planning. Enjoy my hometown!
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! The Adolphus Hotel looks great, showing theya re booked but I am going to give them a call. All the food recs look great. Thank you so much for the suggestions.
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 07:15 AM

Try The Magnolia next door to the Adolphus.