Texas airports

Old Jun 14th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Texas airports

Flying in to Houston - (staying at the Hilton Post Oak ) and flying out of Dallas (staying at the Hotel Palomar.) Wondered if someone could give me some help with taxi or car services fares and timing. Will only have a free night in Dallas for dinner. Looking for something fun and casual, bbq or tex mex. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 08:11 AM

I guess my first question has to be why you aren't renting a car, thus having no need for a taxi.
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 08:28 AM

I live a couple miles from the Palomar and without traffic you can get to DFW in 20-30 min, but I'd allow 45 minutes to be safe. It will likely cost $60-70ish, and there are tons of taxis lined up outside the hotel. A fun casual area with lots of restaurants and bars near your hotel is Henderson east of 75. The Porch or Neighborhood Services tavern are casual but excellent quality comfort food, or on Knox west of 75, Chuy's is casual tex-mex. Its a Texas based chain, but still very good. The Uptown area is also a short taxi, and Mi Cocina or Taco Diner in West Village shopping center are fun (also local chains but v popular). Most BBQ places are just counter service lunch type places, but if you want to go a bit further, Smoke at the Belmont hotel is awesome.
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 08:31 AM

Taco DIner is one of favs when I visit DD who lives nearby.
It is a great place - with cute boutiques nearby.

I hve paid upwards of $75 for a taxi from DFW to that area - that may have included tip.
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

No need for a rental car - this is a business trip and we will be bussed between Houston - Austin - Dallas. Not my itinerary, I just need to get to and from the airports. Thanks for the ideas on restaurants
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 08:56 AM

You are in a great location for restaurants considering you don't have a car. The Palomar has a good bar from what I hear, but I've never been there. Mockingbird Station is a mixed use development across the street from Palomar. Rockfish is a local seafood chain that is very good and affordable. There are also several other restaurants, Mexican, Asian and a pub-like restaurant there, too. Angelika has a theatre there. Northpark Center is a couple of miles away by cab-Blue Mesa is a New Mexico style restaurant in Lincoln Center across from Northpark-very good. In Northpark, our favorite is La Duni-a Latin style restaurant with excellent food. Northpark is one of the country's finest shopping centers-it would be a nice respite from the heat and you could both shop and eat there. There are many other local options that someone else may give you-these are just very easy ones given your location.
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for those suggestions, just what I hoping for. A few options without much traveling. You mentioned the heat.. how bad? I am assuming all 3 cities will be very hot and humid. (I will be there the first week of August.) Ugh...
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

I guess I also have a free night upon arrival in Houston and would need suggestions for dinner. Again something casual and fairly close to the Hilton Post Oak. Thanks again!
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 10:30 AM

Oh, Think really really hot!! I live in hot and humid city but when I go to Dallas I am always stunned at the heat and moisture in the air.
Dress cool and yo uwill fine!
By the way, Houston is much nore humid than Dallas - one will be completely soaked by the time you reach your car or taxi from the ftont door of the hotel.
Dallas is no where neat that humid,
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 10:42 AM

Taco Diner is a chain -- it's part of the same group as Mi Cocina. There's more than one. The one anne is thinking about is not walking distance from the Palomar.

It will be 95-100+ in Dallas. Houston will be 93-98 with 95% humidity and will stink like a sewer.
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Wow - this sounds almost unbearable. I'm from upstate NY so we rarely get that kind of weather. Hope I don't melt! I think my business functions are at the hotels I am staying at so I should be able to manage that. Do women wear suits for business? Or would dressy cool tops and skirts or slacks be okay?
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 02:28 PM

What business are you in?

In Texas, we dress for business as appropriate for most other cities. There's not a lot of concession to the weather so the formality of your business meeting dictates far more than the fact that it will be really flippin' hot.

And we do have air conditioning. Lots of it.
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 03:01 PM
P_M

Winegirl99, people from the north aren't always aware of this but literally EVERY indoor place in TX has a/c. As long as you are indoors you will be comfy.

I wish you could come at a better time of year, winter is a great time to be here.
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 03:30 PM

bigRuss.... being a native Houstonian, I agree with hot & Humid part in August but not sure what you mean by stink like a sewer. hot is hot but it doesnt have a smell unless my nose has been stopped up for over 40 yrs...sorry to get offcourse.
winegirl...hilton is in very upscale area on post oak so there are some nice dining in area...Maggiano's -Italian food...very nice inside but wife & I have gone in casual you get all varieties of dress as with most places. the Galleria is mins away with many Restaurants in immediate area. Enjoy your stay....oh bring deodarant otherwise the air will stink--lol--as BIGRUSS mentions.
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 07:41 PM

I agree with JCMCC's suggestion of Maggiano's near your hotel in Houston. Also in the area is America's restaurant.
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 03:29 AM

It depends what industry you work in, but I think just skirt/slacks/blouse would be fine. Or just layer a cute sleeveless top under your jacket and take it off as needed, because you will likely want it inside as the a/c will be on full blast. La Duni at NorthPark is a great suggestion, or you can try the original at Knox/McKinney which might be a bit closer to the Palomar.
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all suggestions - I'll figure out what to wear...sounds like a good excuse to shop before I travel! I'm in a fairly casual industry... and one of the few Yankees that will be attending. I forget the rest of the world lives with A/C all the time. I'll plan to take a jacket or light sweater with me most of the time.
Houston --- still need suggestions for easy, early, convenient dinner... on a Monday night!
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 07:03 PM

Oh - another vote for Magginao's!!!! We went there for my birthday last year and loved it ! And "nice" casual is fine. Shoot- I think I was in jeans and a nice/dressy top. We also enjoyed Jimmy Wilson's (seafood) and the Capital Grill (steak).

Note - we're from New Orleans and DH is especially picky when it comes to food!!!!
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 03:50 AM
P_M

I second moldy's suggestion for America's. It's a South American restaurant on Post Oak. It has incredible food with ambience to match. It's my DH's fave in Houston.

http://www.restauranteur.com/americas/

I'll have to check out Maggiano's next time I'm in town.
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 03:51 AM
P_M

PS America's has good South American wine too, Winegirl99.