Austin conference at UT conference center

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to be at a 3 1/2 day conference at the Commons Center of the UT at the beginning of May. Will be getting out of AUS airport around 4:15PM on a weeknight and am nervous about driving rush hour traffic to get to Hyatt Place Arboretum (used to be something "Suites"), near the Commons Center, just across the Mo Pac Exwy.

How long will the trip take me? Is there an alternative route that's easy? I'm thinking of getting a rental car because it seems like it will be useful for getting to dinner and sight-seeing. But if the rush hour will be awful, I might skip it.

What restaurants are close by for dinner? Would like to have regional food. Will be eating at the Driskell one night, also would like to try Congress Cafe.

Would like some suggestions for mid-range prices in case of larger groups from the conference (like 6-8 people).

I won't have much time for sight-seeing but will try to get to O.Henry's house, the bridge, Congress St., the art museum on campus and one music place.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 05:20 AM

Yes, traffic will most likely be a bear but I would still rent a car cause you're not going anywhere in Austin without out, especially since the conference is in North Austin and not downtown. Not sure how long it will take you but I'm sure someone else will chime in about that.

There are several restaurants very close to your hotel, including:

Buca Di Beppo (family-style Italian for very hungry people)
Sushi Sake
Baby Acapulco (Tex Mex)
Iron Cactus
North by Northwest

You can see reviews of them all at City Search http://tinyurl.com/66kwgg

Close by but on the other side of 183 are Z Texas and Manuel's. Both of these are great and I prefer them over the others listed above.

You will also be close to a small Whole Foods which is always a great place to pick up snacks.

The Domain, a new "upscale" shopping complex is located very close to the UT Conference Center. There are several restaurants in there as well. The only one that is not a chain, however, is the Steeping Room. Great place for lunch. Others in the Domain include McCormick & Schmick's, Jasper's, Kona Grill, California Pizza Kitchen, and more.

You'll love the Driskill!!

I know you don't have much time but if you get a chance to drive out to Lake Travis, don't miss the Oasis. Get chips, salsa and queso (cause the food isn't the best) and a drink and enjoy the absolutely stunning views. People back home won't believe you were in Austin when they see the pictures.

I hope you have a great time in Austin!!

Old Apr 16th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Austintraveler, thanks for your suggestions. When you say we're close to a Whole Foods, how close? A couple of blocks? Of the restaurants you mentioned that are not as good but close to either the hotel or the Commons, are any of those walking distance?

The Domain, it sounds like that might be the closest to the Commons?

I'm thinking even if I get a car, others may not have one. Or if it's raining, we may not want to drive. It might be good to know of the closest decent restaurant to the Commons as well as to the Hyatt Place.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 12:16 PM

As a recent visitor to Austin I would tell you not to worry about traffic. Coming from a smaller city it wasn't anything close to Dallas or LA.

Also, we stayed at the Doubletree which is by the Capital. Every good restaurant is an inexpensive cab drive away -- most were around $5 for two people. A ride or two was over that but well worth having someone else navigate so I could enjoy some vino!

There were many good restaurants and all within 10-15 minutes. Our favorites were Eddie V's for a white-table cloth steak house, Enoteca on S. Congress and its main restaurant, Vespaio. HIGHLY recommend. (Eddie V's not mid range. Just saw that part.) Food rec's I highly recommend going to Zagats.com. I have never been steered wrong.

Also, on Sunday we went to the Gospel Brunch at Stubbs. Reservations required for one of the two seatings. Call a couple of days in advance if you can. A live performance and a great buffet await you if you can make it.

Don't worry about the drive from the airport. Austin is a very easy city to navigate. And the cabs are a cheap alternative to driving so you can enjoy your evening without worrying about where to park.

P.S. If you have a sweet tooth, be sure to visit Hey Cupcake! on S. Congress. It's in a silver trailer with a spinning cupcake on top. Just look for the line winding around it.

Old Apr 16th, 2008, 12:48 PM

To avoid traffic from the airport, take 71 East to SH130, and then take SH130 north to 45. Take 45 west to Mopac (Loop 1) and then Mopac south to your hotel.

SH130 and SH45 are new tollways with no traffic whatsoever!
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 03:41 PM

All of the restaurants I mentioned first are less than a mile from your hotel. Probably closest will be Buca, Sushi Saki, and Baby A's. Whole Foods is not far away either, less than a mile. It's at 9607 Research Blvd if you want to map it out on Google. It's in the Gateway Shopping Center at Capitol of Texas just west of Stonelake.

NXNW and Iron Cactus are at the corner of Stonelake and Capitol of Texas. Stonelake is a great street and I use it all the time to avoid Research Blvd. You can take it to Braker and then to Burnet to get to the Commons.

I thought of another great lunch place, although it gets pretty crowded. There is a Jason's Deli in the shopping center at Great Hills and Research (you'll see Bed Bath and Beyond). You can take Stonelake and turn west on Great Hills and the shopping center will be on your right. Great sandwiches and salads!

Old May 1st, 2008, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

I'm in Austin now, been here two nights so far. The Driskell dinner was incredible. I've had great meals all over the world and this ranked up there with them.

My friends rented a car and we are all finding the traffic difficult. The layout is not simple the way it is in some cities (at least for us and we're from different states). We ate at Nxnw tonight and that was fun. We were surprised it was packed at 6:00. Tomorrow we're trying Baby Acapulco as per your suggestion and not sure what we'll do Sat night.

A few questions remain - what time will the clothing and gift shops be open on Sunday on South Congress and what cross street should I start on? I am not sure if I'll be with friends or cabbing it. Where to have a casual lunch there? Then where is best from there to get a shuttle or cab to the airport? Maybe I'm best going back to the Hyatt Place, that way I'm not lugging the carry on luggage all over downtown. Thank you! (people are very nice here)
Old May 2nd, 2008, 08:03 AM

The shops on South Congress should be open by noon on Sunday. Here is what I would do...have your Hyatt call the Hyatt Regency downtown (it's on South Congress and Barton Springs Road). Ask them if it'll be okay for you to keep your luggage there until you're ready to leave for the airport. From there you can walk up and down South Congress, check out the Town Lake Hike and Bike Trail, and venture across the Congress Street Bridge into downtown. Then, when it's time to leave for the airport, just go back to the Hyatt to catch a cab (or maybe their shuttle?) back to the airport.

For lunch along South Congress check out Guero's or El Sol y La Luna for TexMex, Enoteca for Italian, or Doc's Motorworks for American food with outdoor seating.

If you want to stay close to the Arboretum area on Saturday, I suggest you head to Eddie V's. They have a great happy hour. Just leave your hotel and head west on Capital of Texas (360), cross 183 and then make your first right onto Arboretum Blvd. The restaurant is on the left. Won't take more than five minutes from your hotel.

Hope you have a great time. Let me know if you have more questions!!