Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

6th Street, Austin, TX - too many college kids in July?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I are going to Austin next weekend. We booked a room at the Omni near 6th Street, but now I hear that 6th St. has become overrun with college kids. I have heard that East Austin and South Austin are the better places to hang out now. So, I guess my question is twofold:

1) will there really be that many college kids in July?

2) What is there to see/do in East Austin and South Austin? Same stuff, different crowd?

DH and I are 35, and we're pretty laid back people. We'd like to kick back with a margarita and check out some music, have some bbq and Mexican food, wander around and just take in everyhing. We are definitely planning on seeing the bats at sunset and we'll probably go look for the Salt Lick.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 03:01 PM

Sixth Street is always full of the 20-something crowd. Austin is a very young city so regardless of whether or not they're college students, it's the place to party hearty. But, it's not like all of Sixth Street is like that. It's just a few blocks of East Sixth St. But, it's definitely not a place to go for a laid back atmosphere. You will find more of that in the Warehouse District (around 4th and Congress) and just south of Town Lake.

But, downtown Austin is so small that your hotel location is still fine. If you want someplace more central to both downtown and the SOCO (S. Congress) district, get a hotel right on Town Lake near Congress. Either side of the river is fine. Oh, Town Lake is actually a dammed-up river, not a lake.

I would definitely not stay in East Austin or S. Austin (except maybe for the San Jose Hotel).

One place we like to go for music is Momo's. It's on W. Sixth Street near Whole Foods. By the way, you should check out the Whole Foods store downtown (Lamar and W. Fifth). It's a great store and is the headquarters for the corporation.

A good place for music in S. Austin is the Broken Spoke. It's on S. Lamar. Another favorite is always the Continental Club on S. Congress. Also check out Antone's downtown. All these places have websites so you can check out who will be playing when you're here.

There are a lot of laid back places on Barton Springs Road just south of Town Lake. Check out Shady Grove and Chuy's. I think you'll like both.

If you have any more questions, just let me know! Hope this helps.

Old Jun 24th, 2006, 03:19 PM

Me again...I realized that when you say Mexican food I am assuming you mean TexMex. If that's not the case, let me know.

Another fun place for Mexican and margaritas is Guero's on S. Congress.

And for real Mexican food (open only breakfast and lunch), you have to eat at Las Manitas on Congress. You will notice the sign "Avenue Cafe" before you see Las Manitas on the door. Same place.

And if you're really serious about "real" Mexican food, East Austin is definitely the place to go.

One of our favorite BBQ places downtown is Ironworks. Yummy!!!

Old Jun 24th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the suggestions, AustinTraveler! They will be really helpful.

We are locked into our hotel reservation, but that's ok.

Just curious, why wouldn't you stay in East Austin or South Austin? And where does East Austin begin?

I must admit I'm ignorant of the difference between Mexican and TexMex. What's the difference?
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 06:25 PM

TexMex is much more spicy, often times actually HOT, and uses different ingredients. Most of what passes as "Mexican Food" is really TexMex. For example, fajitas are TexMex.

True Mexican food is flavorful, but rarely spicy. Carne Asada, which is a whole roasted flank steak, is Mexican, as is gabrito (roasted lamb), which you will never see on the menu at a Tex mex place.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 06:28 PM

Hey sunny,

The only reason I wouldn't stay in East or South Austin is because of proximity to downtown and because they aren't "tourist" areas. I just don't see visiting Austin and staying anywhere but downtown. East Austin is what is called a "transitional" area. In other words, it's the poor section of town and unless you really know where to go and what to do, I just don't see tourists staying there. East Austin is generally considered east of I-35. South Austin is fine but just not that attractive for a vacation. But, South Austin starts on the other side of Town Lake so there is a lot of S. Austin for a tourist to see within walking distance of downtown.

And don't worry about the difference between TexMex and Mexican. It's all good!!
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 06:31 PM

Christie, we were posting at the same time. Excellent explanation!
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 07:20 PM

Sunny - as someone mentioned, you'll be fine at the Omni. 6th St isn't as bad during July, perhaps less college kids, but you might head to S. COngress Ave. Contintental Club for great music. Broken Spoke, and Polvos on South First (paralel to S. COngress) for margaritas and my favorite - Steak Tacos. It's a bit of a hole in the wall kind of place, but go later in the day and sit outside.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 07:21 PM

Oh, and definitely NOT East Austin to hang - except maybe for a few mexican restaurants.
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all the great advice, guys! I will post a trip report next week!