Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Austin, TX so I feel like I'm in Austin?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going with my sister in Oct. for two nights to see volleyball games. Is there a place there that is either close to Austin action or has a view or something where we don't feel like we are in "anycity" USA, but doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Lower 100's maybe?

Also, restaurants you recommend? Things to do? Thanks.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 09:41 AM

Austin Motel (www.austinmotel.com) or San Jose (www.sanjosemotel.com)

For a great italian restaurant try Vespaio.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 09:54 AM

Wow, goodleg, the Austin Motel looks very cool! I'm definitely checking it out next trip to Austin.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 09:57 AM

Hi Heavens - while their published rates are higher than you mentioned, I would still check with the Four Seasons. I've often found specials that are substantially below those rates and the hotel is really worth it. Great downtown location on Town Lake with nice views, very good restaurant and a definite Austin/southwest atmosphere - you won't think you're anywhere else.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 10:17 AM

Things to do- Definitely check out the music scene. When you come to town, ask for recs from the people in the hotel. I personally love Bob Schneider but I don't know if he is playing locally when you are here. Live music venues can be found all over the place but especially on 4th thru 6th St. I'd also recommend taking in Zilker Park, we will hopefully have nice weather by October and it is a great place to walk around when the weather is good.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 10:22 AM

You might enjoy Ester's Follies on Sixth Street. It's a hilarious combination of skits and singing that parody just about everything, both political and social. They serve drinks and snacks and have two shows per night on weekends. Although all the seats are good, get there early to get a chair closer to the front for middle-of-the-action fun.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 10:44 AM

The Austin Motel looks cool - I want the room with the aqua tub and sink.

I was going to suggest the Driskill.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 12:58 PM

I recommend either the Austin Motel or the Driskill. I've stayed at both. The Austin motel is funky and in a funkier part of town, perhaps not as close to some of the bars and restauants but not too far. The Driskill is more historic and has a few more ameneties. It also has a great bar and seems to be a bit closer to attractions.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 01:02 PM

Stay downtown...Driskel, Omni, and/or Stephen F Austin... would be my recommendations
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 02:15 PM
J62

There are a couple of other hotels close walking distance to the downtown action.

Ramada
Hampton Inn
Omni
Extended Stay America
Hilton

are all very close to Congress/6th st.

Hyatt and Embassy suites are just across the river. There is a free 'dillo bus services that loops through austin and past all (or most of ) these hotels, and will also get you quickly to the Whole Foods, which is another key part of the overall Austin scene.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Is downtown where all the action is? That is the area I want to book near when I go on hotels.com?

Any must eats? Love que and Tx mex...
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 03:33 PM

Jayne, how risque is Ester's Follies? (Could I take either my mother or my teenager and not die of embarassment?)
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 05:21 PM

I'm not Jayne but I've been many times so I thought I would answer. I don't think of Esther's Follies as risque at all. It is very political though and if someone in your party will be upset by anti-W jokes, you may want to skip it. In my opinion, it is a not-to-be-missed thing to do in Austin. It's sort of a combination vaudeville, magic, comedy show. It's great.

Old Aug 30th, 2006, 05:54 PM

Well, Ester's could be considered pretty risque, depending upon the night. It just depends on how easygoing you all are. There could be a lot of innuendo. It's very entertaining, you can count on that! If you want an Austin experience, it's one of a kind. I particulary love it when they make comments about the people who walk by the big picture window that looks onto Sixth Street. It cracks me up!
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Sounds like fun. I was raised in Dallas, but only went to Austin twice in college to visit friends.

Any other "not to miss" in Austin? Food, bars, shops, attractions? I know we will see the bats. That is on the list.

Old Aug 31st, 2006, 12:41 PM

The Artists' Market on Guadalupe right across from the UT campus is neat. It's run by a division of the city parks department and all the vendors have to be approved to sell there, so you don't see stuff made in China,etc. There are some really neat and unusual handcrafted items there at reasonable prices.

Back to hotels, just wanted to let you know that we got the Omni in July with a Priceline bid. I think our total per night was $89. What makes it uniquely Austin is the rooftop pool and spa, which gives you an awesome view of the city. Really pretty. Otherwise, it's a pretty standard big hotel (with a nice sauna and workout room.) It's walking distance to Sixth Street as well as the bats, too.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

I would love to get the Omni for $89 a night. That would be great. Thanks ya'll, for the info. Any additions will be helpful...
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 01:27 PM

Sampios (Brazilian) and Andiamo Ristorante (Italian) are new, incredible restaurants you don't want to miss. (Not that I have ever had a bad meal in Austin! You can't go wrong in that city.)
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 01:35 PM

Heavens, am I correct that you will be here for the October 1st volleyball v. Oklahoma? If so, the day before (Sept. 30) is a home football game. Rooms do book up quite a bit during football season, you know!

If you're hungry for good Tex-Mex with real Austin atmosphere, try the Hula Hut. Right on the lake, it's got a cool pier for happy hour and great margaritas! Try their Thai Nachos - but make sure you've got a cold one for a chaser!

Welcome! We're mighty glad to have you! <)
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 04:16 PM
P_M

I would like to cast another vote for Esther's Follies.

http://www.esthersfollies.com/

The only thing wrong with that show is you will laugh until your entire head hurts. As already mentioned, they do make a lot of jokes about GW, but when Clinton was in office they showed him no mercy either. I think it can be enjoyed by all, just bring your sense of humor.

As far as restaurants go, most of my faves have already been mentioned, but I will second the vote for Hula Hut.

http://www.hulahut.com/

The Whole Foods on 6th Street is not to be missed.

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/lamar/index.html

There's a fantastic TexMex place on S. Congress called Gueros.

http://www.guerostacobar.com/

I hope you will enjoy your stay in our city.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -