Friday Afternoon Meeting in Houston - Need a place

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to plan a sales meeting for 5 people in Houston next Friday. Currently setting times for 12-4 p.m.

I'm not sure about the location - try a restaurant with a private room or a hotel with a small conference room?

I need to feed everyone - and that seems great for the restaurant setting, but I'm not sure if the restaurant wants us hanging around for 4 hours.

Then at the hotel, if I book a conference room I will need lunch catered.

Any suggestions would be so greatly appreciated. I've never had to book a short meeting like this that included lunch.

THANKS!!!
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 01:05 PM
emd

Where in Houston? Houston is a BIG city. Do people have to get in and out of Houston on Firday? Can you do it downtown? If so, check the Four Seasons. I believe they have small conference rooms, and they can pull this together for you nicely w/good food. Their kitchen is very good. I've had meetings for 15 to 20 or so people there. Never a hitch.
I woudl not have the meeting out close to the airport in those hotels unless people must get out of town right after the mtg. I had a business meeting w/lunch at Sofitel out there and it was so awful. Ditto for Marriott out there.
I personally would not do it in a restaurant unless it is a very casual business mtg. and you want to save money and do it cheap. Having it in a good (emphasis on good) hotel provides you assurance you will get attn. you might need. Four Seasons will give you that.
I hope you don't have to do it out by the airport, and if you do I hope someone has had better experience at another hotel out there w/a business mtg.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 01:12 PM

emd has a good idea. The Four Seasons Hotel downtown has several small private dining rooms in the their restaurant, Quattro, that would be perfect. But if you tell us the general location of where you're trying to gather, we can make some other suggestions.

Susan
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 01:18 PM
emd

Hi Susan. I am coming to Houston for fun w/my daughter over President's weekend. Planning on driving her by the old house in Bellaire and going to - you guessed it-Broiler Burger!!
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

emd - thanks for the input.

There are no requirements as far as location. 3 of the attendees live in Houston (2 near Tomball and 1 near Sugarland). The other two are from San Antonio and St. Louis (me).

I had originally thought about meeting near the Galleria area as that is where I usually stay when I'm in town.

This is a pretty informal meeting - I am estimating that 2 hours will be social and the other 2 covering a loose agenda. The focus is to assign a buddy system for some new employees and cover some basic team goals but nothing requiring AV equipment, etc.

I will check with the Four Seasons re availability - hoping it's not too short of notice.

Old Feb 4th, 2005, 01:32 PM

Most hotels have restaurants that will cater their meeting rooms. If you pay, most restaurants will let you use their meeting rooms for however long you book the room for.

Do you need to be near the airport? If so, which one?

If Intercontinental, you might consider booking a meeting room at Continental's President's Club. The new one in the E concourse is very nice. Pappasito's and Pappadeaux's both have restaurants there, and probably would cater. I had a lunch meeting at the Sofitel two years ago, and it was fine. Things may have changed.

If Hobby, I have no idea. There's a Holiday Inn and a Hilton close by.

If people are flying into both, downtown is the most central location. The Four Seasons, the Hilton of the Americas, Inn at the Ballpark, Sam Houston Hotel, Hotel Icon and The Lancaster all have excellent restaurants which will serve meals for your meeting.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 01:43 PM

Jenni, you posted while I was writing. So, I will amend my post.

Downtown will probably be easier for everyone than the Galleria. As you know, traffic is pretty bad out there with all the construction. However, you might consider Ouisie's restaurant for your meeting. They have a private meeting room you can book. Also, might consider Brennan's or Benji's.

If anyone on your team is a member of a Club Corp of America club, see if you can book a meeting at the University Club. (Okay, I have now twice contradicted my recommendation not to go near the Galleria).

oooh, Bellaire Boriler Burger, one of my favorite places. Their Chili Cheeseburger is the best. My folks would go there at least once a month when I was a kid. I am on a diet, so I can't go near it.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 01:45 PM

Jennni - Other restaurants that have private dining rooms are Maggiano's Little Italy(in the Galleria area) http://www.maggianos.com/locations/d...1%2E025%2E0158, Masraff's (in the Galleria area) www.masraffs.com, Benjy's (in Rice Village) http://www.benjys.com/home.html, and La Strada (in the Galleria area) http://lastradasanfelipe.citysearch.com/.

Alternatively, you could contact The Houston City Club (which is centrall located between The Galleria and downtown. I know they have small private dining rooms and lounges. I think they'll let you book a space even if you're not a member, but if you need to be a member, let me know ([email protected]), as I'm one.

emd -- Be sure to wave to me when you drive through Bellaire!

Susan
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 01:50 PM

I just thought of a really good option -- The Courtyard on St James is a facility that hosts events and has different size spaces from ballrooms to small rooms. It serves lunch on weekdays in one of the rooms, but could probably book a small room for you to use. It's located close to the Galleria area in a New Orleans-style building. Check out their website www.courtyardonstjames.com

Susan
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 02:26 PM

If your corporate culture is to try to get everybody home to family on Friday night, I would investigate having the meeting at the airport/airport hotel. Book a conference room, have a catered meal. Fly in, meet, fly out.

This may look expensive at first, but not when compared to the cost of multiple rental cars and multiple hotel rooms for Friday night.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 02:47 PM

Looks like the 2 flying can come through Hobby via Southwest airline (I think they have direct flights from both STL and SAT, and they tend to be cheaper). Of those in Houston, 2 are coming from the north and 1 from the southwest... so considering all that I don't see a need to have it at an airport if you're having it from 12-4. Hobby is relatively easy to get out to; they won't need to deal with as much traffic as going out to IAH.
Now back to the question... I personally think downtown is just as "bad" as the Galleria. How about something in the West U. or Rice Village area (near Rice University, i.e., benjy's previously recommended is a popular business lunching place.)
check out this site for other ideas on location:
http://houstoncl.com/
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Although this is a little belated I wanted to say thanks for each person's input to this post.

Due to the short notice I was unable to make the accommodations that were suggested and I ended up using the Hilton/Doubltree Post Oak for meeting rooms after a lunch at the Grand Lux.

I will be scheduling these meetings more frequently though and so I will be able to put all your wonderful advice to use!!!

Sincerest Thanks!!
Jennni
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 03:07 PM
emd

Jenni, at least you got to Post Oak area instead of out by the airport! Thanks for the follow up.
Please tell me how your experience at the Hilton Doubletree Post Oak was and the Grand Lux for mungh. I may have a small working business meeting to plan in the Post Oak/Greenway area in May and would really like to hear how yours went.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 03:09 PM
emd

Uh, that would be "lunch", not "mungh", although if you had "mungh" then by all means let me know how that went too...