Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Houston, Texas Rehearsal Dinner Texas style near Galleria?

Old Jan 10th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not from Houston...am hosting rehearsal dinner for son, approx 80 people....around Galleria area. Wedding is at Houstonian. Any ideas for fun places? Thanks
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 10:32 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
"fun" places?

My first thoughts for 80 people/ Houston/ rehearsal dinner was along the lines of "very nice" than "fun".

Tell us a little more about what kind of place you are looking for. With 80 people, I'm imagining a large bridal party and maybe a formal wedding?
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

Because it is a formal wedding on Saturday, we want to go informal on friday evening, and invite out of town people, so it will be large. We were thinking it would be great to do a Texas style night, as the brides family is Cuban and from Miami, and grooms is from Ohio. Maybe even some line dancing?
thanks much
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 04:35 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Okay then.
For 80 people, I'd go to a nearby hotel and book something from their catering department. They ALL have a "Texas night" option and usually do a BBQ or similar as one of their dinner options. I'd do that over trying to find a restaurant that can accomodate 80 people. The room is "free" with the dinner buffet.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 04:44 AM

Goode's BBQ is often top rated in Houston. Their location is 10 minutes from the Galleria. Don't know if they have a facility to accommodate 80, or if they could cater to you at a hotel. Definitely Texas cuisine.

Pappadeaux has a location 5 minutes from the Galleria on Westheimer for fresh Gulf seafood. Their restaurant can handle 80, but don't know if they do parties of that size.

Not Texas cuisine, but Magano's has a location on Post Oak just N of Westheimer. Magano's specializes in big parties and family style presentation, don't know about so large as 80.

Mexican is another option. There is a good Mexican place with a nice courtyard on Westheimer W of the Galleria, but I can't recall the name.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 06:31 AM

I tend to agree with Starrs. With 80 people, I think you'll have somewhat of a difficult time getting a restaurant to accommodate that size. Although some very well may allow you to rent the whole restaurant for the evening.

There are lots of nice hotels in the Galleria area - Intercontinental, Westin Galleria, Westin Oaks, Sheraton Suites, Doubletree, Hilton to name just a few. We've attended a number of events at all of them and they can do what you've got in mind.

stumpworks also has some good suggestions as to specific restaurants and they can certainly cater. One thought - across the street from Goode Co BBQ is a separate restaurant they run. We've attended events there before for about 40 or 50 with live bands - not sure they can handle 80 but may be worth a call. They're on Kirby Dr. which is about 10-15 min drive from Galleria area.

BTW - the Houstonian is a great venue for a wedding. Beautiful grounds, impeccable food and service, and you'd have no idea you're in the middle of the city.

Good luck.

Old Jan 11th, 2008, 06:36 AM

proudfam - another thought is the Omni Houston Hotel located at Riverway. It's in between the Houstonian and the Galleria. Very nice and "isolated" location just off I-610 (The Loop). It's a little more upscale, but can also do what you've got in mind.