Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

I need a nice hotel in Houston, near the Galleria!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 10:46 AM
kerry

Can anyone advise me on a hotel in Houston, which is close to or within walking distance of the Galleria? Good leisure facilities would be a bonus! We will be visiting Houston for 3 days where my husband will be on business. We will have a car, but my husband will be using it most of the time. I have done some research on various websites but personal experiences are gratefully received!

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 10:55 AM
Nan

If by 'good' you mean luxurious, the naswer is: there are none.
The St. Regis is walkable but not really close.
And it's the only luxurious hotel in the whole area.
Avoid the actual Galleria hotels.
Dumps.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 12:22 PM
travelbuff

There are 2 hotels right at the Galleria and that's where I usually stay in Houston. I have never had a problem with the hotel and have even held conferences there and found the rooms, staff and services to be very good.

Also the Galleria is a nice shopping area and there are other stores in the immediate area that are walkable as well.

Bring your ice skates, as there is a skating rink in the center of the Galleria. Always used to get kidded on planes with my skates over my shoulder.

Houston is one of my favorite cities and there are lots of good restaurants in the area as well.

Enjoy.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 12:29 PM
travellyn

The Ritz-Carlton isn't far from the Galleria. My sister-in-law loves staying there when my brother is in Houston on business.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 12:35 PM
Ian

The properties in the Galleria complex are the Westin Oaks and the Westin Galleria. Haven't stayed in either for over a year, but in the past have found them to be OK, not spectatcular. In my experience Westin properties have been inconsistent in terms of quality; you might see if anyone has more recent experience with these properties.
The Galleria area is chock full of retail space of all sorts. If you are a shopper you won't need a car while your husband is off working.
There are also lots of good restaurants in Houston. If you lke meat, don't miss Fogo da Chao which is on Westheimer a mile or so west of the Galleria. It's an Argentinian style place, much better and nicer than the Rodizio grill which is closer to the Galleria.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 04:06 PM
JDW

Hotel Intercontinental is on the 610 loop right in the Galleria area. Brand new, and Absolutely gorgeous. (used to be a Crowne Plaza prior to complete renovation) Short walk to the shopping, or even shorter complimentary shuttle. If you need to save a few $$$, my second choice would be Marriott-West Loop; One of the nicest Marriotts I've seen; also very close to Galleria. Make certain to eat at CHAMPS!

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 05:35 PM
Jim

I do NOT recommend the Westins. They are old, tired and in major need of a rehab. I was dismayed at the condition of my room last year at the Westin Galleria. The front desk person, upon prodding from me, admitted that it had been 15 YEARS since the rooms were remodeled.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 05:52 PM
Time Warp

Hey Travellyn, your info is from the early Clinton years.
There hasn't been a Ritz Carlton near the Galleria in many a year.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 08:49 AM
kerry

Thanks to all who responded to my plea! Grateful for the good and bad points raised and the information supplied.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 02:08 PM
Sonya

Hi Kerry. We stayed at the Westin Galleria over the Christmas holidays. It has been completely refurbished and our rooms were great. Best of all was that we could come and go in the Galleria at will. Look at biddingfortravel.com and you will see some other recent reviews for this hotel. We got it for $36 on Priceline. Were given rooms on the 20th floor with a great South view. Heavenly beds and showers. Need I say more?

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 12:01 AM
kerry

Hi Sonya: Thank you for the information, I've have never used a bidding website before, so will be doing some investigation. On first glance, the prices for rooms seems incredible compared to the hotel's website rates, are there any catches you can forewarn me about?

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 05:23 AM
Sonya

We have used Priceline for hotels many times and have always had good results by using the web site I listed as a reference. On our last trip we stayed at the Hyatt Riverwalk in San Antonio for $55 a night and the Doubletree Lakeway in Metarie Louisiana (outside New Orleans) for $36 a night. We always bid on at least a 3 star and keep up with posts on the biddingfortravel board as to what hotels are coming up and at what price. There is, of course, no guarantee that you will get the particular hotel you are trying to get but when there is a particular hotel that is really bad (according to reviews on the board) we just try not to bid in that zone. Of all the 3 stars we have stayed in with Priceline over the last 2 years the Westin Galleria was definately one of the best. I suggest that you follow the board I recommended for at least a couple of weeks, if time permits, and then give it a go. I usually bid about a month before our trip but many people say the best deals are in a 1-2 week window before your travel dates. The only other advice I will give is to join the hotel's frequent guest program. This has been an edge for better rooms in most of the properties we've visited. You can do this online. They rarely give points for your stay but it might be the difference between a good room and one by the ice machine. When we have gotten a less than desirable room we have always inquired politely at the desk and been given another. Sometimes I call in advance and request our bedding choice, sometimes I don't. But in almost every trip we have gotten exactly what we wanted. Good luck! By the way there is a good place for breakfast in the Galleria-Le Madeline-on the lower level. You can enjoy your coffee while watching the local future olympic (maybes) skaters. There is also a salon there where we got some great haircuts.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 07:19 AM
kerry

Sonya, I am very appreciative of your help and suggestions, especially re breakfast, which sounds very nice. We've got a couple of weeks before we travel, so I will be busy researching!

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 08:02 AM
jen

What an absolute crock this is. BFT needs to butt out pay for their ads, not stick them here like innocent little posts!

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 08:42 AM
cant breathe

Kerry, limit your time outside in Houston. It's the most polluted city in the U.S. If you have asthma you may want to stay home.

http://www.ghasp.org/publications/sipchallenge/index.htm

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 06:03 AM
Second Opinion

Kerry: Please rent then largest SUV possible (you will be in good company) and lay some big rubber if you see a whiney weed in a "respirator". The posters on this website will thank you.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 01:59 PM
Susan

Kerry:

Although it's not within walking distance to the Galleria, a close-by hotel with excellent athletic facilites is the Houstonian. It has beautiful grounds, a spa, and a first class exercise facility. They might have a shuttle to the Galleria, but you'll need to check. Their website is www.houstonian.com.

Enjoy your trip. There are great restaurants in Houston!

Old Feb 26th, 2003, 08:11 PM
arc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ditto the Houstonian. I live in Houston, belong to the Houstonian fitness club and have had family stay there many times. You can use their workout facility, the best in town. Great spa there too. Then take a cab to the Galleria....5-10min. ride.
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 04:25 PM

We stayed at the Westin Oaks last year and paid $99 for the night. Loved the fact that it was right there. Shop, drop off the shopping bags, rest the feet and do it all over again. The bed was plush with down comforters and lots of pillows but it showed it's age. The rooms are enormous. For the special $99 rate it is was okay and convenient. Do the priceline thing though if you can. Don't have breakfast at the rippoff zuchinni's restaurant. 2 eggs w/bacon costs $8 and you can spend $10 for a gourmet omelete at the Cheesecake factor next door but they don't open until 10am. Have coffee and a pastrie at the Starbucks and have brunch or lunch at the Cheesecake factory.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:10 PM

One of the best hotels in Houston, and right by the Galleria, is the Intercontinental. Totally new and redone. Excellent, excellent restaurant and lovely bar area. Highly recommend it - very upscale.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -