Long Island visit

Apr 14th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Long Island visit

We plan to drive through Long Island -- west to east, for two days and nights, then take the ferry across to Connecticut. We seek suggestions as to where to stay, what to see and what route to take. Places we've heard about are Sagamore Hill, Montauk Point, Long Island wineries and the Hamptons. Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
Apr 14th, 2005, 04:57 PM

well the main road on LI is the Long Island Expressway, but it's not pleasant to drive! I've lived on the North Shore my whole life so my advise is skewed that way....

for a more scenic route, Route 25A, known as Main street in some towns and Northern Blvd in others is a good bet. it does wind through the towns, so isn't the fastest route. it hugs the North shore, so is good to see sights like Sagamore Hill (oyster bay) Huntington Village, an adorable downtown with great restaurants and shops, and towns like Roslyn and Sea Cliff, which have great historic homes along the water, as well as a remarkably decent museum in Roslyn owned by Nassau County, Cold Spring Harbor (home of Cold Spring Harbor Labs, where they discovered DNA and there is a museum for that as well as a Whaling museum) Stony Brook and Port Jefferson, both nice, historic waterfront towns.

Apr 14th, 2005, 05:28 PM

What days of the week will be involved? Commuter traffic and weekend Hampton tie-ups will be factors to consider.

Wineries are probably better for touring on the North Fork. Shopping: the Hamptons. Art galleries: Hamptons again. Food: all over -- get a Zagat.

When do you plan do do your trip?
Apr 14th, 2005, 05:38 PM

Where are you coming from? That will determine which highway to start off on and when to get off onto local roads (If you are coming from Manhattan do not reco taking local roads the whole way - will be extremely tedious).
Apr 14th, 2005, 05:46 PM

The ferries are on the north either Port Jefferson or Eastport on the end of the north fork. Montauk and Hamptons would be out of your way. The wineries would be on your way to the Eastport. Some of my favorite places on Long Island are Bethpage Village Restoration, Planting Fields Arboretum, Caumsett Park.
Apr 14th, 2005, 06:55 PM

Actually the ferries to Connecticut run from Port Jefferson (to Bridgeport) and from Orient Point, not Eastport, (to New London.) Orient Point is not that far from Sag Harbor and Southampton if you take the short ferries from Sag Harbor to Shelter Island to Greenport. Most of the wineries are on the North Fork and are easily accessible from Greenport.
Apr 15th, 2005, 06:05 AM

Soooo, back to the beginning, we really need to know which ferry you plan to take before we can offer reasonable suggestions. Sagamore Hill and the Old Westbury Gardens are the 2 places (near each other) I'd suggest seeing on the western/mid part of the island if you want to stop.

The North Fork, Hamptons, Shelter Island and Montauk are all the way at the eastern end and there's much too much to cover in even 2 days. If you plan on taking the ferry from Montauk to New London, I would suggest starting very early and seeing the 2 places mentioned if you want and then head further east as far as you can get. Sorry I don't have an overnight suggestion. Then you must decide which areas interest you most for the second day.

Your other option is to skip Sagamore and Old Westbury and head straight to the Hamptons (2 1/2 - 3 hrs from NYC) and spend both days exploring the area.

Post back with more input on which ferry and make up of your party (ie kids?)
Apr 15th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your very helpful advice. It really gives us something to "chew on." We are visiting our son and his family in New Canaan. Our tentative plans are to rent a car the weekend of June 18. On Monday, June 20, we plan to set out from New Canaan and drive the shortest (or fastest?) route to LI and spend Monday and Tuesday nights on LI. Wednesday, we'll take a ferry back to CT, but we haven't a clue as to which one. No hurry in getting back to New Canaan. Further advice would be much appreciated. Thank you all, again.
Apr 15th, 2005, 01:21 PM

So that's a change from your original post. You need a map of Conn and LI Rolf. Between the 2 ferry options, the Bridgeport (to Port Jefferson) ferry is much closer to New Canaan than the New London one. I think it's only about a 20 min ride. This is a dilemma b/c Sagamore Hill and Old Westbury are west of Port Jeff by about an hour. So you have to decide do you want to go out of your way west to see them?

Or just head east and spend the 2 days seeing the Hamptons, possibly Shelter Island, Montauk and maybe the North Fork.

OR, make the longer 1 1/2 hr drive on the Ct side to the New London Ferry, take it to Orient Point which is on the north fork. Visit a few vineyards on the north fork and then head to Shelter Island. Maybe stay the night on Shelter Island. Spend day 2 visiting Sag Harbor (another ferry ride from Shelter Island) and maybe Southampton (there are also 3 vineyards in the Hamptons.

Bottom line, there's too much to see for just 2 days so you have to decide what's important to you.
Apr 15th, 2005, 02:08 PM
mp

I just wanted to recommend visiting Oyster Bay and Theodore Roosevelt's home, Sagamore Hill. We went last week and my family and I were very moved and impressed - the house and it's furnishings are fascinating, the area is beautiful and the tour by the National Park guide was very quite engaging. If you're at all interested in American history, or enjoy walking beautiful nature trails, this is definitely worth a stop.
Apr 15th, 2005, 02:17 PM

I don't know anything about the better vintages nor great wineries, but there are some very well made wines - esp my least fav Chardonnay - there.
M (LSMA, Oakdale NY, class of '62)
Apr 16th, 2005, 06:15 AM

I agree with McLaurie that the Port Jeff ferry is the one to take from New Canaan. Why not just stay in Port Jefferson (a pleasant enough town) and then you could spend one day traveling east (the wineries on the North Fork are about an hour from Port Jeff; Southampton is about the same) and one day traveling west (to Sagamore Hill, Oyster Bay, etc.) On your way back from Sagamore etc., you could have dinner in one of the best french restaurants on Long Island, Mirabelle, in St. James:
www.restaurantmirabelle.com
Apr 16th, 2005, 02:52 PM

If you drive out east,start in greenport Northfork.spend time there and the wineries are there as well.For dinner,Take the ferry to Shelter Island,and proceed to sag harbor and stay at the american hotel or barons cove,Following day explore sag harbor and either stay over one more night or drive to port jeff which is a nice town as well but can be covered in about an hour and you can catch the ferry to Ct..The other parts of Li and I mean more west can be missed in my opinion.These are just sug.Greenport is a nice place to stay and you can still have dinner on Shelter Island or in sag harbor.Enjoy
Apr 16th, 2005, 03:45 PM

Palmer Vineyards is one of my favorite wineries on the North Fork. I think they have some of the best wines out there, and they're one of the closest wineries to the Long Island Expressway compared to some of the others. Greenport is a fun town to spend a day in, and you can take a little sightseeing cruise around the harbor. There are a number of restaurants in town, and a nice waterfront area.

I think the main difference between the forks is that the Hamptons has more of a "scene" and the North Fork is still pretty rural, although there are plenty of places to go eat.
Apr 18th, 2005, 08:05 AM

Rolf,
Doing the trip from New London, Conn. to LI last year I did go to Pindars Vineyard. What I wanted to say though is that you should not miss the Vanderbilt home/museum if you do go to Oyster Bay. Of course I did not miss a Roast beef sandwich on Rye, pickle and beer at Victor Koneig's in Floral Park!
Apr 18th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Talk about information overload! Thanks to you all for your fine help and suggestions. It'll take awhile to sort through them, but we're a heck of a lot more confident now than we were before I asked our original question.

Apr 20th, 2005, 07:28 PM

Definitely come to Long Island but make sure your adjust your timing to the traffic. Best time to come is early in on the weekends. Maybe around 8am not too early. Both forks of long island are lovely but very different. A great ride is to take the LIE to to exit 79 and travel south to 27 travel east through the Hamptons. You will be going through small towns so watch your speed. We got a $200 ticket last month. You could go to Sag Harbor a great town and take the ferry through Shelter Island to the North Fork. Greenport is great also. Going back you could visit lots of winierys and farms or go east and take the ferry at Orient to Conn. Enjoy
Apr 21st, 2005, 06:20 AM

Once you decide which ferry you will take, I would suggest making reservations fir it.
Apr 21st, 2005, 06:34 AM

The Harrison House hotel in GLen COve is a very nice place on the North shore to stay (near sagamore hill, oyster bay, cold spring harbor). It was formerly an estate and is several acres of land with indoor and outdoors pools, racquet ball courts, and tennis courts.

There are also a few large hotels in the HUntington area (there's a Marriott and maybe 1 or 2 other large chain hotels) and a WYndham in Hauppauge that I think has a golf course.

Going further east to the Hamptons (south shore) or wineries (more north shore), there are mostly b&bs and motels, maybe a few smaller hotels.