Williamsburg resturants with kids

Apr 11th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Williamsburg resturants with kids

Going to spend a week in Williamsburg later this month. Looking for good family resturants. Plan on going to Pierces for bbq. Any other local favorites? Love trying new cuisines. Not looking for "chain" type except for one outing to Cracker Barrel. Wondering if any asian resturants are worth the money. Are any of the buffets good or is the food poor quality? We did CW eateries last year, Shields and another which I now forgot the name. Any suggestions appreciated. Also, is there a fabulous bakery in town .....
Apr 11th, 2005, 04:18 PM

With kids? "Sals by Victor" in the Williamsburg Shopping Center at Richmond Rd & Monticello. (not to be confused with other "Sals")

Local owned Mexican - I think the name is "La Casita" -- but I know it's right across the street from Applebees on Richmond Rd.

I neither like buffets nor seafood, yet I thought Capt Georges Seafood Buffet was pretty good.

I like the Indian food at Nahab, on Monticello across from the above mentionned "Sals by Victor"
Apr 13th, 2005, 05:43 AM

For breakfast we like the Colonial Pancake house on Capitol Landing. Lunch is great as a picnic with sandwiches from the Cheese Shop in Merchants square. Chez Trinh, by Marshalls on Monticello has good Vietnamese food which isn't too exotic. I have heard that the Chinese buffet at the restaurant near Kmart on Bypass is good. Find the bakery in CW for gingerbread cookies and cider. Casa Maya is supposed to move to a new location on Bypass this week. Enjoy your trip.
Apr 13th, 2005, 06:20 AM

Besides the places listed above we like Second Street on Route 143. My kids also like the Chickahominy House (when the wait isn't too long), taking the ferry across the James River and eating at the Surrey House. Outside at Barrett's if the weather is good.
Apr 13th, 2005, 06:21 AM

And don't know the age of your kids, but Mid County Park http://www.jccegov.com/recreation/midcounty_park.html
has a wonderful playground, with things for both younger and older kids. We always include a stop there.
Apr 13th, 2005, 10:06 AM

We were in Williamsburg last August and in the colonial section right near William & Mary there is a restaurant/deli called the Fat Canary that is delicious. The deli makes great sandwiches,you can eat outside, and it is one of those unique places left in the US, not a chain, good food. Enjoy.
Apr 13th, 2005, 02:13 PM

I second The Cheese Shop. It is the greatest for a casual lunch and wonderful to take out and find a nice bench or stretch of grass to relax and watch the clouds rolls by. Beware of the huge lunch crowd. We were there three weeks ago and stood in line for a bit. We staggered our time because we could and it seemed to make a difference. We've even just purchased just some of the wonderful choices of cheeses, meats, breads, chips and grabbed some Root Ber and had dinner al fresco in our room some evenings. La Casita is a go. And for a bakery in the Historic area you will want to stop by The Raliegh Tavern Bakery for something cool and snack-like.You said you had eaten at the taverns in the historic area, but Chownings Tavern has a fast lunch and the menu is kid friendly. You didn't say where you staying for lodging but the Woodlands Hotel (just to the back of the Visitor's Center) is supposed to have a nice family resturant. It has been a several years since I've stayed in that particular hotel so can't recommend it currently. We had daily breakfast the Williamsburg Inn where we were staying three weeks ago and found it terrific, if not too much food!! Seasons and The Trellis are within walking distance, and although we never finish it, my daughter and I always stop in Trellis for the Death by Chocolate cake. It's worth it! Have fun.
Apr 13th, 2005, 03:00 PM

A locals' trick is to call your sandwich order in to The Cheese Shop ahead of time. They will be ready for pick up when you arrive.
Apr 13th, 2005, 03:33 PM

The Cheese Shop is my favorite but if the crowds are too massive (even with call in orders!),
there's another locally owned coffee shop on the other side of Merchant Square next to the restored area. Aroma's serves all the barista coffee drinks, good sandwiches and light meals at lunch & dinner. Some really good looking desserts too. There's seating inside and a few tables outside.

I've not heard a good thing about any of the buffets in town.

IMO the asian places in town are very run of the mill and if you're from a city with really good Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, etc., you won't be impressed. We'll drive to Richmond or save the craving for the next DC trip.
Apr 17th, 2005, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all the replies. I've just compiled all the information and now hope I can find all these recommended eateries!

Is there a parking field near Merchants Square? This time I don't plan on getting CW passes, so won't be able to use the visitor center parking/buses.

Also, is the Mid County Park near the Target shopping center? If that's the same park, my kids have already asked to return!

We plan on eating most breakfasts at our condo (Fairfield). But will eat out for lunch/dinner.

Do you think the lines at Busch Gardens should be long on Friday 4/29?

Thanks for any added advise!!
Apr 17th, 2005, 08:09 AM

Second Street is a good choice. Extensive menu gives many options. Service is great and food is good. Can be compared to TGIF with better food and atmosphere.
Apr 17th, 2005, 08:24 AM

And Second St. is LOCAL, don't want anyone to think it is a chain. It's one of the most relaxed places in Williamsburg, and the nachos are to die for.
Apr 17th, 2005, 12:01 PM

Gee, I always forget about 2nd Street Pub - yes great place. They had a location in an old Post Office building in Hampton a few years ago, which was also great -- but I think they've closed/sold that.

Parking is tough to find around Merchant's Square. You could take a city bus to the area, routes pass most hotel areas. If you are going to spend a week in Wbg I urge you to purchase tickets, at least for some of the days you'll be there. I'll spare you the sermon, but I'm sure you know where I'm going on this topic.

http://www.williamsburgtransport.com/ is the site for bus info.
Apr 17th, 2005, 12:03 PM

I forget ... while by no means unique, the Barnes & Noble book store at corner of Henry & DOG can be a nice place to sit down, "cool your dogs", and get a bite to eat.

Seems I remember something about a food court on the W&M grounds open to the public as well. Maybe the locals can verify.
Apr 17th, 2005, 05:02 PM

Yes the Mid County Park, aka Kidsburg, is located next to the Target shopping center. Today was picture perfect springtime weather and the park was super busy!

I don't think Busch Gardens will be jam packed on 4/29. Kids aren't out of school yet and it's not a holiday weekend.

There are a number of parking lots surrounding the Merchant Square end of CW, some are pay. Today was a very busy day in town and I didn't have too much trouble finding a spot in one of the pay lots. Rates are v. reasonable. Imagine it would be the same later this month.

I agree with rb_trav that it's unfortunate that you are choosing not to purchase annual CW tickets. There's so much to see there if you have any notion that you'll be back within the calendar year, the tickets would be well worth the price.
Apr 17th, 2005, 05:12 PM

YOu can't go wrong with the CW eateries. We have had a great time at the Kings Arm AND Christiana Campbells.
Apr 18th, 2005, 07:43 AM

It is always a good idea to arrive at Busch at 9:30. The gates open then but the rides don't until 10. There won't be a line to park and you can get into the park and to your favorite ride by the time everything opens.
If you are looking for refreshment or a cup of coffee, I prefer Aromas up the street from Barnes & N.. Locally owned and seats outside.
Rb - 2nd Street has another location near the Kiln Creek Movie Theatre on the road between 143 and 17.
Apr 21st, 2005, 07:09 AM

Not sure how old your kids are, but the WM dinning facilities are open to the public. I directed another family with school age kids to the weekend brunch for a cheap buffet and they loved it. For $4.50 you can get all you can eat waffles, made to order ommlets, bacon, sausage, biscuts, pasteries, fruit, bagels, etc.

Also, Ukrops (in the same shopping center as Target) has great lunch dinner options. They have kids meals, fresh pizza, a grill with a variety of burgers, quesidillas, and flatbreads with salmon and artichoke etc. Plus the salad bar is VERY good. It's where the locals eat lunch, and dinner when too tired to cook.

The Polo Club by Fresh Market(very close to downtown), is owned by the same family that owns second street. Funner atmosphere for kinds I think.

Brewsters ice cream is a must, their flavors change every day!