Logan Airport to Blue Line?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, so I've read many threads about getting from Logan Airport to the North Amtrak Station.

Most people get it confused with the South Station, but I'm past that. I know I need to get on the Blue Line to State Street and transfer to the Orange Line to the North Station. (is that correct?)

The only thing I'm worried about is getting to the Blue Line from the airport. Apparently there is a shuttle bus, but when I do the trip planner on the MBTA website, it tells me to walk to the blue line, and then walk to the station from state street.

Any suggestions?
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 07:08 AM
HKP

There's a shuttle bus that circulates around the terminals and goes to the blue line "Airport" station. It means you handle your own luggage, but it's reasonably straightforward.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 07:15 AM

As HKP indicated, there is a Blue Line station right on the airport property, it's part of the routes of the shuttle buses that go around to all the terminals.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, I try and research the places I'm traveling through the best I can before leaving, but that was just one minor detail leaving me unsure of myself.

I assume the shuttle is free? I don't mind handling my own luggage as I am en route to a terminally ill family member in Durham, NH for a very brief visit.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 07:23 AM
kealalani

When are you travelling? Maybe a fodorite on the pay it forward program could give you a lift!

Old Jul 24th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Wow, this is a great site! (even without the prospect of a pay-it-forward lift)

I will be traveling next Tuesday, July 31st.

I am scheduled to depart Canton/Akron, OH at 7:55am and arrive at Logan Airport around 9:35am.

Assuming my flight would be somewhat on time, I was hoping to make it to North Station in time to catch the 11:05am Downeaster straight to Durham, NH.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 07:48 AM
TKT

Make sure you take the inbound train on the blue line. About a 15 minute ride.

Orange line to North Station, about 5 minutes.

You will have to buy a ticket, it is easiest to make the purchase with a credit card. It will be 2$

The shuttle is free.

Old Jul 24th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the help - it's amazing how quick you all responded. I will be sure to return the favor for any questions in Ohio - especially the Akron/Canton area....
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 08:41 AM

Once you're on the Blue Line at the Airport station, it's just 3 quick stops to State Street, where you switch to the Orange Line; I wouldn't want you to think it was 15 minutes, and miss it!

Despite the 2 transfers (shuttle to Blue line, then to Orange), the total transit time will be about a half-hour, depending on the connections, since you'll be traveling outside of the rush-hour schedule.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

I replied to this earlier but I don't see it showing up.

I was just wondering about an area I had seen recommended on here a while back called Fanueil Hall.

Is it worth trying to fit in a trip to Fanueil or should I stick to business?
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Oh yea and I meant to thank the last poster - all this information is amazingly helpful and most definitely appreciated!
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 10:59 AM

" ...I was just wondering about an area I had seen recommended on here a while back called Fanueil Hall.

Is it worth trying to fit in a trip to Fanueil or should I stick to business?"

Faneuil Hall is pretty much at the State Street subway station mentioned in the post above. It's a big tourist/shopping destination. Good place to walk around to kill some time. Very touristy, but lots of history there too.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

thanks ralphie, i'm embarrassed at how little i know about the eastern US with all the rich history....
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 10:35 AM

There are several historic buildings very close to the State St. Station and you might want to take a little time if you have extra to walk around that area. See if you can pick up a map of the Freedom Trail so you can see just how close a few buildings are to your location.

A place for lunch or dinner I'd suggest Durgin Park or the Union Oyster House, lots of history at both, and good fresh seafood.

Growing up in the Boston area, the Marketplace was just run down wharehouses, and on the weekend a kind of farmer's market, but that whole area has been rennovated and is now one of the top tourist destinations not only in Boston but Nationwide.

Hope your trip goes as well as possible.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

well, thanks for all your help!

bad news is, I was 15 minutes early for my train and still missed it. I was sitting in front of my station and someone started talking to me. the train only pulled in for like 2 minutes, and I saw it leave.

Fortunately, I caught the subway to south station and just made the bus trip to Dover, NH. I was only 2 hours late and surprised the heck of out of mom!

Also, made a drive to Nubble Lighthouse and was very impressed...I would love to return to the New England area someday soon!