Logan Airport MTA to downtown

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for directions and approximate amount of time to travel from the international terminal at Logan to Copley Square by mass transit.
We're taking a new Cape Air flight from Lebanon NH to Boston, arriving at noon, and don't fly out on Virgin Atlantic until 8 p.m. We'll have to check our bags at VA before leaving Logan, so we'll be leaving for downtown from the international terminal. Would like to go to Legal for lunch, then maybe walk on Newbury Street or some such thing til it's time to head back to Logan. Would appreciate advice. Thanks.
gail
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 08:06 AM

Have you checked the airport's ground transportation section of its website? It would probably have the info.
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 08:16 AM

Are you even sure the Virgin desked will be staffed at noon? I only ask because we have flown Virgin from Boston and the last time we arrived at 2:30 and the desk did not open until 3:00. Just something to check before you go too far with your plans.
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 08:29 AM
yk

Transportation:

Very easy, takes perhaps 30 minutes?

Follow Ground Transportation sign, and you want the BLUE LINE shuttle bus to get you to the Airport Blue Line station (NOT the Silver Line).

Make sure you get on the correct shuttle that says BLUE LINE AIRPORT STATION on the front. The shuttle (looks like a city bus with MASSPORT sign on the sides) will drop you off at the Airport T station.

Take the inbound train to Government Center (4 stops), then go upstairs 1 level and take the Green Line train to Copley. The Green Line is split up into 4 separate lines: B, C, D, E; but ALL 4 will stop at Copley so you can just hop on the next one.

The T ride is $2 each way, so $4 r/t. When you're ready to head back to the airport, just do the reverse.
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 09:22 AM

Virgin will NOT check your bags that far ahead. There may be a left luggage at logan (check the web site, but I think that is gone since 911). Cape Air may have some place you can leave it also. The other thing you can do is an Hourly rate with a rental car and keep it in the trunk. We have done that in France. Good luck
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 09:35 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
We were in Boston in Sept and we took the T from our hotel to the airport.

In reverse. There's a free shuttle (about 5 minutes) that goes from each terminal to the ground-level T stop.

Obviously, you would take the T in direction of downtown.

I don't have a T map with me but I think it's one transfer to BackBay area.

From the time you leave the terminal and including the transfer to the T and assuming it's one transfer within the T, it should take under 30 minutes.

I think you take the Blue line from the airport to Government Center and the Green line to BackBay and get of at Arlington or one stop later.

Old Nov 12th, 2008, 09:42 AM
yk

gailw -

IF you are unable to check-in your luggage with Virgin, here is a possible option:

There is no luggage storage in Logan, but based on some web searches, there is a left luggage room in the South Station Bus Terminal on the 5th floor. The Bus terminal is the building right next to the train station.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1181634AAU8WYv
But on the 5th floor they have a bag check area that it open during the day. I'm not sure of their hours but you can probably find out if you give them a call at 617-526-1800!

So, if that's what you want to do, instead of taking the BLUE LINE shuttle, from the airport you should proceed directly for the SILVER LINE. You need to buy your ticket from the MBTA machine inside the terminal before boarding. The SILVER LINE will end in South Station, where you can walk over to the Bus Terminal to drop off your luggage. You can then take the T from South Station to Copley (involves a change in Park Street for the Green Line).

While you're at South Station, you might want to take a stroll along the new Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway. It goes from South Station northward to North End.
http://www.rosekennedygreenway.org/
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 10:59 AM

Assuming you can find a solution to the luggage thing (there is no luggage storage at Logan), I would take a cab to Quincy Market/Fanueil Hall area. It is right outside tunnel to downtown and cab ride will not be that expensive. There are lots of acceptable restaurants, cute shops, strolling area, sometimes street performers. If trip is in next 6 - 8 weeks there will also be nice Christmas decorations.

All Logan will tell you to do with luggage is to not claim it after first flight - not something I can recommend. Hope VA will let you check it early. While the South Station luggage storage idea is creative, it is not something that I think is worth the effort.

Old Nov 12th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Wow -- thanks for all the information! It's a little overwhelming. It never occurred to me that I wouldn't be able to dump the luggage at VA and head for downtown. I'll have to print out and check all the information when I get home later and will report back (or perhaps resurface with even more questions). Thanks so much to all of you for your assistance.
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 06:53 AM
yk

gailw-

If I were you, I would:

1) Call Virgin Atlantic and try to get to speak directly with the check-in desk at Logan and see what time they open/accept luggage.

2) Call the South Station bus terminal (phone # I listed above) to confirm possibility of leaving your luggage there.

IF ALL FAILS, there is a Legal "C" Bar at Logan Terminal B. It is operated by Legal Seafoods, so you can still get your "fix" if you can't leave the aiport.
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 08:05 AM

Have you checked the airport's ground transportation section of its website? It would probably have the info. sighhhhhhh at least you could have provided the link for gail. http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/

Your original question was about the MTA. Assuming you can sort out the question of luggage so that you don't have to haul it with you, you may find that the MTA is slightly quicker than a cab (depends on traffic, obviously, and from 4 pm on getting BACK to Logan could be an issue).

Admittedly, it's a lot of "changes" on the MTA, but here's what you do:

1. take the shuttle bus from the terminal to the "Airport" station just on the edge of the airport grounds.

2. take the Blue line intown, in the direction of "Bowdoin" and get off at Government Center, where you connect to

3. the Green Line. Any Green Line will take you to "Arlington" and you can walk the block over to Newbury Street to amble down that. (Or remember that it's there if you do Newbury Street second and need to get back to the airport).

Legal Seafoods is in the Prudential Center shopping area, so to go directly there you have to take Green Line cars marked "E" and/or "HEATH" to get to the Prudential Center. You can also walk from "Copley" which is the next stop after "Arlington" and ALL Green line cars stop there -- but it's a little bit of a hike to the "Pru." (And by the way, there's a seafood restaurant actually ON Boylston Street directly across from the Pru that, IMHO, is better than Legal.)

Hope it works out.
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 08:07 AM

One other thought. You can also just get off the MTA at Government Center (blue line from airport) and go upstairs and find the Union Oyster House and have lunch there. Simple, and there are some sights to putter around in that area.
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 08:11 AM

Another option would be to take the hotel shuttle from Cape Air to the Hilton and check the luggage with the bellmen. Then follow the advice about getting to Copley and back.
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 08:17 AM
yk

soccr - I DON'T LIKE the MBTA website when it comes to plan a trip feature involving Logan Airport. Have you tried that???

If I type in
"Logan Airport" as my Start point
and
"Copley station, Boston" as my End point

It'll tell me I need to
Take Silver Line to S Station
Change for a bus (!!!) to Copley Sq

If I type in
"Airport" as my Start point
and
"Copley Station, Boston" as my End point,

It'll tell me to WALK (!!!) from Airport to Maverick Station to pick up the Blue line!

IMO, the MBTA website is RETARDED when it comes to Logan Airport, which is more important since many tourists will try to use it and follow these ridiculous suggestions!
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for all the helpful advice here. I partially solved the problem by changing the Cape Air flight (for a small fee) to one that arrives in Boston at 3 p.m. That doesn't leave us much time to do anything but DOES solve the what-to-do-with-the-luggage problem. Assuming that goes smoothly, we'll probably try to get over to the Copley Legal, stretch our legs a bit, then head back to the airport. We're going to Malta which involves flight to London, lengthy layover at LHR, than another 3 hour flight, so we were hoping to get some pre-flight fresh air in Boston.
Again, my appreciation to the Fodorites who have come through (as usual!)
gail
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

P.S.
I DID call Virgin Atlantic. Tried to obtain info re opening of VA desk at Logan. Had operator who had difficulty hearing me, did not speak English as his first language and so I had difficulty understanding him, and was giving me conflicting information; when I asked to speak with another operator, he put me on hold and then a recorded message came on saying reservations was closed and to call back at another time. That's when I decided to see if we could take a later Cape Air flight.
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 08:59 AM
yk

Hi gailw -

I'm glad you were able to change your Cape Air flight.

If you're somewhat pressed for time, you can always go to the Legal Seafoods at Long Wharf (255 State Street). It is right next to the Aquarium T stop on the BLUE LINE.

So, to get there from the airport, just take the BLUE LINE SHUTTLE to the Airport Station, then get off at the 3rd stop at Aquarium. Just next to it is the Rose Kennedy Fitzgerald Greenway which I had posted earlier. It's a nice for a stroll.

If you don't want to take the T, you can also get to Long Wharf in style by the MBTA Water Shuttle.
http://www.massport.com/logan/getti_...ater.html#MBTA
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 11:56 AM

yk, I hadn't tried the trip-planner -- partly because I've rarely found any trip planner for any city's transit system that made any sense whatever. As far as I can tell, the Silver Line is a weird line for all but a select few anyway, but that's based on just one week there since it opened.

Also, your alternative of the Legal at Aquarium is a good one.

gail, sounds like you've made good arrangements. Have a great trip!
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 12:07 PM
yk

soccr- I do use the trip-planner function on MBTA quite a bit (esp if I'm looking for bus routes). It's almost a love-hate relationship. Sometimes it spits out itin that makes perfect sense, but sometimes it's 180 degrees different. But as a local, at least I know it when it spits out incorrect information, which a tourist won't really know. But the Airport directions (which I posted above) are truly pathetic... Hence, I never recommend tourists to try out the trip-planner function on the MBTA website.

The Silver Line waterfront line works for me, as I can take an Express Bus from my street straight to South Station, and then I can change for the Silver LIne to the Airport. In fact, I just did this 2 weeks ago when I took my flight to London. That way, I don't need my husband to take time off work to drive me, nor pay $$$ for parking at the airport.
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 12:19 PM

I love the silverline! Really don't understand soccr's comments. They make no sense to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -