Take the T or cab from Logan

Old Sep 29th, 2014, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take the T or cab from Logan

Flying into Logan but renting a car at a location in Boston - Government Center/1 Congress St. (Enterprise). I read the Government Center is under construction so it is currently not a stop. Can someone tell me the closest T station ( we expect to walk a little), and what about transfers? Or is it just easier to get a cab?
Old Sep 29th, 2014, 06:18 PM
cw

It's always easier to take a cab. But 1 Congress St. is near the Haymarket Station not Government Center.

Check www.mbta.com for route planning. But you can take the Silver Line from the terminal, change to the Red Line at Downtown Crossing, and change to the Orange Line to Haymarket. This will be free from the airport.

You can also take an airport shuttle bus to the Blue Line to State Sreet and transfer to the Orange Line to Haymarket. Cost is $2.65 per person.
Old Sep 29th, 2014, 07:29 PM

Take a cab. The T will require either a) a shuttle to the train and then a switch of lines or b) the silver to the red to the orange. Either one is two changes. Spend the $20 on the cab.

I'm general, the T is not very useful for the airport.
Old Sep 29th, 2014, 08:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hertz in Cambridge usually has better rates than Enterprise, with the AAA or airline FF discount and coupons on the Hertz site.
Enterprise will pick you up, but not on airport grounds. So you could arrange a pick up and just take the T from the airport to the easiest stop/pickup point.
Old Sep 30th, 2014, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Cab it is! Thanks for the confirmation. Now to double check on some rates. ;-)
Old Sep 30th, 2014, 03:07 PM

Call Uber. Better drivers, nicer cars, usually cheaper, no tipping.. You download their free app and sign up. It's a great new on-line system. You can see where the nearest car is, choose which size vehicle you want, and the driver calls you.
Old Sep 30th, 2014, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Tabernash2. Will definitely give Uber a try!
Old Sep 30th, 2014, 04:20 PM

We used Über about a dozen times in Boston last May.
Really good service. If you have any questions, they respond right away.

The drivers use GPS, or should.

You should be able to find, and download, a substantial discount coupon for your first use. I think it was $10, which meant a free ride for us.
Old Sep 30th, 2014, 04:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love Uber too, but are they allowed to pick-up at the airport?
Here in LA they can drop-off but not pick-up.
Old Sep 30th, 2014, 04:40 PM

I love Uber too, but are they allowed to pick-up at the airport?

I believe they can. There was some uncertainty, but I believe they can now pick up. I think it has something to do with their agreeing to give Massport a kickback on every pickup.

Personally, though, I've never seen that much need for it. I love Uber more than the next guy, but there are so many taxis available at Logan that it just seems easier to take the taxi.
Old Oct 3rd, 2014, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

After downloading the Uber app....got a little uneasy about storing my credit card.....so I deleted it and decided to go conventional taxi. One time deal, no biggie!

Thanks for all the discussion, however.
Old Oct 30th, 2014, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Trip is over...had a great time! However, we learned that a taxi ride OUT of Logan costs more than a taxi ride INTO Logan due to the tunnel/bridge fees. We ended up taking a taxi from the airport into Boston where we rented a car from Enterprise. It could not have been any easier or faster! They were great. At the end of our trip, upon returning the car, the guys at Enterprise even let us store our luggage for several hours while we walked around Boston. We then walked to the water taxi dock and enjoyed a (much cheaper and nicer) ride to the airport. Should have done that both ways....live and learn.