Lodging booked-Alaska Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2006, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to everyone for assistance with trip planning. I've booked all lodging for June 2006 trip (although it could be cancelled with penalty) and I'd like to know what you think.

Anchorage: A Lakeside B&B $115 (1 night-on lake with canoe/paddleboat)

Willow: Gigglewood B&B $95 (1 night-on lake with canoe and bikes, full kitchen and grill)

Healy: Demali Lakeside Lodging $150 (3 nights-on lake w/paddleboat and full kitchen)

Girdwood: Timberline B&B $125 (1 night full kitchen)

Seward: Alaska Saltwater Lodge $85 (2 nights non-view room on beach)

Homer: Beach House Bed and Breakfast $125 (on beach with grill)

Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 01:47 AM

I'm sure you will enjoy your trip. My opinion only. I don't like staying at Miller's Landing, it is a rough road in, area loaded with junk and discarded decaying cast offs of anything and everything. It is a top area for fishing, boating, kayaking etc. It was the one time I had a dump for a B&B in Alaska, I just like in town better, meaning nothing to you.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 10:29 AM

I could not disagree with BQ more! We stayed out on Lowell's Point in the Seward area last August and thought it was so far superior to Seward proper (which is sort of dumpy). There was a bit of junk around, but I only saw it when I looked for it - it wasn't everywhere like some huge eyesore. But what set Lowell's Point apart for my husband & I was being right on Resurrection Bay. Oh my goodness, your knees are going to go weak from the view. Before you go to bed, take a nice long walk on the black-pebble beach, watching the fog roll in or out. When you get up in the morning, take another walk on the beach - watch the otters play, the eagles soar, the waves crash. We kept our windows open at night so we could hear the waves all night long. Even in August, the place was full of wildflowers. We stayed right next to the Miller's Landing camp area, and we were concerned about drunk or loud people ... but it was very quiet, we never had any problems.

I guess for me, it comes down to staying on the beach is preferable to not staying on the beach, especially when that beach is as stunning as the one on Lowell's Point is.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 10:34 AM

BQ, I have a question that I hope you don't mind me asking. My understanding is that you stayed at the B&B on Lowell's Point more than once, and you actually recommended it on this board -- that is until you had a bad experience there. So it seems like it you liked Lowell's Point at one time b/c you stayed there more than one and actually recommended it to people. I can understand that you don't want to recommend that particular B&B to people b/c bad service is bad service. But why would that make you suddenly dislike all of Lowell's Point? I'm sure you have a great answer - perhaps you never liked Lowell's Point and you only went there b/c you liked that B&B so much, and once you didn't like the B&B anymore, you no longer found any reason to recommend Lowell's Point anymore? Anyway, I was just wondering. Also, when was the last time you were out there? I wonder if they've cleaned it up recently. You can check out my photos on tripadvisor (of Angels Rest B&B) - you can see how beautiful the beach looks. Maybe it's improved since the last time you've stayed?
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 12:18 PM

No not true, I have only stayed on Lowell Point twice, 1 time in winter when snow covered most everything and no other tourists. I have never recommended this area. My opinion only, I don't fish, my family does and this is a prime area for that definately. I was there in August. If you are a beach person, definately the views are beautiful. I am on the go, just my touring style.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 12:48 PM

BQ, my apologies!!! I don't know why I thought you had stayed there a number of times. Sorry about that!

We are actually hoping to go to Alaska next winter, maybe Feb or March. The problem is, I can't imagine driving around there with all the snow!! My husband is from northern Wisconsin, though, so he said he'd be happy to do all the driving. I'd want to make sure we had full insurance coverage on the cars though!