Reload this Page >

Tofino &/or Ucluelet Lodging/Bed & Breakfasts

Aug 23rd, 2004, 04:13 PM
R
Original Poster

Everyone was right...
we've probably waited too long to book our lodging in Tofino at the "big 3 lodges."
One thing holding us back is my elderly mother, who is intermittently having health problems. Makes me worry about booking 'early'.

Only the most expensive rooms are left amongst the big three: Middle Beach, Long Beach & the Wick... and even they aren't really available for the # of nights in a row we'd like. (not that we'd pay the highest rates anyway)

Actually, I'm noticing *some* rooms open at Long Beach Lodge aren't that different in price from some of these B & B's...so perhaps we should reconsider Long Beach?
I was leaning towards Middle Beach prior to this, but large groups have booked up blocks of rooms there. :-{ So, at this point, only their Headlands Suites are open for the # of nights we need & they are pretty steep! (unless these are *magnificent*/special units, I'd rather not go this high in price) Granted, places may receive cancellations, but for now, I'd rather not bank on that.

So, we could use feedback in a new direction on other lodging options in or near Tofino/Ucluelet. Haven't asked about Bed & Breakfasts prior to this...nor about Ucluelet options.

Has anybody stayed at the following who could offer a review...?

Brimar on the Beach
Snug Harbor Inn
Cable Cove Inn
Red Crow
Roots Lodge (okay somethin' different --
does this place even still exist?)
Tauca Lea?

Thanks again to anyone sharing their experiences at these places!!
Aug 24th, 2004, 07:58 AM
ltt

not a hotel or b & b but lovely condos will fully stocked kitchens. we loved it here.
Aug 24th, 2004, 10:07 AM

If you decide to go the B&B route instead of staying in a hotel, I'd opt for Brimar on the Beach. I haven't stayed there but it's just a few yards away from the B&B where we usually stay, so I know it well from the outside. It's a beautiful house in a great location on Chesterman Beach.

I have to confess that once I glanced through the window while the guests at Brimar were having breakfast. The breakfast looked scrumptious, the guests were all smiling and chatting and the host looked like a kind, welcoming woman. Of course all that is just a fleeting, subjective impression but it doesn't alter the fact that the location is great.

If you can't get in there, for whatever reason, I'd recommend any B&B on Chesterman Beach Road or Lynn Road. (The only B&B on Chesterman Beach where we've been disappointed was called Spindrift. The others have all been marvellous.) The beach will be just steps from your door: perfect for long walks on a sandy beach with a wealth of sea-shells and shore-life. There's very little through-traffic so the area is quiet. It's about a fifteen-minute drive into Tofino if you want to go to the town.

Of course a B&B doesn't necessarily involve having breakfast with the other guests and interacting with the host. Total privacy is also perfectly okay at any of the B&Bs on Chesterman Beach/Lynn Road. It just depends what sort of mood you're in. You can ask ahead of time whether it's more of a communal-style B&B or whether you'll be "on your own."

Hope this helps.
Aug 24th, 2004, 11:31 AM

Have a look at www.innchanter.com. Maybe not to everybody's taste, but we loved it.
Aug 24th, 2004, 03:48 PM
R
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your helpful replies!!!
Thought the BriMar looked nice on the outside from its photos, but they don't show much of the rooms. And, one can't really tell of the location 'til there. So, I appreciate the feedback.

We could also switch our trip a week later (getting to Vanc. Island more around Sept. 27), but I don't know if the weather will be getting more & more risky by then?
Prices do start to drop a bit at some of the big lodges, then. (Oct. 1)

A big determining factor for us is my mom. If I can get family to visit her more during a certain week (from out of town)...that will probably determine which week we can leave here. She's been suffering from vertigo recently & it's quite debilitating when it hits. :-{
And, worrisome. (she's 81)

Thanks again for the ideas, everyone!!
Appreciate your time.

Aug 24th, 2004, 03:49 PM
R
Original Poster

ltt...

I'm sorry but to which place were you referring? Tauca Lea?
Thanks again!