Living in Santa Fe, NM?

Search

Living in Santa Fe, NM?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2004, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Living in Santa Fe, NM?

Ok, I finally hammered out all of the details with my new employer in Santa Fe.

We'll be moving first week of July (from San Francisco, where it's ridculously expensive and waaaay too crowded.) It's just not the same city anymore. We're now married...2yr old girl...labrador retriever...mini-van...the whole domestic enchilada.

Which is why we're "downsizing" and moving to Santa Fe. My wife is an "artsy wife", so she's gonna love Santa Fe.

I'd like to hear from people who can give me some insight into Santa Fe--from a "living there" perspective instead of a tourist angle.

Thanks!

Old Jun 12th, 2004, 07:56 AM

LuccaBrazzi
I have never lived there but I just wanted to wish you a Happy Life and a Quick and Easy move~
Scarlett
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 11:42 AM

I lived in Santa Fe as a college student, then as a single mother a few years later for about a year. I then lived in Albuquerque for about 10 years following that. Santa Fe is very unique, very artsy, and VERY expensive these days. I still enjoy visiting (my parents live there, own a restaurant, and are very entrenched in Santa Fe 'society'). There are tons of good eateries, the Opera is always an experience, weekend flea market (used to be in the parking lot at the Opera years ago - not sure where it is now), wandering the plaza. There are lots of scenic locations out of Santa Fe (Chama, raspberries in Moira), skiing, Taos. I know nothing about the schools, but can recommend restaurants, a dentist, and can direct you to my parents who might have some newcomer advice.

Best of luck to you!
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Jayne1973

All I can say, LuccaBrazzi, is, "You Lucky Duck!"

I go to SF every summer and would love to try being a local. If you are liberal minded and like the Southwest, it can't be too bad.

Best of luck!

Old Jun 13th, 2004, 03:51 AM

I too am planning a move either to Santa Fe or to Sedona; possibly both in a sequence. My heart is in Sedona but housing prices - ouch! Santa Fe also expensive but found a few homes/condos in price range. I am selling my home in Sarasota, FL and moving back to PA for a year to reconnect with family (have been away from them for 20 years except for quick visits). As soon as I have a job and know I can continue to pay the mortgage, I'm going to fly out and buy a home before prices get even higher. Will work on finishing my Masters in Counseling while in PA (school is in Sarasota but mostly online and can fly down for weekend classes)then move west in about a year. Any advice about either town as a 'resident' would be welcome!
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 03:50 PM

One of my good friends retired there. Where will you be working? Do you have a place to live already?
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 09:50 PM
Original Poster

I start my new job in mid-July. I'll be flying to SAF in two weeks to check out housing.
Again...we're REALLY excited about the move. We're ready to get out of California--and THIS comes from a SoCal native. "The Golden State" has become too crazy, too crowded, too expensive..and just too bizarre.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 04:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you take that domestic enchilada with green or red chile?

Old Jun 14th, 2004, 06:54 AM

When I was a child in Houston, our elderly next door neighbors, who had lived all over the world, decided to move to Santa Fe. I had pictured the town as being flat and hot and dusty, but knew there must be something more to it, since these people had seen the world and decided to settle in Santa Fe. They lived there until they died, around 25 years later. The only complaint I ever heard out of them was that it took a while to get used to what they described as "7 months of winter", meaning that it froze most of the year. It was partly because of their move that I ended up moving to Durango around 20 years later.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 01:08 PM

I am in a similar situation. My husband found out this week that we will be moving to Santa Fe in eight weeks. We are artsy and outdoorsy, so I suspect we will love it. However, I'm awfully concerned about employment possibilities (am in communication/marketing/fund raising), and housing costs. We would love to receive any advice, and Lucca Brazzi, if you have any words of wisdom as you make your move, we'd appreciate it! We are in our late 20s, pet owners (dog and parrot) and expecting our first child in January.
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 12:50 AM
Original Poster

Hi Sara-
I just got back from Santa Fe...meeting my new employers and finding a rental home.

I'll keep you guys posted on this forum about our experience. The movers are coming next week...so I may be down a week before re-establishing internet connectivity.

We've found a short-term rental in the SW part of Santa Fe. It's not everyone's cup of tea in that area: Mostly new, suburban tract-homes. But hey, we have a 2yr old daughter...and we're from California, so the 'burbs are something we're used to. But it's all pretty quiet and new in this part of town...good enough for us. The place we found is a new 4BR/3BA for $1200 a month. We plan on buying in the general area by the end of the year. The new subdivisions have some attractively-priced homes starting at $165K and topping out at $260K--coming from San Francisco, this makes us VERY HAPPY!! No, we're not those "rich Calfornians" who've sold a place and made a fortune. We were just poor renters.

Around the plaza and the northern part of Santa Fe is where all of the charm/architecture is...as well as all of the artists. But it's pretty pricey there...definitely beautiful, but pricey (think upwards of $600K.) My wife is a budding artist, so I suspect this is where she'll be hanging out once we get established. She has no problem with hanging out here and then returning "home" to the SW 'burbs (yes, we even have a minivan and a Labrador Retreiver). But she's an artist at heart.

My wife is also kinda curious about the employment situation. The plan is for her to work part-time towards the end of the year. Her background (as well as mine) is TV news...but she kinda wants to avoid this and find something more "artsy." My new job is working for TV station KOB as the Bureau Chief/News Videographer in their Santa Fe bureau (KOB is located in Albuquerque, about an hour south.)

We'll keep you posted!
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 04:10 AM

Hello there (ma Lei è italiano per caso?)!

My parents are thinking of selling the old homestead in New Orleans and moving to New Mexico because of the drier, more pleasant climate and the much better health care system. I encourage the move highly. Is it really true that NM is senior-friendly? I live in Europe and can only look in on them once a year, but if I can be assured that NM is as wonderful as I have heard it, I will feel more at ease. My choice for them would be the northern part of the state, around Santa Fe.

Any suggestions/words of encouragement would be appreciated.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 12:19 PM

LuccaBrazzi, I hope your move went well and you and the fam are getting settled. My husband and I are headed out in two weeks to go home scouting, and then we're moving in mid-August. We're working with a realtor, but due to the small housing market (coming from Atlanta, anyway) we may have to find a rental. We'd love any words of wisdom, as you are now experts!