Albuquerque vs. Santa Fe

Search

Albuquerque vs. Santa Fe

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Albuquerque vs. Santa Fe

OK, I've researched all the posts on both and the majority seem to like Santa Fe much better than ABQ. So I'm curious as to why? Please let me know what makes (or doesn't make) Santa Fe better than ABQ so I know whether or not to spend extra time (after my ABQ convention) in Santa Fe! Thanks!
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 12:12 PM

We went to Santa last summer for the first time. We flew in and out of ABQ, and drove around it a but just out of curiousity.

Santa Fe is a quaint, relaxed town with a central plaza and charming hotels, stores, galleries and restaurants. ABQ seems more like a small city.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 12:13 PM

You definitely want to spend any extra time in Santa Fe. MFNYC's description is a good one. You'll "know" when you get there.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 12:16 PM

While there are many great things to see and do in ABQ; it tends to be more city like where Santa Fe is smaller and seems a bit more southwestern.

Each has its merits and fans. If you like art galleries; varied museums - Santa Fe may be more you cup of tea. It is the more artsy of the two. ABQ has lots to offer too, with a great zoo, biopark, outdoor activities, museums, cultural centers etc.

What do you enjoy? With that info, a more meaningful reply is likely.

You may be better seeing some things in ABQ in your "off time" from conference and then going to SF on days off.

Hope this helps...
Debi

Hope this helps...
Debi

Old Jan 18th, 2007, 01:13 PM

The Santa Fe Plaza area is loaded with stuff to do and is very walkable. The walkable part comes in very handy if you happen to like a few drinks during the evening.

Santa Fe also makes a nice hub for side trips like Los Alamos, Bandelier National Monument, and Ghost Ranch in Abiquiu (Georgia O'Keefe country).
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 02:16 PM

What? No one's mentioned shopping? Santa Fe is a shopper's mecca, from clothing to jewelry to art. You may not think now that you have a taste for things southwest, but I'd bet you will once you get there.

And my wife will tell you Santa Fe is a much more spiritual place than Albuquerque. Whether that has anything to do with shopping or not, she's not saying. ;-)
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Well, shopping is definitely not a draw for me. Visiting a pueblo or two would be high on the list, along with cultural displays. We also like outdoor activities and Santa Fe seems to be the right place for in-town strolling. So maybe we'll count on spending a full day in Santa Fe at the beginning of the trip, and if we like it we can go up for an evening later in the week. Thanks!
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 08:07 PM

I'm a little leary of replying with the name "Postal" but I'll go ahead....
If you like outdoorsy things, then go to Santa Fe and visit Bandalier, Taos Pueblo, Santa Fe Ski are has trails, etc. Much more.

It doesn't matter if you like shopping or not. Its not Rodeo Drive, its little shops featuring Native American jewelry, rugs and other treasures that are special to this region. You can walk around Santa Fe. You cannot walk around Albuquerque. Santa Fe is quaint with a lot of charm and history. Albuquerque is just the city south of Santa Fe -- don't beat me as my grandparents lived there and I enjoyed it. Maybe a good analogy would be Phoenix is to Sedona as Albuquerqu is to Santa Fe.

For us, Albuquerque is not in the same ballpark as Santa Fe.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 11:32 PM

My opinion, ABQ is just another city. Sante fe has charm, charachter and ambiance!