Lincoln Museum and Library

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new Museum and Library was dedicated this weekend. It looks innovative and well done. Has anyone been yet or have plans to go this summer?
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 12:31 PM
bluestructure

Oh I saw a clip on the news, looks awesome! I was wondering where it is exactly?

Old Apr 17th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

It's in Springfield, where his gravesite also is.
Old May 27th, 2005, 04:33 AM

Can anybody recommend the best area to stay overnight, or a specific place? Any other fun, unique things to do in addition to the many Lincoln sites?
Old May 27th, 2005, 07:10 AM
JJ5

I have no hotel/motel reccommendation but one of our Reference Librarians just returned from a consortium meeting there, and he has detailed many aspects of this for me. I don't want to give too much away. We will go later this summer.

His wife went along and spent 2 hours one day and then went back for much longer the next. It is very high tech/state of the art. You can see the freckles on Will's face etc.

Almost all school children in IL go to Springfield as grad trips or earlier. There are many venues re Lincoln and it is well worth an entire day. My son went a couple of years ago with 3 young children and they do want to return. Arts, crafts, buildings etc.- all from Abe's days as a lawyer there. Now with the new library/museum- it is probably a two day stay.

Do know that in my peer group I can not talk about this project at all. One dear friend apologized after becoming quite heated and I do not want to get political or push anyone's buttons so I stay mum. As a librarian, it is truly something to be happy about as well as the breadth of our free online database systems through "Find-It ILLINOIS" and the State Library. But do know FYI that this costs millions and millions of dollars. It was funded under Ryan and with the new Gov. B - a big pork barrel project- where both parties and all execs came out smiling. And our school system is funded almost totally by property taxes and some areas are in dire straits. NOT GOOD.

Between this immense and very expensive Pres.Library & Museum and the Chicago's Millenium Park "bean" - now being called bean-doggle in the Sun-Times- it seems once again we have working class people of IL footing huge tax bills with education still existing as the poor step-sister to special interest projects.

I personally see how spending in IL has gone on so called "grants" and fed. funds to certain area projects, whereas the fundamental school building in Chicago is falling apart. Not a good way to finance schools. Both political parties are involved here up to their necks, and the present Democratic governor is starting to be discredited by his own party right now. His personal flight costs are up 2000% over past governors and some "friends" are worse. Plus after Ryan, you would have think the corruption would have been somewhat remedied. Illinois always remains the same. We need Abe back, ghost or not. Wasn't he HONEST Abe.

For the poster who keeps asking about Cloud Gate the "bean"- it is now not going to reopen soon- there is some kind of "glitch" which will take a couple of more million to repair. Some counties and kids in Chicago need their teachers to buy them pencils, paper, text out of their own salaries.
Old May 27th, 2005, 11:04 AM

Thanks for the reply JJ5. I don't think we'll have two days to spare but we've seen everything except the new museum / library.

Can anyone recommend a good place to stay?

Anything fun or unique on the old historic route 66 that goes through town?
Old May 28th, 2005, 07:11 AM

~ topping ~ anyone?
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 08:57 PM

I have been to the museum twice and it is an awesome place -- highly recommend it -- if you are a Lincoln fan there is much to do in Springfield - most in a walking distance from the library -- his home is a national park site as well only 6-7 blocks from the library and along the walk you can stop in the old state capitol where he gave his famous house divided speech and visit his law offices across the street from there.

Also worthwhile is a drive to New Salem State Park, where Lincoln lived as a young man before coming to Springfield the park is an entire pre-civil war village that is located in the woods along the meandering Sangamon River -- great place. Also as far as hotels -- there is a Hilton, and Renaissance Hotel two blocks from the Library
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 09:16 PM

If you are going to be there on a weekend use priceline, 3 star hotel, and you will get one of 2 nice downtown hotels--we never paid more than $40. They are almost empty on the weekends, as long as the legislature is not in session over a week end.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 05:22 PM

Thanks for the replies!

ChgoTrvlr71, Salem State Park sounds great, can you give me more info? Distance from springfield, time needed to explore, is food available etc?

Thanks!
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 01:18 PM

Sure, New Salem is a State Historical Site located about 20-25 miles west of Springfield outside of a town called Petersburg, there is pretty good signage to get there as long as you take the State Rte 125 out of Springfield.

If I remember there are one or two "snack" restaurants on the park property and there are several quaint restaurants in the town of Petersburg just 1-2 miles away.

They have camping facilities as well. I am not sure if they still have it, but they had a great amphitheatre that did an original lincoln musical in the summer that was quite good.

I think if you gave yourself a good 4 hours you will have more than enough time to travel there and see the whole park.

Old Jun 7th, 2005, 05:41 PM

The Dana-Thomas House (Frank Lloyd Wright) is another nice thing to see in Springfield. As for Rte. 66, you can eat at the Cozy Dog and have an original Cozy Dog (corndog). If you go in late summer, you can go to the state fair. Hot, but fun.

As for places to stay, the nicer places would be the Renaissance downtown and the Crown Plaza. There are a lot of nice cheaper chain hotels, though-Fairfield, etc. I think the Hilton has been remodeled since I last stayed there, which is a good thing. There is a good Italian restuarant downtown-Saputo's-if you're staying down there. Alexander's is also fun. You cook your own steak. There are also some higher-crust restaurants, too, but we never go to those : )