Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2018, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are taking a group of middle school students to Chicago in June (ages 13 and 14) and I am asking your thoughts on the Museum of Science and Industry. I have been reading some negative reviews that say many of the exhibits have become run down and that all of the best exhibits cost extra money. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
Old Mar 3rd, 2018, 01:56 PM

I think it depends on the kids, the purpose you're going for, etc. If the point is to just make them write a report on whatever they see, sure, base ticket is fine. They'll probably learn something.

One of the things I remember thinking unimpressive to the point of being funny was the farm exhibit. Giant plastic cow and combine or maybe it was a tractor. But it was outdated to me because I grew up in a rural area.. If a city kid went into the museum never having seen a tractor, maybe it would be educational. or maybe not. I think cow poop is more for the second grade crowd. on the other hand, it is a good museum in the sense that there is something for everyone. One of my favorite exhibits is Colleen Moore's Fairy Castle. That's what I went for, and it was well worth the trip.

That said. The impressive stuff, the stuff that is really interesting from a science museum fan's perspective, the stuff that would impress a 14 year old- That largely is in the special exhibits. So if I was taking kids that age, I absolutely would not limit it to the base ticket. I've been to a lot of science and industry museums, and Imo, they should just raise the price of this one and include more.
Old Mar 3rd, 2018, 02:21 PM
kja

I agree -- many of the special exhibits really are special, and IMO, worth the extra money, but it can make for a pricey day.
Old Mar 3rd, 2018, 04:58 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
If you are an Ohio teacher, why is Chicago Museum of Science and Industry so much better than the 3 that you have in Ohio?
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your input. I appreciate your suggestions. And I’m definitely not saying that the Museum of Science and Industry is better than the museums we have in Ohio. I’ve never been there, and was wondering if you thought it was a place that the students would have fun at. But I think I agree that just a base ticket wouldn’t be that interesting to them, and adding on the extras would get pretty expensive.
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 08:44 AM
kja

I think that many people consider the Museum of Science and Industry to be among the best science museums in the world -- and I think the one in Columbus often makes such lists, too. I think whether it would work for your students might depend on the extent to which they could each be assured of having enough money to enjoy at least one or two of the special exhibits and whether they could split up to indulge their personal interests. Your students are lucky to have a teacher who considers such things!
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 11:23 AM

It's probably fair to say there are some older exhibits. However, the place is huge and has plenty to offer.

Not sure what your transportation is, but the could be an added cost. I think there is a bus from right downtown to the museum, but only operates in the summer?

There are at least 2 permanent dded exhibit options: The uboat (submarine) and the mine. The Uboat is a great exhibit. My kids at that age were ok with it, but probably didn't take away as much as the parents did. The mine is a bit more immersive and has kind of a amusement park aspect to it.
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Bitter
It's probably fair to say there are some older exhibits. However, the place is huge and has plenty to offer.

Not sure what your transportation is, but the could be an added cost. I think there is a bus from right downtown to the museum, but only operates in the summer?

There are at least 2 permanent dded exhibit options: The uboat (submarine) and the mine. The Uboat is a great exhibit. My kids at that age were ok with it, but probably didn't take away as much as the parents did. The mine is a bit more immersive and has kind of a amusement park aspect to it.
no, u-boat and mine are both additional timed entry tickets. They are neat, though.

ETA: oh, sorry, realized you did mean “added” but permanent. Yes, the uboat is probably more interesting for adults; it was one of my favorite exhibits.

Last edited by marvelousmouse; Mar 5th, 2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 11:46 AM

I agree with the farm exhibit~I grew up in an agricultural area and found it somewhat cheesy. My favorite was the submarine exhibit, especially the feature about the Navajo code talkers.
Old Mar 11th, 2018, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by kja
I think that many people consider the Museum of Science and Industry to be among the best science museums in the world -- and I think the one in Columbus often makes such lists, too. I think whether it would work for your students might depend on the extent to which they could each be assured of having enough money to enjoy at least one or two of the special exhibits and whether they could split up to indulge their personal interests. Your students are lucky to have a teacher who considers such things!

Agreed, it’s pricey but well worth it. Definitely do the u-boat, the mine and one of the other special exhibits. There is also plenty in the rest of the museum that the kids will like, such as the cars, the zephyr, Main Street, the planes, the castle.
Old May 6th, 2018, 04:49 PM

The museum does fill up for groups. Illinois student groups are free, but out of state will not be too expensive. I think the Art Institute is more impressive, but given the age group they may enjoy the Museum of Science and Industry better. Here is the form to reserve: https://www.msichicago.org/visit/gro...ervation-form/