Search

Chicago with High Schoolers?

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2004, 02:55 PM
JWH
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago with High Schoolers?

Hi. I'm taking a group of 5 High School kids to Chicago next week for a tournament. During the day I figure the Museums, Navy Pier, etc will be fine but any suggestions on what to do at night? I suppose Second City wouldn't be appropriate. Also any cheap dining suggestions would be appreciated (I know we will go to Pizzaria Uno). Also...what is the name of the breakfast place that gives you milkduds? Thanks for any and all help (I'll need it!)
Old May 22nd, 2004, 05:10 PM

eveningslue Man Group, Navy Pier for the fireworks, ferris wheel view of the city at night; Grant Park for Buckingham Fountain at night. Where are you staying??
Old May 22nd, 2004, 06:12 PM

You mentioned museums, just wanted to say the Museum of Science and Industry might be a bit juvenile for HS kids.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 08:56 PM

You can get discount show tickets at the visitor center across from the John Hancock Building. There may some shows suitable for teenagers. There are folks there to assist you. They may have some ideas.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 11:19 PM

I don't think the Museum of Science and Industry is too juvenile for high school kids. I have enjoyed going there since I was in high school, and my kids continue to enjoy it. There is an IMAX there; a good space exhibit; fun jet simulation; great dollhouse miniature; the new railroad is fascinating (Seattle to Chicago), and lots more. Check out what's at the Oriental Institute at the U of Chicago, too, while in the area. (Check the website to see if it has exhibits of interest to these teens. It's pretty academic.)
The Field Museum complex is worth a day, between that museum (The Sue dinosaur exhibit is wonderful, with the trip back in time to the origins of the universe on the second floor; also Egypt is great); the planetarium (catch the interactive digital movie); and the aquarium (see the belugas and NW Coast exhibit, among others). The Art Institute will have a lot of paintings the kids have seen in books and has a neat miniature room exhibit. Cool boat trips from Navy Pier and the ferris wheel. Lots of stuff to do!
Old May 22nd, 2004, 11:21 PM

Oh, and be sure and not miss the mummies on the lower floor of the Field Museum. The kids love those! Good place to catch a bite, also, but underground. The aquarium has good eating with a great view, too.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 03:55 AM
JWH
Original Poster

Great. Sounds like we will never be bored. Can anyone follow up on the "lightshow" and fountain at the park...what happens? Also...we are staying in Rosemount (that is where the Academic Team National Championship Tournament is being held)...how long will it take us to get downtown? Thanks for all the excellent suggestions!
Old May 23rd, 2004, 03:58 AM
JWH
Original Poster

Oh yeah...anyone remember the name of the diner downtown that has a great breakfast and gives you donut holes and milkduds while waiting in line? My wife and I ate there when we visited Chicago. BTW, just want to say that I chose this tournament soley because it was being held in Chicago which I think is one of the best cities on the planet!
Old May 23rd, 2004, 06:30 AM

Depending on where you are in Rosemont, you can take the el train I believe and it will take about 30 minutes. Driving is about the same but will depend on the time of day. There is an 800 number you can call that will give you specific trains/bus routes to take from where you are to where you want to go. I think its 1-800-metra1. Since you're not staying downtown, I'd plan a day at the museum campus - Field, Acquarium and Planetarium with a walk to Grant Park and then on to Navy Pier to end the day.