NaPali Catamaran vs. Captain Sundown

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2004, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have experience with either of these two NaPali boat tours? They are both out of Hanalei Bay and we're staying in Princeville, so that is why I'm going with a North Shore operator. I currently have a reservation with NaPali Catamaran....but the sailing cat of Cpt. Sundown has piqued my interest.....Opinions/experiences with either or BOTH sought....Thanks.

KTinTX
Old May 22nd, 2004, 12:57 PM

We went on Captn Sundown and had a really great time. He's lived in Kauai a very long time and knows alot about it and the local politics that led to the end of most boat trips out of Hanalei Bay. Really facinating talking with him. HIs crew was great too. Always tryiung to make sure we were all comfortable. The boat only takes about 16 guests so it was never crowded. Nice fruit and bagel breakfast and deli lunch included. He uses the sails alot so if you like sailing rather than motoring you may prefer this.

The best part was the outrigger we took from the shore to the boat and then back to shore at the end of the trip. We caught a wave on the way back and "surfed" back in. Fun day!
Old May 22nd, 2004, 01:04 PM

We took Captain Sundown too - in 2002...might even have been on Suzie's rec if I remember correctly! We enjoyed it thoroughly. It was in September and the "big swells" of winter had not yet arrived. Guess what: they arrived the day we took the cruise. Captain went very slowly leaving Hanalei Bay so we could watch both dolphins and the pro-level surfers catching their outer reef waves - that was awesome. As we arrived at the cliffs, he decided it was too dangerous to snorkel, the swells were very big. At first we were disappointed, but the captain made it an adventure - he sailed straight for the cliffs and then turned around at the last moment and headed back out, and repeated this maneuver quite a few times. We got very close, and it was so beautiful. I (we) felt very safe as his skill was apparent. Did not mind missing the snorkel one bit (and we are avid snorkelers). Food was good, and as Suzie points out, the outrigger was a fun add-on to the adventure.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 01:23 PM

Funny Joan you totally described out trip in Sept 2001 as well. Great sail but too dangerous to snorkel;. I thought to myself what a drag it would have been to be on a boat out of Port Allen that motored around and still no snorkeling. At least we got to sail. Loved watching the surfers who used the kites. Looked so scary!!!
Old May 23rd, 2004, 07:53 AM

I haven't been on either (only on zodiac boats from Hanalei years ago), but am planning a family trip for this summer.

According to the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook, Na Pali Catamaran and Captain Sundown were both listed as good Na Pali tours to take as they leave from the North Shore (rather than any of the tours out of Port Allen that leave from the West Shore).

However, Na Pali Catamaran was the "favorite" listed. The book said they usually go into the sea caves during the trip, and Captain Sundown does not. Also, The narration on Captain Sundown was listed as "not very good (or accurate)". However, Captain Sundown does sail some of the way (Na Pali Catamaran does not).

Both were said to be good as far as the snorkeling goes (which they both do at the same spot).