Chicago museum suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2004, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be going on a short trip to Chicago with our two young children (they'll be 2 and 4). I was wondering which museums in Chicago have the most to offer for children this age. I've heard the aquarium is fabulous (we've taken them to several aquariums and they are always a big hit). I realize there is an actual Children's Museum on Navy Pier as well. How is it? We've been to a lot of Children's Museums and they tend to differ in quality - is this one really good? I know there are a lot of other museums in Chicago as well - Is there on w/dinosaurs? My son would love that! Any help would be appreicated!!
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 05:51 AM

I loved the Chicago Museum of Natural History when I was a child, dinosaur bones and all. At their age they may appreciate the aquarium, but the last time I was there (1994 or so), it was a big disappointment after frequenting the ones in New Orleans and Chattanooga. I remember it as being very dark & cramped, and many exhibits were just empty tanks. Someone who has been there since then may be able to give more accurate information.
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 06:41 AM
JJ5

Just typed a long post and it didn't "go". But ejcrowe told you about Field anyway.

The two other things we do with kids your kids' ages are Brookfield and Mus.of Sc.& Industry. They are not downtown.

If you can manage the Brookfield trip, the kids will love it. They have the best interactive childrens' area I have ever seen. My daughter brings her 4 & 2 year olds there at least 3 times a year.
They get to dress up, do arts, play with docent / animals, scale the interactive displays themselves, docents are everywhere to help. They never want to leave. If it is possible, this is worth the trip alone, but the monkey house is also great for kids. They love the steps / posts etc. Gorillas are terrific. If the weather is clear and not raining, and you have time, it is a superlative day with these age children.

We did the Shedd with 5 kids under 7 last spring and had 3 very good hours with minimal problems. They enjoyed that too.
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 07:15 AM
JJ5

Forgot to say, that Brookfield is inside/ outside but that the large (huge) childrens' area is inside- no need to worry about weather in there.

When I was a child of 4 or 5, my mother used to take us on the bus downtown and would shop in Marshal Field's on State St.for hours- going to all the numerous other floors.. While she shopped the lady who ran the toy department would have a place for us to play, and they allowed us books, and all the display toys. Sometimes we would read stories aloud, and they would have donut holes on occasion for us. Floors are still the same wooden, creaking boards with added layers of shine, but the department is tiny in comparison and nothing else remains the same. Those were the days for shopping at Fields, and when I walk in there now- I have actually cried. Elegance is lost.
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 08:17 AM

The Navy Pier Children's Museum is quite good. Your little one is on the low edge of the age range, but they do have a special section for toddlers. My kids favorites were the water play area and the build-your-own-contraption-and fly-it section; these are housed in the two historic towers you see at the front of Navy Pier.

Brookfield Zoo is a wonderful zoo; I'd also recommend Lincoln Park Zoo, which is much more compact, close to downtown, and free. Just north of LPZ, the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum has good exhibits for school-age children. For dinosaurs, the Field is the place- it's grand! Go during the week. You might want to preview the attractions at
http://www.fieldmuseum.org/exhibits/
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 08:35 AM

One warning about building up the children on "Sue."

Some friends took their young granddaughter and she was crushed to discover at the museum that it was just a bunch of bones. She though she was going to see a dino!

Keith
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 06:11 PM

I would highly recommend the aquarium. I thought it was one of the nicest aquariums that I have been to and I think both children would be facinated (we were just there in August and I didn't see any empty tanks).

I also agree that you might want to go to the Field Museum on *free* day because that one might be difficult for the two year old to tolerate for too long a period of time. But I do think your four year old will be in awe of the size of Sue!

Have a great time in Chicago