Search

Chicago with kids

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 01:14 PM
Julie

Chicago with kids

I'm considering a weekend trip in November with my family, including kids ages 7 and 9. The American Girl store is an easy choice to please my daughter, but are there any other suggestions for activities that would appeal to my 9-year-old son (as well as my husband and myself)? I understand the Chicago DisneyQuest closed, right? I would appreciate any input.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 01:21 PM
Jacque

Our kids (3,6,and 8 at the time) loved the Field Museum, Navy Pier (especially the kids discovery museum there), and the zoo. The also liked the Rainforest Cafe since we don't have them where we live.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 01:24 PM
Missy

I was there recently with 5 and 7 year old boys. They enjoyed the Lincoln Park Zoo (and we're from San Diego where they've gone to the Zoo more times than I can count). It's a very different experience with the animals really close to you. They also had a blast at Navy Pier (there's a ferris wheel, mini golf, other rides, as well as a space themed huge McDonalds). The duck boat? Someone else may be able to right the name here. A big yellow boat, leaves from navy Pier. FAO Schwartz is great there on the main shopping street. Also the public art that is all over the city was a huge hit. We've been there for the one with cows and the couch one. I'm not sure what it is now.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Missy

I forgot to add the aquarium...pretty good exhibits, the octopus was the big hit. I think it's near the field museum? Some musuem anyway.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 03:58 PM
ChiTownLover

This looks like something your kids might like. You will probably have to patch the truncated url together.

Grossology!

http://www.naturemuseum.org/museum/extemp.html#gross

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 04:14 PM
patg

Don't miss the Chicago Children's museum at Navy Pier. The Notebaert museum is also good for that age group, and since it is right next to the Lincoln Park Zoo, easy to combine in a day's viewing, weather permitting. All of the major museums have exhibits for children of that age group; the best thing to do is to prepare them with a little research, and everyone should have a great time!

Yes, Disneyquest is closed. BTW, Michigan Avenue can be monstrously crowded on pre-Christmas weekends, so try to spend time away from there. See metromix.com and the Chicago Convention and Visitors' Bureau website to help with your plans.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 05:20 PM
Michele

Our family spent the weekend in Chicago 18 months ago when our kids were 8 (g) and 6 (b). My daughter and I went to the American Girl Tea and show while the boys went to the Niketown Store.

Our favorite place was the Museum of Science and Industry. http://www.msichicago.org/ We got there 5 minutes before it opened and they had to kick us out when it closed. And we still didn't see everything. So many hands on exhibits. And a great water works play area.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 06:06 AM
m

The Science and Industry is a must. The Aquarium is right next to the Field museum, both are well worth the visit. A planetarium is also in the area. They have a shuttle running between the 3 museums.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 07:30 AM
deb

You will have a great time! We went with our 4-year-old daughter and 8-year-old son about 2 months ago. Your son's favorite place to go will be the ESPN Sports Zone. Your husband will probably enjoy it, too. It's filled with video-type games, air hockey, televisions showing sports, etc. We visited three different times. Even my young daughter enjoyed it. If you get hungry while they're playing, have a snack at the bar upstairs. The platter of six tiny cheeseburgers (slammers) you can share is a good and inexpensive way to tide over until a late dinner.

We also made two trips to the Navy Pier, which the children loved, rode everything, played miniature golf, but it may be too cold for you in Nov. We all enjoyed the Field Museum (that's where Sue the dinosaur is). They enjoyed riding the El (we went to a Cubs game). I've heard good things about the Shakespeare Theatre on the Navy Pier but we weren't able to go.

Be sure to have deep dish pizza at least once! We enjoyed Giordano's.

We stuck with activities the children would enjoy and didn't do any shopping (except at the American Girls doll store) or go to the Art Institute or do anything we would have done as adults. Our children loved the trip and have asked to go back for a week next time. We probably will make a weekend visit to Chicago an annual event.

I asked my daughter the other day what her favorite vacations have been, and she immediately said "the Disney cruise and Chicago!" (And she's been on a lot of trips.)

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 08:52 AM
rd

NIKE and SONY stores