Chicago Hotel with Toddler

Old Mar 13th, 2003, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago Hotel with Toddler

Tagging along with Dad on a business trip. Want to be close to Navy Pier (I think anyway - is that a good place to walk around with a toddler?) and other attractions (Art Institute and Children's museum). Would love a place with an indoor pool, and probably should go somewhere family friendly . I've looked into The Embassy Suites and the Renaissance, can anyone recommend one over the other, or have any other suggestions? Husband has something happening at the Summit Exec. Centre.
Also - any dining suggestions?

Thanks! Mo
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 02:29 PM

You could spend every day at the Children's Museum, which is located on Navy Pier; seriously, I used to take my little ones there every week. The Art Institute isn't going to hold a toddler's interest, although there is a children's area in the basement of the east section, it is geared towards an older child. The Field Museum would be my second choice for a toddler; I hope they still have their children's area, which had lots of things for touching, play and dress up. And the kids love the mastodons and dinosaurs there. Go on a weekday during school, and you won't have to worry about disturbing anyone. Lincoln Park Zoo is open year-round and has a nice kids zoo, plaus there is a large playground just across the street from the entrance near the kids zoo.

Of the hotels you've selected, the Embassy near Navy Pier is probably more convenient. The Renaissance is fine, but not walking distance to anything I've mentioned.

Not familiart with the Summit Exec Center - where is it? Not in Summit, I hope.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 05:22 PM
Slw

The Swisshotel is near Navy Pier. Has a decent indoor pool and nice large rooms. Navy Pier has a great hands-on children's museum. Also, there is a fountain in the park in front of building that kids love to play in. Bring a change of clothes!
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 07:18 AM

Our city-raised kids always enjoyed the Farm in the Zoo at Lincoln Park. Lots of farm animals, hatching chicks, and so forth. The Renaissance has a nice pool which a toddler would enjoy, but is right in the North Loop and not really walkable to Navy Pier.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I can't wait to play at the Children's museum. I also hope its warm enough to play in the fountain. My husband booked the rennaissance, but i will probably have him cancel based on feedback here and check out ES and Swisshotel.

Pat G. The Summitt is somewhere on N. Michigan Ave in Chicago.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 03:32 PM

Yes, 205 N. Michigan. It's more convenient to the Renaissance, but not too far from the Embassy.

BTW, Swisshotel is not that close to Navy Pier. See http://www.chicago.il.org/
for maps of hotels and lots of tourist info.
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

patg,

Thanks for the website!!! Its terrific.

Mo
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 10:08 AM

you could also visit the museum of science and industry or the field museum. both of those you'll need trasportation (bus is fine or taxi). check the weather at the last minute, it's irratic.