Reload this Page >

LAX /ONTARIO AIRPORTS

Search

LAX /ONTARIO AIRPORTS

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 10:19 PM
Giles

LAX /ONTARIO AIRPORTS

Planning to visit California latter part of year with the objective of attending the Pasadena Rose Bowl Parade. Please share information as to best location to view parade, good restaurants, other sights in area to visit. Will be there 7 days. What day excursions would be feasible travelling time? Which airport should we use? All comments appreciated.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 10:23 PM
Tom

Burbank airport is yet another option though it might be more expensive depending on where you're coming from. Ontario would be my choice. Decent sized airport, but easy to get in and out of and an easier freeway system to manuever than around LAX.

Tell us a little more about your travel group - ages, interests, etc.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 10:36 PM
Penny

I would suggest Burbank Airport also, very easy to drive to Pasadena from there. What are your interests and pastimes?

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 08:24 AM
Merilee

I flew into Ontario Airport for the first time last summer and it was great...what a difference from the chaos at LAX!

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 09:06 AM
Al

If you're going to be visiting all of Southern California then it might not make such a difference which airport you fly into. I'd check a site like hotwire.com for rates and include all the airports...LAX, John Wayne, Burbank, Long Beach and Ontario. Go with whichever has the best rates or whatever. You don't mention where you're coming from and I don't know if non-stops are important to you. Good Luck

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 09:37 AM
Al

Also, as far as excursions, you probably may want to visit San Diego for maybe a day or night (maybe too limited time wise), and Santa Barbara (my favorite!). Newport Beach and Laguna Beach are also nice. Enjoy.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 09:48 AM
hector

Definitely choose Burbank Airport for ease and convenience, unless you are flying in & out mid-day on a Saturday or Sunday in which case LAX is manageable.

To beat the traffic on parade day, the best place to view the parade is about 3/4 of the way towards the end, near Wilson Street. From 4am to 8am, the freeways are crowded with folks heading for the parade. By 8:30am the parade has begun and the traffic is nil. The parade does not reach the 3/4 mark until about 9:30am, so you can drive to the parade AFTER the traffic has disappeared, take your place, and still see the parade from beginning to end, as long as you are towards the END of the parade route instead of the beginning.

There are no bleachers at this point however, so you must stand on the sidewalks or sit on the curb.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 01:02 PM
xxx

Ontario gets my vote for ease and convenience.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 05:18 PM
meg

Depends on when exactly you will be flying in and flying out.

Nobody in their right mind would recommend the drive between Ontario and Pasadena at certain times during the weekdays.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 07:45 PM
g

Traffic is going the opposite way from Ontario to Pasadena during the afternoon and evening commute, so it's actually mush easier to get to Pasadena from Ont than other local airports.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 09:03 PM
Giles

Tom, thanks for your message. Here's more information. We are a small group
(10), mid to late 50's, travelling from
JACKSONVILLE, FL. Don't get that way too often so would like to see as much of surrounding area as possible. Have
been to San Diego and Los Angeles in past, but will include LA in this trip also. One in group would like to see the Crystal Cathedral. We have heard about a train trip thru the Hermitage Valley. Is this a good thing? Haven't yet decided what city to stay as getting information from all you travelling Fodorians as to special interest in area. Enjoy theatre, history, nature, beach/swimming, fine dining, city sights. Al, tell me more about your favorite, Santa Barbara. Thanks to all. Keep those comments coming!!!

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 10:01 PM
Cali

We fly quite frequently and we will do anything to not fly in and out of LAX. If at all possible, we love to fly into and out of Ontario. It is a dream! Very easy and easy drive to Rose Bowl Area.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 10:06 PM
xxx

I think you must be mistaken about the location of Hermitage Valley - not a Southern California location.

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 11:04 AM
kam

We used to live in Pasadena. I would fly into Burbank and try to stay in Pasadena which offers much more than the Rose Parade (though that is spectacular) Norton Simon Museum and the Huntington Library have great art. Crystal Cathedral is somewhere down in Orange County.You can also buy tickets for bleacher seats at the Rose Parade. Lots of good restaurants in Old Town Pasadena--try Yugean Kang, Sorriso, Twin Palms.The day after the parade all will be cleaned up and back to normal so you'll be able to see it as it normally is. Gotta say also that Ontario's new airport is a dream, but I still think Burbank is the better choice.

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 01:09 PM
bobcat

Burbank is by far the closest airport to Pasadena. Ontario is the farthest. Even if the roads were jammed between Burbank and Pasadena it'd still be a shorter drive between Burbank and Pasadena than between Pasadena and Ontario.