Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page > Your opinion of airports with limited announcements

Your opinion of airports with limited announcements

Dec 28th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Your opinion of airports with limited announcements

After spending one hour at the LAX airport, I began to remember recent visits to other airports where announcements were limited. At London Heathrow airport in June, only final boarding calls were made over the PA system. At Madrid's Terminal 4, one announcement would come on each hour reminding people that boarding calls were not made over the PA system and one should arrive at the gate early. I ran into airports in Cyprus and Malta that did not make announcements or boarding calls.

But at the LAX airport, every two minutes there was an announcement about the 3 ounce rule for liquids (I'm at the gate), leaving luggage unattended, a non smoking airport, only one bag and one carry-on are permitted, I had to wonder, if I got on the PA and announced that there was a man with a gun so get down, would anyone listen.

Do you think it would be possible to board a plane using only the television monitor?
Dec 28th, 2011, 03:56 PM
J62

Here's a clip of LAX airport announcements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyOX4G7TmE0
Dec 28th, 2011, 05:28 PM

J62, I wish there was a "like" button for your post.
Dec 28th, 2011, 06:14 PM

I just wish I could understand the announcements.

LAX is my home town airport so I fly out of there a lot and Im always saying, "WHAT? What did they say?" The person next to me usually shrugs.
Dec 29th, 2011, 02:51 AM

The Peter Principle states that "in a hierarchy every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence", meaning that employees tend to be promoted until they ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Principle
LAX promotes folks on this principle hence all their problems.
Dec 30th, 2011, 08:41 AM

At DFW back in Nov. we were at the luggage carosel(sp) waiting and my name was called over the PA, and the rest of the message was inaudible. I went to the nearest phone and asked who wants me? The gal on the other end said go to that phone over on the opposite wall. Couldn't find any number to call that seemed to be what I needed. Finally tried one, and he said I can't help you. Go to the check in counter. She said go to baggage claim. I was pretty frantic by this time. Just so happened my husband, who stayed by the carosel to watch for our luggage, saw a lady with a trolly with our bags on it!! What the XXXX?! He stopped her and said that's ours. She said they were trying to tell me that ours had come in on an earlier flight. If only I had been able to actually understand the garbled first announcement, or if they had repeated it after I heard my name. Sorry to ramble.
Dec 30th, 2011, 09:40 AM

I posted something a long time ago on the endless announcements at Chicago's O'Hare. There even an announcement in baggage about "...the cities are listed on the board in alphabetical order..." and how to match your "from" city with the baggage carousel number.

(Maybe we need an announcement on the aircraft when boarding that the rows are in numerical order.)

The endless "for your health (emphasis mine) and safety smoking is not allowed..." For my health? Then close the McDonalds in the terminal! Now, not for a minute am I really suggesting that, but just an example of the constant nanny over the speakers.

I had to wonder, if I got on the PA and announced that there was a man with a gun so get down, would anyone listen? LOL
Dec 30th, 2011, 06:30 PM

1965!! My point EXACTLY!!!!

All employees need to take a speech class and also learn how to properly use a PA system and how to hold the mike!
Jan 4th, 2012, 12:17 PM

Never been to LAX, but it sounds just like Toronto-Pearson (YYZ)! I was surprised, at Reykjavik-KEF, to not hear a single boarding call, or any other announcement - we went to our gate 35 minutes before boarding, and it was already packed with people lined up. Just read on the Web yesterday that Keflavik is a "quiet" airport and that they don't do any announcements. Somehow, we still all made it to the gate on time...!

Search this Thread