Lauderdale by the Sea or Ft. Lauderdale-comparisons

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are your opinions on the pros and cons of each of these two areas for a 5 day stay this summer? We have never been to either beach (first time to So. Fla. actually) and will precede our time there with a short stay in the Keys. We have two kids- 10 and 14. I have read from searching through old posts that LBTS is more laid back, which I like, but will it be boring for the kids? Or is it the right mix with being close enough to FL to fill the "activity need" of young teens? Any thoughts and opinions- including suggestions for accommodations- would be greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 02:09 PM
GoTravel

I think kids would enjoy LBTS better than Ft. Lauderdale. It is more laid back, traffic is lighter, it is walkable, low rise mom and pop motels, beautiful beach.

Ft. Lauderdale is high rises, money, yachts, beautiful beaches, beautiful people, shopping on Las Olas, high rise hotels and condos.

I love both but LBTS is more familyish I think.

Just my opinion.

Old Feb 19th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply GoTravel. In trying to compare prices of the various hotels in the two locations, it seems LBTS is a bit cheaper. I was disappointed to find out that one of the places in LBTS that I was considering, Villa Caprice, will be closing in June. When I called this PM to get quotes, I was told they had been bought out and would be replaced by condos in June. That is sad- it seemed like a beautiful little place. Now I will next call the Courtyard Villa.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 07:02 PM

We have stayed at both places, and I love both, but LBTS a little more. Check out www.highnoonresort.com in LBTS, and Waterfront Inn right on beach in Ft Lauderdale. Both are small, clean and not too expensive, but the best thing about both is their location right at beach, and with a pool on the property. Waterfront even has a great continental breakfast. When we stayed at High Noon the first time, we also made the trip to Key West (with 3 kids) and at the end of the vacation, they all agreed that they would have preferred staying the entire time in LBTS!!
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 10:46 AM
GoTravel

KandKsmom, LBTS has pretty strict height restrictions in place so I doubt it will be a high rise condo.

Old Feb 20th, 2005, 01:29 PM

KandKsmom I just stayed at Couryard Villa and really enjoyed the quite, private atmsophere. We had coupons for breakfast at Mulligans and also coupons for the bar there. The Hotel staff was very friendly.

The ONE THING you should check is the pending condo construction next door. The area is all fenced off and some cleanup was in progress. If the construction starts it will be LOUD.
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Hi again,
Thanks so far for the advice everone. I have been calling today to several of the LBTS hotels and was wondering about Coral Key Inn. Tripadvisor has one review that does not recommend it for children. I am curious as to why. If Stephanie (who I believe has stayed here) is out there, could you help me out with your opinion. Thanks again!
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 05:09 PM

I love LBTS. The beach is beautiful. But, the hotels have very small swimming pools and there is very little within walking distance, with the exception of one or two stores and a few restaurants, so you will have to drive to anything else.

I honestly think it's a great place for R&R for adults or adults with very young children. Just my 2 cents!
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

OK everyone, I am finally narrowing down some things, but need your
opinions to help me decide. I am leaning toward LBTS just for the low key factor and figuring we can drive into Fort Lauderdale for excitement if we wish. Considering the reply of BuffaloGirl causes me pause, though. After calling several of the recommended hotels, my choices are very much affected by the bedding situations each hotel offers. (With the two kids- boy/girl...) Here are the options:

1. Coral Key Inn- A 1 BR efficiency- Very inexpensive which is great ($79), but with 1 King and a pull out Queen couch. Has anyone been there to offer how comfortable the Sleeper couch is since I will probably be sharing it with my daughter? It is across the street (but with an oceanfront view the owner says since there are no buildings in front of them)

2. Captain's Quarters- They are oceanfront and offer either a deluxe efficiency with two double beds ($20/ nt more than Coral Key), or we could splurge and get two adjoining rooms for about twice the cost of Coral Key.

Of the two, which would be better do you think? Thanks so much everyone!