Las Vegas hotels..tipping at check -in

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to spend a week at the Paris hotel. Is it worthwhile to tip the check-in clerk, eg $100 to try and get a nicer room, or should it be more. We are paying approx. $200+ per night.

Thanks for any help
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 01:36 PM

The issue of tipping/bribing the front desk clerk has been discussed many time on these forums.

Try searching "tipping better room" for past discussions.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 02:39 PM

Right. This question comes up every few weeks.

I never worry about whether I might have been given a better room if only I had slipped $20 to the room clerk. Instead, at a hotel such as Paris, I assume that I'm going to get a nice room. When I arrive in the room, I don't touch anything except to inspect the view, the AC (is it noisy), and to look for any possible deficiencies.

If there is anything about the room I don't like, I call the desk and let them know what it is: "I was hoping for a view of the Strip, but I have a mountain view. Is a change of room possible?" "There is construction going on outside my window. Will you please move me to a room away from the construction?" In my experience, polite requests such of this are usually honored.

Old Sep 24th, 2008, 04:07 PM

That is not a tip - it's bribery. It could get the clerk fired and is unlikely to get you anything you couldn't get just bey being charming and asking nicely.

You should simply ask if there are any upgrades available - and what they cost. If the hotel is full you won;t get one - even with a bribe. If it's fairly empty you may well get one just by paying less than that.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 04:42 PM

Another good point, nytraveler. I had that experience in Hawaii last year. I booked a one-bedroom condo, and when I asked if I could upgrade, they offered me a two-bedroom condo with twice for square footage for $40 a night--an unbelievable bargain.

Old Sep 24th, 2008, 05:09 PM
jcn

On my first trip to vegas, we stayed at what was then the Aladdin. I had read what people said on these posts about tipping and how sometimes it would get you an upgrade. I told the guy that it was our first trip to Vegas and politely asked if giving him a tip would help me get a better room. He said "Before you offer me anything, let me see what I can do."
He upgraded us to a suite on the top floor overlooking the Bellagio fountains - for free. I had a $20 in my hand and felt silly handing it to him, but he did take it with a nice "thank you". What a view and a glorious room! I've been 3 or 4 times since then and have nver been upgraded again. The moral of the story is; sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but it sure doesn't hurt to try. Have a great trip!
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 05:20 PM

It's always free to ask, which I always do, doesn't hurt to have your players card handy either.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 06:35 PM

jcn, it's interesting that he said, "BEFORE you tip me", indicating that it was perfectly fine to do so. I think it would have been odd if you had asked about tipping him, he upgraded you, and then you didn't tip him.

maclean, my approach would be, "since we're staying a full week and we'll be spending a small fortune here, is there any chance of getting a nicer room?"