I Wish They All Could Be California Dogs

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2008, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

OK, well a bad attempt at an old Beach Boys tune, but I thought for those who periodically ask about dog-friendly hotels in California (and I suspect most of them are up in the Carmel area!), there was an interesting article in today's L.A. Times' Travel Section on posh So Cal hotels that are "putting on the dog", including the Ritz-Carlton in Marina del Rey, the Peninsula Beverly Hills, and, of course, the Beverly Hills hotel.
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like dogs just fine, but I don't like them indoors, and certainly not in a hotel.
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

A lot of people don't, but a lot of people do. And a lot of people have asked the question.

The purpose of the post was not to take issue with the subject, but rather to provide information.
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 06:08 PM

Thanks for the link, surfergirl. Interesting article. I appreciate you taking the time to post it (and so do my North Carolina dogs)
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 10:26 PM
lyb

>> like dogs just fine, but I don't like them indoors, <<

Do you have a dog? If so, do you leave outside all the time? It's cruel, and frankly, why bother having a dog then?
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 04:10 AM

It is not cruel to leave dogs outdoors. They are designed for outdoors, and my dogs love the outdoors. By the way, I live in rural area. I can't imagine having a dog in a city. I think it is cruel to leave them in an apartment all day. Not to mention, dirty and parasites they carry. I understand the original OP subject for posh hotels allowing dogs. Let me just say there is a reason that 99% of posh hotels don't allow dogs.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 04:47 AM

My dogs are where they want to be. If they want to be outside, they are free to go outside. If they want in, they can come in. Guess where they choose to be about 95% of the time? With me, LOL!

Serendipity42
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 11:26 AM

If I travel with my dog, then I always bring her BIG blanket, so when she's in the hotel with us, she doesn't leave her fur there. But I usually let her stay with friends who promise to spoil her, and she prefers that to being home without me. My dog too can be inside or outside but prefers to be where ever I am, since I'm alpha dog to her.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 11:48 AM
dmlove

I would rather not stay in a hotel room previously occupied by dogs either, This isn't a diatribe against dogs (I had a dog growing up, but he didn't travel with us). Anyway, the post was just informational...obviously there are posh hotels that DO allow dogs and if you like to travel with your dog, then it's good information to have (I just wish they would tell me whether MY ROOM had been occupied by a dog before I stay there ).

Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 12:23 PM

I'm about to go on vc with my dog, staying in La Quinta's. I must admit that I feel bad that the room gets covered in hair (she is an Aussie) but they do not seem to have problems with it.
I take her blanket and she is gone with us during the day, but still, a lot of hair gets left behind.
Regarding dirt and parasites... well all I can say is that she just had a bath and is current on Frontline, so she is clean. Just hairy.
What other economy chains allow pets, WITHOUT a supplemental charge?
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 12:29 PM

When we travel the first thing I ask when walking in a hotel/motel is "Do you allow dogs or cats" . . with a chearfull tone like I want them to.

If the answer is yes, we move on to the next one.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 01:06 PM

I have taken my dog on vacation with me a few times (to the same town), and I always stay in the same pet-friendly hotel. They have a set of rooms set aside as allowing pets; all others are non-pet. Is this an unusual practice? That way, you can be assured that the room you book has never housed a dog.

I stay in the pet-friendly rooms even if I don't plan to travel with my dog, just in case something changes at the last minute and I do need to take him along. I've never seen any evidence of it being a pet room, always very clean. I'd never know it was a pet room if I hadn't known when I booked. Of course, experiences may vary at other hotels.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 01:20 PM

La Quinta asks that you let them know you have a pet so they can put you in a room designated for pets.
Makes perfect sense.
I know that many people have indoor pets that are filthy and it kind of freaks me out to stay in a room that has had a nasty pet in it.
My dog is different, obviously

PS to Rich, all US hotels are required by law to accept assistance dogs. So it is possible that any given room may have housed a pet.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 01:22 PM

I know at least some chains reserve certain rooms for pets. Once I had made a reservation & told them about the dog at that time. At check in I forgot to remind them about the dog until after they'd assigned me a room (hadn't left the desk yet). The clerk said oh, I'll need to switch your room then.

So I'm sure there are lots of rooms at pet friendly motels that have never had a dog stay in them.

Serendipity42
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 01:27 PM

I grew up in the country. We had several dogs at various times. We had two doghouses. Our dogs were allowed to roam freely (we had a lot of space and a big woods for them). I don't even recall ever having a leash for any of them. The only time I ever recall any of them being inside was during a sub zero blizzard when we made a bed for them inside. Otherwise I resent the idea that we were cruel to our dogs or that they weren't happy or that there's no reason to have a dog that is allowed to be free outside. Next someone will be telling me we were cruel to our two cows, our goat, our pig, and our chickens too! We never allowed any of them in the house! I mainly feel sorry for dogs that are treated as if they were humans. They aren't.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 01:34 PM

. . "PS to Rich, all US hotels are required by law to accept assistance dogs. So it is possible that any given room may have housed a pet."

Yeah . . they answer with that when I ask, but then will say whether other critters are allowed or not.

Frankly, Ive stayed in some rooms in hotels that did not allow critters that were nastier than others that did . . so it is not a litmus test for cleanlyness!!
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 03:09 PM

<What other economy chains allow pets, WITHOUT a supplemental charge?>

Motel 6.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 04:00 PM

I had friends who circled the whole country one summer in a pick up truck with a big dog. They stayed mainly at Motel 6 which allows pets with no charge.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Were your friends John Steinbeck and Charley?!
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 07:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Surfergirl, I saw that article, and my first thought was, "I want that dog!" My second thought was, "I can't afford those hotels!"

BTW, the Cypress Inn in Carmel is dog-friendly. We've stayed there a few times and met some lovely guests. And their owners were OK, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -