Largest ski slopes near Scranton

Feb 25th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Largest ski slopes near Scranton

My son is moving close to Scranton to teach at a University near there and we(the grandparents) are interested in the nearest large ski slopes. This might sound strange, but we have always been focused on Utah, and now we will be turning toward the east coast for skiing. Thanks, Sharon
Feb 25th, 2008, 07:53 AM

Huh?

Seriously....that's really such a stretch of the imagination...

The New York Times did an article on ski areas about a month ago - I am pretty sure it was just Northeast Ski Areas. It mentioned several in New York State. Otherwise I believe you will have to head to New England or Quebec. But nothing will compare with Utah!

I hope someone on here proves me wrong for you...
Feb 25th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Oh wow! Thanks, anyway. We have never even thought about the north-east,and now I know why. what a bummer! S.
Feb 25th, 2008, 08:31 AM

Holiday Valley in western NY is about a 4 hour drive from Scranton. It will not compare to Utah but a nice place to ski for a a weekend. Otherwise you'll have to go to Vermont or Quebec.

http://www.holidayvalley.com/winter.cfm
Feb 25th, 2008, 08:37 AM

There are quite a few ski places in that area (just do a search for pocono skiing) but they don't compare to Vermont, let alone Utah. The mountains just aren't as big.
Feb 25th, 2008, 08:44 AM

I regularly ski at Jack Frost Mountain in Blakeslee, PA. Maybe 1.5 to 2 hours drive away. I think you are going to be a bit disappointed in the slopes in this area (compared to Utah) - of course assuming you are good skier

We ski here from approximately Christmas/New Years until about Mid-March. The slopes vary alot depending on the weather. The slopes have a tendency to get a little icy - and if it's warm, the snow can pile up around lunch time. If the conditions are just right, you will have a great time.

Here's the good news - compared to Utah - it's very cheap. Especially if you are skiing during the week and a Senior!

And what the heck - if you are already here - why not get a little skiing in. Skiing here is better than not skiing at all, right?
Feb 25th, 2008, 11:50 AM
LN

There's some decent snow skiing around Scranton. Right down I81 there's Montage Ski Mountain and there's some pretty decent ski slopes there. No, it won't be Utah or Colorado but, as the other poster says, it won't be as expensive either.

There's other areas in the Poconos and there's Seven Springs in the middle of PA (only about 2 hours).

Look and you shall find. Plus I believe there's some ski clubs at the University of Scranton. I learned how to ski in that area and it will keep you busy!
Feb 25th, 2008, 12:09 PM

Forget about powder. Learn to love ice.
Feb 25th, 2008, 01:13 PM

Actually, not much cheaper than Utah. $49/weekend day @ Camelback, $59/weekend day @ Alta, arguably the best skiers mountain in the US.

Stay in Utah. I just came back from CO, can't wait to go back...

If you're willing to drive to get in some decent skiing, head up to Jay Peak or Stowe, worth it to take a few days up there rather than ski in the Poconos, in my opinion.
Feb 25th, 2008, 02:42 PM

Holiday Valley is really a pretty good ski area. Peek'n Peak might even be a bit closer to Scranton. Itg is very close to Erie, oddly enough. Not too bad, either.

I hope you are not moving to PA - but rather visiting or hoping to find skiing for your son!
Feb 25th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Actually, we are checking into the skiing for ourselves. We have always been a skiing family and just thought we might focus on the east and kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.

I have always heard that the east snow could be somewhat icy. We just returned from Deer Valley a couple of weeks ago and the skiing was incredible. Apparently we lucked into the first blizzardless week in quite a while.

Thanks everyone, I guess we will "stay the course." Sharon
Feb 25th, 2008, 06:13 PM

I love Deer Valley!

Eastern snow is entirely different. And - it is not often particularly sunny in the winter, so that is a big difference, too. It is cold and icy and the mountains look like hills and you have to wear winter clothes!

But I guess it's fun and better than nothing. I used to love it - before I went to the Rockies and Sierra. Brrrrr!
Feb 26th, 2008, 03:16 AM

shanart:

Welcome to the Pocono region!

Lets start off by also saying: "Welcome to the East Coast Hills" (As opposed to Utah MOUNTAINS)

You can have an enjoyable day of skiing at:

Elk Mountain
Camelback Mountain
Both are fairly close to Scranton. Camelback is probably the largest ski area in that area.

Further north in NY State I would say the BEST bet would be Hunter Mountain. Probably the most 'snow sure' terrain within 2 hours of Scranton. Gets most of the NYC traffic on weekends. So mid week would be an ideal place to ski.

Then you have to head 3-6 hours north for the larger 'hills' of NYS, and Vermont.

I have skied Utah and can assure you that the only powder you will find will be in your make-up kit!!

BUT...the slopes can be very challenging in the East because of the "Hard Pack" snow/Ice, and the ski trails can be narrow and tricky to negotiate.

I also like the 'look' of the 'older' Catskill hills and Vermont countryside in the winter.
Feb 26th, 2008, 05:25 AM

You beat me to it! I was going to say Elk Mountain in PA and Hunter in NY. Otherwise go all the way to Stowe in VT. (I've skied Quebec and I don't really recommend it.)

Everyone is right about the skiing here being totally different. You have to apply a different method than for powder skiing.

Try it at least once. Maybe you will find it an interesting challenge!
Feb 26th, 2008, 05:48 AM

I went to college in Eastern Pennsylvania and have skied the resorts there quite a few times. Camelback is probably the biggest. I have to warn you, East coast skiing is nothing like the Rockies. It's icy and scary! Also, Camelback resembles a civil war battle scene on the weekends. Bodies strewn everywhere and general chaos.

Cabo - I was in Park City over President's Day weekend! We skied the Bird, Park City, and Deer Valley. All three were incredible, with Deer Valley being the best. I grew up skiing the mountains outside SLC, and it's my FAVORITE place to ski in the country!
Feb 26th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody. I have made copies and filed.
Bmw732002..Thanks for the welcoming word. We haven't been to Pennsylvania, actually, we haven't been west of N.J., come to think of it. We are always looking for ways to bring our children together, but the older ones won't give up Utah, not now, not ever. (They say)

Oh, well, maybe a summer visit might be nice.. and that's an altogether different kettle of fish. Thanks again, S.