Best Skiing/Snowboarding in Northeast?

Old Nov 25th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Skiing/Snowboarding in Northeast?

I've organized an annual ski trip for some friends the last 5 years, we've gone all points West (Whistler, Park City, Tahoe, Jackson Hole...) but this year everyone's feeling pinched for cash. We're local to Michigan, and looking for something better than the local slopes. I was in Tremblant in 96 and Killington in 97, enjoyed both places, but since we are driving we're looking for something a tad closer than those resorts, both of which are 11+ hours from Detroit.

There seem to be a lot of ski areas in Pennsylvania, New York, etc., that would be closer, I'm looking for recommendations. Also have heard good things about Snowshoe WV, but don't know anyone personally who's been there.

Preferably looking for a mountain with 1000+ vertical, and if at all possible, Cat skiing/riding available or in the vicinity, although that last requirement is *not* a dealbreaker.

Thanks in advance for any advice or recommendations!
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 04:08 AM
yk

IMO, no ski areas in PA are worthwhile for your ski trip. The elevation is minimal. The resort with the largest vertical drop is Blue Mountain, and the drop is just 1000ft with 33 trails only. The summit is at only 1600 ft so you aren't even guaranteed snow.

I used to live in Philadelphia and would drive to the Poconos to ski for the day. I'm usually bored by lunch time.
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 05:48 AM

Agree on Pennsylvania -- I go to the Poconos often, but only because it's a short drive for me. If your previous trips have been to CO and UT, you'll be pretty disappointed in PA. Not to mention the snow cover is iffy. Last year, I went a few times where only a small handful of trails were open.

I'd suggest Hunter Mountain in New York -- 1,600 foot vertical and 55 trails -- but that's still at 10-hour drive. At that point, you might as well go to Mont Tremblant, Vermont, or New Hampshire.

I've also heard good things about West Virginia but haven't been either!
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 07:26 AM

When?

I'd recommend going to VT in any case but pre mid Jan...it's considerably riskier to go to PA or NY. I don't know of any cat skiing in the east. Jay Peak probably has the best backcountry scene if that's a suitable sub for cat skiing.
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 08:49 AM

I believe a few areas in New Hampshire have cat skiing...
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 09:17 AM

I would pass on Pennsylvania for anything more than a day trip!

I love Hunter, but not for a week vacation locale!

tough to pick out an resort worthy of an annual trip:

Stowe?
Okemo?
Lake Placid?
Tremblant?

Those would be my local East picks

John
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 11:05 AM

You may find this site and its message boards helpful for W.Va. resorts. http://www.skisoutheast.com/
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 04:25 PM

Another Pennsylvanian who says don't bother. I ski Blue Mtn in the Poconos as a day trip, due to lack of anything better nearby.

As you've skied/boarded the west, you will be disappointed with ANY place in the east. Go west, young man!
Old Nov 27th, 2008, 08:30 PM

I just booked a trip from NYC to Telluride, 4 nights at a VERY nice hotel and 3 day lift ticket. All told the price (incl. splitting it with a friend) is $736 each. That, to me, is a VERY good deal. Flight is using frequent flier miles.

I've skied all over the world and grew up skiing in Vermont, so please trust me when I say that 1. It is NOT worth driving that long to ski in the NE (unless you hit it at just the right time) and 2. You will probably end up spending more with gas, car, food, hotel, and lifts.

I booked my trip on expedia.com and got a 3/4 day lift ticket of $137 included in the price. That is by far the best deal I've ever gotten on lift tickets. Except I also have the Colorado Epic Ski Pass, so if I lived there it would be great, but I don't but I will still be using it for at least 12 days this year.

If you are a good skier and been to places like Jackson Hole, it is soooo not worth your time/money to go to Hunter or the Poconos. Why not go to Boyne then and save yourselves the trip?

That said-I agree and go west. Fly to Salt Lake and drive 45 minutes to about 8(?? I've lost count) excellent ski areas. Alta, Snowbird, Park City, Canyons, Brighton, Solitutde, etc. It's worth the money and if you shop around really not all that expensive. I was there this past January and saw more snow than I'd ever seen in my life. Good luck!!!!
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 03:32 AM

I am not a skier, but have been to 7 Springs in PA. They say they were voted the #1 resort in the mid-atlantic by Ski Magazine in 2008. This might be a bit closer and better on the budget, while still having a nice time.

http://www.7springs.com/

Old Nov 28th, 2008, 05:26 AM

The vertical at Seven Springs is only 750 feet -- it's not even the highest in PA. The vertical at Whistler, to compare, is 5,000 feet. That's why PA is almost a guaranteed disappointment for a group of ski buffs.
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for responding - I'd like to clarify a few points since there were some questions:

We would be going mid-February, probably over the week following Presidents' Day.

As far as ability is concerned, although I was comfortable on the steeps at JHMR/Targhee, most of my entourage would like something a tad less gnarly.

I can swing the airfare to SLC ($178 on expedia from Detroit) but we're trying to keep the budget to a minimum, some of the crew expecting firstborn this year, others inbetween jobs, just married, new houses, etc. We're getting old, but not old enough to have disposable income
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 02:08 PM

Email Michael Boike at [email protected]. Tell him Abby sent you. He can find you good deals, I"ve used him for years. Also, what about going to SLC and then renting a condo that will fit everyone? You may have to share rooms but I find it always it the way to go if you want to save some money. Or what about going to Banff/Lake Louise? Fly into Calgary and then rent a condo. Look at skican.com for Canadian pricing.