Vermont skiing suggestions

Old Feb 15th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vermont skiing suggestions

Hi all. We are considering a family ski trip to Vermont. We have been spoiled by two trips to Park City, but are used to skiing the Poconos, so we have realistic expectations re: powder, ice, etc.

My husband is very good, my kids are good and I am a beginner intermediate who likes long cruising trails that preferably don't often cross over expert trails.

We don't need nightlife, but some restaurants would be nice. Since we would save lots of $$$ driving v. flying, we would consider a ski-in, ski-out lodging expense. But we would consider a motel farther out so we could cancel at the last minute if conditions look like they would be pretty bad.

A brief review has me interested in Killington, Mt. Snow and Okema. What can anyone tell me about these re: trails, conditions, etc.

We don't want to drive too far (we're in Phila), so have ruled out NH & ME. Would be interested in hearing recommendations in NY state as well.

Thanks.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 04:53 AM
bm

I would go with Okemo - it seems to fit what you want the best. It's a great mountain for intermediates - lots of long cruisers. Not a whole lot of difficut terrain.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 05:41 AM

My husband and I are also Pennsylvania skiers. I agree with Okemo - huge, family friendly and lots of intermediate trails (not the terrifying kind). I haven't been to Mt. Snow but my husband really loved it there. We started going to Stratton together and that is also a really nice, well run hill. There are a lot of motels close to Stratton but I think Okemo and Mt. Snow are your best choices for ski in/out. Personally, I wouldn't do Killington. We're going to Stowe and they're approaching record snow fall so you should be ok condition-wise.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 07:17 AM

My first choice would be Stowe, but it is about three hours farther to drive. I agree with others that Okemo is probably your best bet. It is the Vermont mountain that most resembles a western ski area, with wide, rolling trails and excellent grooming. Have never skied Mt. Snow, but I would nix Killington.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 07:40 AM

I will put in a vote for Killington, my personal favorite. I go every year. Here are my reasons:

Killington is gigantic (like 4 resorts put together) which means there is so much to explore...I never get bored. If you stay for 4 or 5 days, you can explore a different part of Killington every day.

Good variety of trails. I always go with a group of family & friends every year and no matter what level skiers, there are plenty of runs to meet eveyone's need.

Amazing long runs. There is one trail called the "Jaugernaut" that is 10 miles long!! Very flat and good for beginners and then there is another one called "Great Eastern." Also a beginner trail. I dont know how long it is but it takes about 30 minutes to ski down. So much fun.

(with my group of family & friends we always try to end the day with a group run down Great Eastern)

Then there is the heated gondola! How great it is to go up the mountain in a gondola rather than a chair lift? It is wonderful.

Wide varieity of accomodations. good packages for ski and ski out.

Plenty of shops and restaurants althought there is no town to speak of.

OK enough. I sound like an advertisement. I have been to Okema and I have been to Stowe but I always go back to Killignton.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 07:51 AM

This is a tough call, but personally I would also go with Okemo. I've skiied lots of times at both places but I think that you will enjoy Okemo more. Killington is great (our favorite place and we go every year) but it's a huge area and you may find it overwhelming for a family ski trip. When my nephews were young, we used to rent a ski-in/ski-out condo every winter at Okemo and it was fun for everyone. Sounds like you want an area that will be fun and comfortable for you and your family and I think that's Okemo. Also, if you want to check out Killington too, it's not that far from Okemo so you could try Killington for a day and see if you would like to chose that area next time.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 08:53 AM

I would vote for Stratton. At Killington, many of the long beginner trails are cat tracks that cut across the expert trails which is what I think you're looking to avoid.

I must have just had awful luck with Okemo because I think the conditions and grooming are horrible even though most people think otherwise. I must have just caught them on a bad day every day.

My wife likes Stratton because she can ski all the black diamond trails, it's clearly a notch flatter than Killington et al. your husband may be bored with the challenge. I have found the conditions there to be great. They also have in bounds glades, not sure if Okemo does.

Stratton has a village at the base and while somewhat phony, there are some decent restaurants on site.

Okemo, on the other hand, is at Ludlow which is a legit town, albeit small.

If you're more into the all-inclusive type of mentality, Stratton might be better.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 09:33 AM

We are big fans of Smugglers Notch for families. If you were going to be going as adults only, Killington and Stowe are great. In our research, however, Smuggs is tops for families.

http://www.familyskiresorts.net
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 05:28 PM

We visit friends in Ludlow every year, so we stick with Okemo. But we don't feel let down in any way. Sam's Steakhouse has great dining and there are a few good breakfast places as well.

See my blog entry here: http://familyroadtrippers.blogspot.c...-okemo-mt.html

(Now would be a very good time to go)

Tips up!
Dan
www.familyroadtrippers.com