Ski in CT or MA?

Jan 17th, 2008, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Ski in CT or MA?

I am planning a trip with my husband at the end of february. I would really like to go skiing, but I know that conditions are sometimes terrible at the end of february in the east since it gets too warm. So, saying that, I would like to pick a place that has both skiing and a cute town to be in for the weekend, if the ski conditions are not great.

I've been researching a lot and thought that Williamstown would be a nice place to stay and that would allow us to ski Jiminy Peak, weather permitting. Was thinking of staying at either the Orchards Hotel or the Maple Terrace Motel. A completely different option would be to go to Litchfield, CT and ski Mohawk Mountain. Was thinking of staying at The Tollgate Hill Inn.

Does anyone have any input? I am open to other suggestions too. Just looking for a place that has good skiing and a cute town and is not more than a 4 hour drive from NYC.

Thanks so much!
Jan 17th, 2008, 07:03 AM

Jiminy will have much better conditions being farther north.
Jan 17th, 2008, 07:15 AM

Jiminy Peak will probably have better skiing.
Mohawk is not very large - so not much of a skiing "Destination". The towns of Litchfield county though are very nice for touring, antiquing and sightseeing.
Jan 17th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help! Is Williamstown a nice place to stay or is Lenox better. Looking for some good restaurants and cute shops to go to if the skiing isn't great.
Jan 17th, 2008, 07:48 AM
J62

Mohawk is an adequate starter mountain. They do have good snow making capability.

A step up is Catamount, on the NY/Mass border. Bigger mountain, longer runs, very good snow making capability, but still just a starter/intermediate skill level hill.

Jiminy Peak is much better than both of those.
Jan 17th, 2008, 07:48 AM

I would stay in Williamstown as there are a lot of restaurants, etc but definitely drive through Lenox / Stockbridge, which do offer a lot of restaurants. One restaurant I would recommend is on Rt 7 in Lanesboro is the Old Forge. Lots of beer choices (draft and bottle = 100 different kinds) and really good food. Known for its chicken wings but everything is there. Has lots of entrees so its not your typical bar food. Will be very busy but its very good. Little biased since I used to work there.
Jan 17th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Is the Orchard Hotel and the Maple Terrace Motel in the town of Williamstown (walking distance to the restaurants/shops) or are they in the outskirts of town?

Has anyone stayed at either? I know the orchard hotel is more pricey than the Maple Terrace motel, but is it worth the extra money?
Jan 17th, 2008, 08:23 AM

Orchard Hotel is definitely on the outskirts. Few miles from everything. Not sure of the other one - by the map, it looks like it may be closer but still a little too far. I can't help with hotels very much.

For cute shops, definitely go walk around Stockbridge.