Hyatt,Marriott,Westin,or Sheraton next week.

Jan 16th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Hyatt,Marriott,Westin,or Sheraton next week.

Has anyone recently returned from any of these hotels? I (mom) am traveling with my son, age 21.
I think I have read too much....have read a lot of the other messages but some were dated
and I know there have been changes in the last year. Someone mentioned that the Hyatt is soon to
commence work in the next week or two.

The beach sounds nice at the Sheraton but the rooms at the Westin sound good.
What would please me is a combination of the two. Someone said they thought the Hyatt looked out of place...but I did enjoy the Hyatt on Kauai a few years ago.
I would prefer nicer rooms and I read some were remodeled In the last year. Some have been described as worn looking...forgot which hotel that was.
Also...do any of them have better chances of seeing whales right from the resort grounds. I recall years ago seeing one pass by our hotel In Cabo and that was
a highlight for me. I know I can always do one of the whale watching excursions...but just seeing one by chance is thrilling.
My son likes the beach but has a shoulder injury healing so he won't be all that active....no surfing. At least the doctor said not until April.

Thanks for any additonal insights.
Jan 16th, 2008, 05:57 PM

Where?
Jan 16th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

sorry about that ...Maui. is there a way to edit the message?
thanks
Jan 16th, 2008, 06:02 PM

It's been years since I've been. We enjoyed the Hyatt and the pool area. Then we moved to the Maui Prince and really liked the location - and the beach there is fabulous!

http://www.princeresortshawaii.com/m...ince-hotel.php
Jan 16th, 2008, 06:16 PM

The beach there -
http://www.hawaiiweb.com/maui/beaches/BigBeach.htm

It is often referred to as THE beach on Maui.
Jan 16th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

The Maui Prince and THE beach both look nice. We stayed in that area years ago. I thought I had it narrowed down a bit. We are only there 3 nights...quick trip before school starts back up for my son. He is more of a beach person.
Jan 16th, 2008, 06:43 PM

Here are 3 threads on the same subject.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35099326

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35093105

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35089112

We stayed at the Westin Maui 10/06 and liked it. The rooms were just being redone at that time.

Your son should love the area too, much more lively than Hyatt. Hyatt seemed to be more for an older crowd than Westin. Sheraton is a bit north of the Westin [a little more sedate than Westin, but not as much as Hyatt], but nice too.

Only 3 nights?? I hope you aren't coming a long distance for such a short stay.

Deb
Jan 16th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Deb...the more lively hotel is good to note. I was wondering about that...since I am traveling with a 21 year old...want it to be fun for him too. We are going to Oahu for one night so we can dive out to the North Shore to check it out. We are traveling from California..so we are pretty close. I read there are a lot of time share sales at the Westin..did you notice that? The last thing I want is someone trying to push a time share on me..via phone messages or at check in.
Jan 16th, 2008, 07:04 PM

There was a timeshare desk, but no one hounded us. We did get a special deal as we were recommended by a timeshare owner. We were asked to talk to someone, which we did for 5 minutes to get a couple of freebies. They asked us there if we wanted to do a 90 minute thing, but we declined and not another word was heard.

I think if you book a room via the regular means, the worst they will do is ask you if you want to go to a presentation to get some freebies. Just say no. Or say you are married and DH is home so you couldn't make any unilateral decisions. But honestly, I don't think they will be a bother.

Deb
Jan 17th, 2008, 04:58 AM

nicemama:
Stayed at the Westin (June 2006) and I thought it was great, enjoyed it been close the Whalers Village. Hyatt looked great (only visited the lobby) was there for a stargazing show that they offer which was great. As far as whales I remember reading here a trip report describing how they saw whales from their room and this was at the Sheraton. I did not encounter anyone trying to sell timeshares as Debi explained their is a desk but I did not even look that way. Please let us know what you decide and enjoy your time in Maui. Hope this helps.
Gina
Jan 17th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Gina...i read that too where someone saw a whale from their room at the Sheraton. i was wondering if maybe the way the land is...if some hotels jut out more and have a better chance of seeing one from the hotel itself.
How was the room at the Westin? I have read where at some of the other hotels, people were saying they needed updating,or were worn looking.
Jan 17th, 2008, 06:16 AM

I've stayed at the Sheridan and the Westin. The Westin is amazing and you can walk down to the Sheridan where the snorkeling is great. You can walk out by the black cliffs. it's a great place to teach kids to snorkel. because they can stand up if they get water in their snorkel so they confidence level is great. there is a walk way that connects all the hotels on the beach side. I loved staying at the Westin, getting up with a cup of coffee and walking down the beach watching the sun come up. The landscaping and pools at the Westin are great. I think the Hilton or Hyatt is the hotel that has Cascades and/or the Black Swan both of those are wonderful (adult) dining the other way from the Westin. We drove. If you wanted to stay right in Lahaina, Lahaina shores is the only resort operation there and it is within walking distance of everything, Holy Innocents Church, Banyon Tree park, beaches, restaurants and shopping.
Jan 17th, 2008, 08:20 AM

nicemama:
your welcome,the room was very nice two queen beds and spacious enough besides, how much time do you actually spend in the room? I had read not sure if here or tripadvisor that they needed repair, not sure if I got lucky or repairs had been done already but everything looked great and the beds I know I don't have to tell you about their heavely beds. I think maybe the Sheraton since it's on that cliff the water is deeper their? not sure I did forget to mention while we were their we would get up really early and our first morning there we were walking out side the hotel on the path they have and we saw two different school of dolphins just jumping around it was a nice welcome to paradise. Take care
Gina
Jan 17th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Yes Gina...i was looking at Google maps this am and saw that it is the Sheraton which extends out on the promotory...but i checked out the prices on those specific rooms and they were much higher and as you say how much time will we be in the room anyway.
I also read the Westin has a heated pool...that is nice to know.
We are planning on driving to the volcano on one morning.
Leaning towards the Westin I guess.
But Hyatt had a free beakfast with AAA ...it sounded like a good deal.
I read the Marriott was the original one there and was built prior to certain restrictions..such as how close the rooms could be to the beach. All Interesting info.