Out of the tundra and onto a beach hotel in Maui - your vote please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We can only travel from Feb.11th for one week.

You are all experts, and I am new to the Hawaii message board. Would like to surprise husband with trip plans. Taking our 16 yr. old teenager as well.

What is the weather like for a week around Feb.11th? Is Wailea less likely to rain/be cool than Kanapali?

Vote here for KeLani, Grand Wailea, Fairmont, Westin. What are the main differences? We want to have a great beach and nice oceanfront room, if possible. Which is the newest hotel, or most newly renovated?

Thank you.

Old Jan 8th, 2006, 06:52 PM

4 seperate posts on the same question in a couple of hours on a Sunday.....settle down filly. Call the hotels to find out about any renovations~
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 08:10 PM

I was in Maui at that time of year and also in the Fall. In my experience the sun is shiniest in Kihei and Kaanapali. Some of the areas directly in the lee of the mountain ranges are shadier in the afternoon. We stayed south of Kihei at Makena and named the afternoon cloud that appeared every afternoon the Makena Cloud. Wailea seem to mostly miss that.

The Fairmont Kea Lani and the Grand Wailea in Wailea have similar beaches. Can't go wrong with either plus there is a paved walkway along the ocean front connecting these hotels.

The Westin is at Kaanapali which is more like a Waikiki beach but less high rises and less people.

My personal choice would be the Grand Wailea
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, lunabug, for your advice!
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 08:42 PM

Hi Anne13,

My DH and I went during the second week of January two years ago. Close to your departure date. It is a glorious time to be in Maui (but then again, when is a bad time to be in parasise?)

I have not stayed at the hotels you listed above. I did want to tell you it a such a lovely time of year to whale watch. Sitting there on your lanai eating breakast and then all of the sudden you see a whale, it is truly amazing.

We stayed at the Renaissance Wailea in the Mokopu Beach rooms, it was wonderful. But I know it has been sold, and they are turning it into high priced condos from what I have heard, although I cannot say when that will happen. We also have stayed at the Sheraton in Kanapali, a beautiful resort.

Maui is lovely and sooooooooo relaxing. Enjoy it with your DH and DD.

Happy journey, Tiff
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 10:28 PM

Aloha, Anne13! What a nice surprise for your husband!! Decisions, decisions=fun!! First, know that whichever you choose has relative advantages, but you're almost guraranteed a wonderful trip no matter what your choice!
As one who knows that a happy relaxed child makes for happy relaxed parents, especially on a trip, I'm trying to consider your question from teenagers' points of view. My teenager and her friends have loved their trips to Hawaii--so will yours!
There's more activitiy--shops, etc-in Lahaina. That is closest to the Kaanapali (eg Westin) area. Kaanapali's a busier, more commercialized resort area with high rise hotels and a shopping /restaurant area, called Whalers Village. The teen can safely take off on his/her own for awhile in that area.
Re: Wailea, the pools at Grand Wailea are fantastic, which may be more of a consideration for your family
Having never been to Maui in February, will defer to fellow Fodiess on the weather question.
Some other suggestions to help are to check the web sites tripadvisor.com (for hotel reviews) and wunderground.com (for weather info)
Have a great time planning and anticipating!