Hawaii without reservations

Jan 16th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Hawaii without reservations

My wife and I are planning to spend three months in Hawaii next winter. Is it possible to fly to the various islands and then drive around and find places to stay without advance reservations? We plan to reserve a hotel room over Christmas and New Year, but would like to stay flexible thereafter.
Jan 16th, 2008, 07:21 PM

That will be high season, if you're speaking of Christmas and after. I would not feel comfortable doing that as all the best places get booked in advance, in my experience. Hawaii is VERY popular that time of year!
Jan 16th, 2008, 08:08 PM

In the winter? Don't do it without reservations!
Jan 17th, 2008, 06:59 AM

If you are staying on one island, you could look for a place to stay long term while you are staying at the hotel you booked for the holidays.

In any event, if you are willing to live with the potential disadvantages of not having reservations--go for it.

You sound like an adventurous couple.
Jan 17th, 2008, 07:01 AM

I agree with the responders. Christmas, New Years, all of winter and some of the summer are high season. You will end up taking anything which might not be what you like or can afford. For that period of time, you will do best to get a condo so you can cook when you want to. Three months will give you plenty of time to see and do everything you want on the islands you choose. We spent two weeks on Oahu, Molokai, and Hawii. We stayed in two condos and one B & B. It worked well. You can certainly start now to find the appropriate places but don't wait!

By the way our beachfront condo on the north shore of Oahu was the best!!! Visit but do not stay in Honoulu or Waikiki. It is like LA which also has beaches. Check VRBO for your condos. Have fun!
Jan 17th, 2008, 08:12 AM
character

As above, make sure you have reservations for accomodations on all the holiday days- which includes the President's day holiday. Also, posters here mentioned that it was difficult and expensive to get rental cars the week after Christmas.

There are multiple inter-island flights every day, so that is not much of a concern.

If you start looking at really attractive places on www.vrbo.com, you will see that some are already booked through the Christmas holidays, or into next year. If there is a place you really want to stay, then make a reservation. You need to start reviewing your daily accomodation and rental car budget now.

Jan 17th, 2008, 08:43 AM
TahitiTams

Listen to our Mel's!!