Vermont Ski Resorts

Nov 9th, 2004, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Vermont Ski Resorts

I need help with the Vermont ski resorts. My brother has a house near Mt. Snow and Stratton. Can someone tell me which is better for beginner skiers and families? Is Haystack a part of Mt. Snow? Is that better than Mt. Snow?

Does anyone know if Okemo is also near these resorts? If so, which is that for beginners?

Do any of these resorts have tubing?

Any help would be appreciated. I have not skied since I had my son 4 years ago. While I was a pretty good skier, I will probably be starting over and my son is just starting. Thanks a lot!
Nov 9th, 2004, 07:46 AM

I'd pick Mt. Snow over Stratton, although both are oriented towards families and both have ski schools for beginners. Haystack is part of Mt. Snow. Okemo is almost an hour and a half north of Mt. Snow. You will find that it won't take long to get back your "ski legs".
Nov 9th, 2004, 07:53 AM

I've always liked Stratton for the atmosphere, proximity to Manchester for things other than skiing, and the general terrain. Mt. Snow is the closest Vermont mountain to NY, and therefore is really really crowded on the weekends. Stratton has an excellent ski school. Okemo is a great mountain, but a bit far from these two. Don't worry, you'll be amazed at how quickly you will get it back, it's like riding a bike
Nov 9th, 2004, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your posts. One of you prefers Mt. Snow and the other Stratton.

Re: Haystack - It says on the website that it is a well kept secret. Do you recommend it?

Do either of you know about tubing?

Thanks again!
Nov 9th, 2004, 08:42 AM

I checked on the Mt Snow website - they do have tubing. I haven't skiied Haystack in years - it was an intermediate mountain with some nice cruising runs. I understand that it is only open on weekends - might be a good place to avoid the crowds.
Nov 9th, 2004, 09:02 AM

I also vote for Mt. Snow over Stratton. Both are family-oriented and have similar terrain, lots of green and blue trails. Although both are crowded on weekends, I have always had a better experience at Mt. Snow. However, that being said, I highly recommend Haystack over either of the other two. Haystack is about a 5 minute drive from the base of Mt. Snow, and technically it is considered a part of Mt. Snow. Haystack is considerably smaller than Mt. Snow, but with the same terrain and MUCH less crowded. If you buy a lift ticket at Mt. Snow you are allowed access at Haystack, however, it does not work vice versa. Depending on when you will be there, you may want to ski a day or two at Mt. Snow, preferably weekdays, and then a day or two at Haystack. I do not have experience with ski schools at either place but I would imagine that there would be more comprehensive programs/availablity at Mt. Snow than Haystack.

Search this Thread