Help me choose where to stay on Waikiki Beach

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a family of four (mom, dad, two teen boys) and will be staying in Oahu for three nights before going on to Maui. I'm looking at the Embassy Suites, Hilton Vacation Club, and Waikiki Beach Tower. These seem like they would be better for a family than two adjoining hotel rooms. Your thoughts re: location, services, etc.? I know the Embassy Suites is the newest of all of them, but I've heard the walls are thin and the view is getting obscured by the new Trump Tower. I'm curious to hear thoughts about the other two places. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 05:07 PM

Rosebud,
I assume that Hilton Vacation Club is on the Hilton Hawaiian Village property. This is a really nice place to stay. I've stayed there twice in past years. But, I was just on Oahu in September and noticed construction at the Hilton site. HHV has a number of pools, restaurants, shops, etc etc You really don't need to leave if you don't want to. It is also close enough to Kalakaua Avenue shops and restaurants that you can easily walk to them.

I do not have any information about the other two places you mentioned.
Carol
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 05:39 PM

I assume you mean Resortquest Waikiki Beach Tower. Its located just across the street from the beach near Duke's statue & the Hula Mound. Don't know anything about the hotel, but it has a great location.

Lots of good reviews on Embassy Suites. The construction at Trump Tower across the street doesn't seem to bother anyone. It is located in the new Waikiki Beach Walk. Probably not much of a view unless you are on a higher floor. I think they have a free breakfast.

Not sure what tower the HHV Vacation Club is. But you can't go wrong with this hotel.

All 3 of the choices are good, so you can't miss.

This link has a good magnification feature.

http://www.spotlighthawaii.com/Spotl...kiki-2008a.pdf
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 06:16 PM

I have been to Oahu 60-70 times since 1988 and have almost ALWAYS stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village!

They have a terrific facility and the staff is extremely friendly and customer service oriented.

The Ali'i Tower is a treat (I met the band N'Sync in the hot tub there...and I had no idea who they were!).

Lots to do in the area to keep everyone in the family amused...again, a great property! I know you won't come away disappointed!
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 08:14 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Hilton Hawaiian Village has the most "resort" look & feel to the property plus is situated directly on the beach.

The other two are not directly beach-front.
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 10:03 AM

I just returned from my first stay in Waikiki. Stay away from the Embassy Suites. The construction for Trump Tower, and that other place is awful and the traffic is horrendous in that area. I really hated having to go in and out of Waikiki through that horribly congested corridor of construction and traffic just by the Embassy Suites/HHV/Trump Tower corner.

I found this map helpful in getting an idea where all these hotels are, although I did not book anything through them:
http://www.discounthotelshawaii.com/waikikimap.html

For a family of 4, I think the Hilton property would be realistic for such a short stay. Personally, I much prefered the beach farther east, near the Resort Quest you mention.
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 03:27 PM

We stayed at resortquest waikiki beach hotel. It is across from the beach. Good pool area, breakfast to go if you want to picnic, teenage friendly food downstairs ie Subway The rooms are a bit small for family of 4 as we are but we didn't spend all that much time there anyway . Good service for a very reasonable price.
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Hilton Vacation Club units are in the Lagoon Tower. Can you walk to restaurants and shops from Hilton Hawaiian Village? It's our first trip to Hawaii, so we do want to explore and not just stay at the resort the whole time. And, yes, I did mean the ResortQuest Waikiki Beach Tower. They have 2 bedroom condos for rent.

Thanks to everyone for your comments. And thanks to dusty56438 for posting the map.
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 02:11 PM

You can easily walk from HHV to all sorts of restaurants and shopping along Kalakaua Avenue. You can either walk along the beach (might be a bit of sand in your sandals) and cut through at, say, the Outrigger Reef or Sheraton, or you can do it street side. Either way, very do-able.

All the pools and dining options and shops right on the HHV grounds are also a nice plus. It is a large resort after all.

I also enjoy buying a day ticket (can't recall the price lately) for the Waikiki Trolley, which pulls up right at the HHV. You can ride all the way to the aquarium, past Hanauma Bay, and back. It's fun to just sit and ride and enjoy the gorgeous scenery on the southeast coastline. You can hop on/hop off at your leisure as well. Another trolley comes along every 15 minutes or so.

The trolleys also go to the big mall (which is close enough to HHV to walk to) and Hilo Hatties (worth a visit for souvenirs IMO) and into the capital building/gov's house area, if that is of interest. The trolley is really a good way to see some of Waikiki/Honolulu without getting a rental car.

Enjoy your trip.

Carol
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 11:56 AM

Just returned from Hawaii and stayed next to the Hilton Hawaiian Village at the Hale Koa(Military) The Hilton was wonderful and we wandered all around it. You can take a good walk down the beach and see the backs of all the hotels. Waikiki is so much fun I don't think you could go wrong!
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 03:52 PM
GBC

For Marginal: I used the discount map that you listed. It was very helpful. Thanks. GBC
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 08:10 PM

We stayed in the Embassy Suites in June 07 and it was fine. Breakfast and nightly happy hour included in room rate like other Embassys.

Have also stayed at Outrigger Luana in a one BR unit, on Kalakaua Av backing onto Fort DeRussy Park. Nice place too, didn't have a restaurant but several within a few minutes walk.