Construction in Waikiki

Search

Construction in Waikiki

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Construction in Waikiki

Hi - I was in Waikiki January 07 and found there was a lot of construction happening, so lot's of noise. What is the current status? Is Kalakaua Avenue messy, due to construction work? I found last time, when on the beach there was constant noise... I would appreciate feedback from recent visitors or locals.

Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 09:53 PM

Construction is still going on at the Hilton. To the new tower and the road fronting it. (The power and phone cables are being put underground)

Work on the Trump tower is also ongoing and the Royal is still under renovation.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 05:47 AM

There is lots of construction behind The Outrigger next door to the Hilton, as well as at Beachwalk. And, as the previous poster noted, The Royal Hawaiian is still under construction.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 06:48 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Head down to the beach in front of Kapiolani park, far end of Waikiki, DiamondHead direction. It's much more quiet down there than the central part of the beach where the hotels are much closer to the sand.

Old Sep 4th, 2008, 09:50 AM

And once the Royal Hawaiian is done, the parent company plans to renovate the Princess Kaiulani, which could involve demo of the existing structure and expansion of retail space. Then they plan to demo the tower on the Diamond-Head side of the Moana and replace it with a taller (but narrower) tower. They also want to put op sea walls and expand the beach area in front of the Sheraton Waikiki.

These are just plans from one company; I'm sure there are more development plans in Waikiki involving other hotel groups. I think there's going to be some type of construction going on for a while at various sites in Waikiki. But that wouldn't keep me from visiting.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 07:28 AM

LuLuBea: Don't know how often it is updated, but here is a web site that I use to check out the construction going on in the islands.

http://travel-hawaii.com/hawaii_hotel_construction.html
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 09:38 AM

elkhoud- What a great site- thank you so much for this really helpful information!
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much to everyone!
It seems that I will go to a diiferent place this time. Don't like noise.