Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Aston Waikiki Tower and Aston Waikiki Beach hotel

Sep 10th, 2004, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

I have booked two hotels in Waikiki. I am dividing my stay between the Aston Waikiki Beach hotel and the Aston Waikiki Tower in a one bedroom suite. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Does anyone know the most convenient place to get groceries close to the Tower? Any suggested night spots or restaurants would also be great.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sep 10th, 2004, 07:50 PM

I stayed at the Aston Waikiki Sunset and found it to be perfectly fine. Basic groceries are available all over Waikiki at the ABC stores (sort of like 7-eleven). I would definitely recommend buying groceries most of the time b/c eating out is very expensive in Honolulu.
Sep 11th, 2004, 05:28 AM

Aloha wtg,

Stayed at the AWB Tower in March... beautiful large spacious condo. Full size kitchen and huge lanai. Reqest a high floor for better views and less street noise.

I'm curious why you're splitting the time between the two hotels... they are only a block or two apart w/ same views.

I debated between these two hotels and decided upon the Tower for the size of the room... and we really enjoy having a kitchen.

Very friendly staff... say hi to Eddy from Bob & Lisa in Chicago. They also have beach chairs & boogie boards for your use down at the valet.

Use ABC or Chinatown for groceries. Also, Tiki's at the AW Beach is a nice restaurant esp. at sunset. We also have walked down the beach to Duke's for sunset dinner, too.

Do a search for food / restaurants in Waikiki, and you'll gather a ton of info.

Don't miss a drive to the north shore up the windward coast!

Sep 11th, 2004, 06:08 AM

We are staying at the Aston Waikiki Beach in 2 weeks - will post when we return.
Sep 11th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I am staying at two hotels for a couple reasons. The type of discount I am getting is only good for three of my nights at the tower. Also, I really like to stay at more than one to see the differences.................I have heard that Duke's is good place at night as well as the Banyan something or other at the Sheraton. Any more suggestions would be great. I am a little worried about the AW Beach property based on what I have seen on tripadvisor. So, I will look forward to your review conlet.
Sep 11th, 2004, 06:41 PM

Makai1, did you have any trouble with bugs in the condo because of the kitchen (i.e. food)? I'm thinking of bringing the family over at Christmas and a spacious condo with kitchen would be ideal to save money on food. But I've seen the roaches in Hawaii and they are huge!
Sep 13th, 2004, 05:57 PM

Aloha Antlori,

Sorry so long to answer... I have been so blown away watching this devastating hurricane pounding some of my fav caribbean destinations...

We have been renting condos in Hawaii for the past 6 years... I'll never go back to a hotel room, EVER!

No problem with bugs as long as you use precaution... put food away, store sweets in the fridge... a little effort goes a long way. I've never encountered a roach in all my travels there...

You will love the freedom, AND savings of being able to save both time and $$$ by whipping up the simplest of meals or snacks. We love it. If you don't enjoy cooking or messing in the kitchen then read no further... but if you're into saving, then give it a whirl.

There's something to be said, after a day full of exploration, for kicking back w/ a bottle of wine, a good meal on the lanai, sunset and just chillin', no fuss.

I'm sure many would argue, but to each his own. Much aloha!
Sep 13th, 2004, 07:01 PM

We took the family to Disney World last summer and got a 3-bedroom villa. It worked out great because we could cook breakfast in the morning before we left for the parks saving money but more importantly time. I found whenever we went to a restaurant it took forever to get seated, order, get our meals, eat, pay. It was a major undertaking for our group of 7. When we came back at night we could kick back and watch TV and have a snack before bed. It worked out great. Something like that in Hawaii would be terrific. Thanks for reassuring me about the bugs. I guess it wouldn't be any different than Florida actually, because they have warm, wet weather conditions that bugs like so much too. We never had a problem there so probably wouldn't have to worry in Hawaii either.
Sep 13th, 2004, 07:08 PM

Antlori,

If you have entertainment book you will save much $$$ on this property.
If you don't have one, buy the new one for 2005... it'll be worth the savings just on this booking alone.

Happy planning & have a great time!
Sep 13th, 2004, 07:13 PM

BTW, Antl,

I have a "rather long" trip report you might enjoy from this last trip...
I know I love to read about the places I'm headed to beforehand, so thought you might enjoy the link.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...1&tid=34492836
Sep 14th, 2004, 03:40 PM

makai1: Thanks for the tip about the entertainment book. You weren't kidding about the long trip report! But interesting reading--gets me psyched up for the planning. My parents love Hawaii (especially Waikiki) and have been many times but I have only been once, many years ago, when I was a mere child--lol! They haven't been for awhile though due to high U.S. exchange rate (we're from Canada) and my mother's health. I'd like to have a family get-together there before her health deteriorates to the point that she can't travel. The tough part is getting my brothers and sisters to stop squabbling long enough to make the arrangements. I'm the only one who gets along with everyone so I always have to be the peacemaker. Anyway, your trip report has given me the motivation to put the pressure on to make it happen. Thanks for the help!
Sep 15th, 2004, 04:27 PM

Everyone...

Live Aloha
Sep 16th, 2004, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Makai1! I really enjoyed your trip report. I did just purchase the entertainment book. I noticed there was a coupon for 27.00 off the Polynesian Cultural center which almost pays for the book alone. I did get a good travel industry rate, so it may not help me with the hotel....but I am sure I will use others. I just posted another thread asking anyone which coupons were good to use. I really would like to know if any of the restaurant coupons are good!
Thanks again!!