Larchmont, NY to Hunter, NY - best way?

Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Larchmont, NY to Hunter, NY - best way?

Ok this task was thrown at me by my boss yesterday.

We need to get his wife from Larchmont, NY to Hunter Mtn. for our company snowboarding trip on Friday. I've checked Amtrak, which the closest route to Hunter leaves out of Yonkers, and he said that was no good. (There was a train out of White Plains I believe, but it connected in Penn Station which makes no sense to do!)
I checked with Adirondack Trailways, and there's a bus that goes, but it takes 4 hours and makes a transfer! (It doesn't even take 4 hours to get there from NYC!)

Does anyone know of another way I can suggest to him? I've wondered if there's a Metro-North - bus connection or other options, but so far have come up empty. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 06:57 AM

Website for Hunter Mountain is http://www.huntermtn.com. Click on "Resort Info" and Then "Travel Info" and you will see all sorts of public transportation options.

You might consider a limo service as well.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 07:17 AM

Why doesn't she just drive?
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Ok I can see this is going to be hard....

I checked the Hunter Mtn. website first of course, which is how I got the Amtrak and Adirondack routes, but they seem to have either a kooky schedule, or just the nearest stops are a little far.

She also isn't driving because my boss is driving up early in the morning with the rest of us, and my boss said she doesn't like driving far distances with the kids. If she was driving, obviously there would be no need to ask the question.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 08:53 AM

Get her a car service.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 08:55 AM

Missjanna - probably another gratuitous suggestion, but did you try the Metro North website? I would offer my considerable expertise on the subject, but it consists of the fact that my daughter once lived in Larchmont.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 09:10 AM

Hunter is on the other side of the Hudson River from both Amtrak and Metro North. The bus would get her the closest. Unfortunately, it's not very direct for a person starting from Larchmont. Most public transportation routes are plotted for carless city people, not suburbanites.

Aside from hiring a driver, I think she will have to bite the bullet and drive herself. How far a trip can it be? 2-3 hours? Can't she stop along the way to break it up if needed? Get a friend who doesn't mind driving the distance to take her?
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Tried the Metro North website which wasn't much help. He now says maybe they can leave from NYC, since they can take Metro North down in a half hour, but the bus routes still get them in at 9pm at night! (I'm only showing Adirondack as the bus going to Hunter.)

I'm guessing she will either have to take the bus from New Rochelle, or simply drive.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

BTW thanks all as always for your swift replies....this seems to be just one of those difficult routes...LOL
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 10:19 AM

New Rochelle isn't far from Larchmont if that's where she can catch the bus. Why was Yonkers no good? Last option: car service.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

One of the bus options was out of New Rochelle...leaves at 4:40 and gets there at 9:10pm which is about 4 hours.

Also just called some car services, and the cheapest I got was $250!!
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 01:42 PM

Hunter *IS* out of the way! I see that even taking a bus from Albany you must go to Kingston, south of Hunter, to transfer -- all buses seem to start in Kingston.

That said, she could take Metro-North to Poughkeepsie, then a cab to the Trailways in Kingston OR take Amtrak to Rhinecliff, then a cab to the same Trailways to complete the trip. Or Amtrak to Hudson, and a cab from there. Will the boss have a car? It's not that far from Hunter to Hudson, and she might enjoy strolling in Hudson if she has to wait a bit.

PS- Hudson City Taxi, Hudson, NY (518) 822-8880 I called them, and the price from Hudson Amtrak to Hunter is $50)