How much weight did you gain?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to Maui/Kauai for two weeks in April. Lots of talk about all the food. Trying to decide how much weight I need to lose. I know this is warped but I am curious...how much weight did you gain and over what period of time while you were in Hawaii?
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 12:54 PM

That is the cutest question I've ever seen on this site!
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 01:05 PM
GoTravel

My exercise doesn't stop while I'm on vacation. I still run and lift weights. Actually, I'm usually a little more active on vacation but eat more so I don't gain any weight.

Old Feb 19th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Dan

Why is the question "cute", Leona?
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 04:36 PM

I've never gained a pound on vacation (that I'm aware of). Like GoTravel, I don't suspend my exercise program on vacation (nor would I want to since running in new areas is enjoyable for me), and I don't eat huge volumes of food under any circumstances (could never get my money's worth out of a buffet).
With all the recent media coverage of the obesity epidemic in the USA, I sometimes wonder if obesity will one day be viewed as smoking has come to be seen: a public health hazard for which all of society pays.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 05:06 PM

I don't think you will gain a lot of weight in Hawaii. Just eat lots of the wonderful pineapple and walk on the beautiful beaches.
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 02:33 AM

LOST WEIGHT IN HAWAII!! We never stopped moving, climbing, hiking, surfing, swimming...and I'm not really an outdoor kind of person.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 09:17 PM

I gained five pounds. It might have just been water weight or bloat or something, because I had been watching my carbs and I didn't restrict my eating at all in Hawaii. It certainly wasn't due to a lack of exercise. I walked everywhere! I even walked all the way from my hotel (the Radisson Prince Kuhio) up to the top of Diamondhead and back. I got way more exercise in Hawaii then I normally do and I still gained weight.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 04:04 AM

I didn't gain either - I exercise at home and exercised there - run on the beaches, hike, walk around etc.

I also lost a few pounds on my recent trip to Spain, lots of hiking and walking in hill towns.

I was in both places for 2 weeks.

Karen
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 04:26 AM

I think one has to make a conscious effort when on vaca. to watch it. We cruised the Med. and I did OK because I exercised 6 of 7 days first thing in the morning and watched what I ate. The one day I didn't exercise we walked alot in Rome. Hey, its only food. don't let IT rule YOU.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 07:17 AM

Ahhh, apparently easier said than done for most, jacketwatch. What with 64% of Americans being overweight. I'd say food does rule most people in the USA.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 07:28 AM
SoBeTraveller

apparently eating a night doesn't promote more rapid weight gain - another myth exploded.

on your vacation, why not find out about the gym where you're staying and take your tennies with you. Work off what you might otherwise gain before you come home.

Old Feb 25th, 2004, 08:29 AM

I find the main reason for weight gain on vacation is ALCOHOL. People tend to drink earlier in the day, while lazing on the beach in a lounge chair. Then, with a slight buzz on by early afternoon, the motivation to work out is gone. Hawaii can really get you because many "tropical" drinks contain coconut milk, which is very fattening! But homemade pina coladas can sure be good . . .
I work out while on vacation to avoid weight gain. On Maui, I did some hiking and swimming, and bought a pass to Gold's Gym in Lahaina where I did my usual weight and ab routine.
If you tend to gain weight, shoot for losing 8 pounds before you leave.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 12:33 PM

I was on Atkins for seven months last year before going to Hawaii for two weeks. I didn't cheat - not even once in those seven months - and I lost 35 pounds. I felt great when I went to Hawaii and didn't care what I ate while I was there. My idea of a vacation is not to watch every bite that goes into my mouth. Also, as another poster mentioned, I enjoyed sampling the many kinds of tropical drinks. I also have a fondness for coconut-macadamia ice cream. But I walked the length of Waikiki (from Ft. Derussy to "The Wall")and back at least once a day and I walked all over the place so I didn't really gain much, if anything, while I was there. It just depends on what you do. I had a kitchenette in my room so I cooked a lot of meals there and the rest - well, I just ate what I wanted when I wanted it and chalked it up to being on vacation.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 03:02 PM

Well Ted that is unfortunately so. we as a society need to watch it. Hopefully then incidences of diabetes, heart disease and pulm problems may somehow decline.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 04:15 PM

My two cents - If you are not working out start now - if it's a habit you continue it on vacation. Don't go with a starve now , pig out on vacation attitude - everything in moderation - junk food in large quantities clogs arteries even if you are on vacation.

If you are going with your spouse/friends - share foods that are rich/fattening, so you will still get to try stuff but not in quantities that hit your waistline.

Healthy eating and living has to be a lifestyle so that you don't spoil vacations worrying about weight. Okay was that enough preaching

Old Feb 28th, 2004, 08:22 AM

We spent two weeks in Kauai last summer and I did not gain any weight at all. It was a bit strange because my appetite always goes through the roof when I am in Hawaii and I can't seem to stop eating! Food tastes soo good there! I eat huge breakfasts that are heavy on fruit, eat a very light lunch or non at all, but usually "go for it" at dinner. I spend much of the time in the ocean swimming and snorkeling. I also go for long walks. Hiking is something I enjoy, so I usually get a hike or two in too. I'd say I get about the same amount of excercise while I'm there as I do at home.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 08:57 AM

Hey indie, preach away - i'm with ya totally.

And as a runner, i'm always on the lookout for places to run when on vacation or away on business. Its not always easy to make the time but if i want to enjoy my vacation as much as i do my life, which means eating what i want (altho somewhat in moderation) then i have to balance it with running. I can't pass up anything chocolate anywhere, and i still crave certain fast food fries, but i've found most people are willing to share. Especially my wonderful family
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 09:23 AM
GoTravel

Coconut-macadamia ice cream? Wow that has to be caloricly dense! Sounds great tho!

Old Feb 28th, 2004, 09:49 AM

ellen_griswold

Am a runner too with a huge weakness for chocolate
Have a hubby that will share any goodies that tempt me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -