Lake Geneva Romantic Restaurants

Old Aug 14th, 2004, 11:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lake Geneva Romantic Restaurants

I'm looking for a romantic restaurant in Lake Geneva. I'm hoping for something on the lake with a great view of the lake. I'd really like a place where we could walk outside by the lake afterward, or at least walk in a romantic, landscaped area.

So, I have had three suggestions. If anyone has been to any of them, or heard from anyone whose been to any of them, please reply, and please compare them if you've been to more than one...

Kirsch's (at French Country Inn)
Grandview (at Geneva Inn)
Solomon's (I haven't been able to find out anything of this place, except a friend said he went there.)

Also, knowing Popeye's isn't romantic, I'm thinking of it for lunch. What's it like? I like quiet places, not a teen, rock-n-bopping kind of places.
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 08:22 AM

Kirch's is not on Lake Geneva. It's located on Lake Como, a small lake just north of LG. Grandview is very nice. I know a couple people who have had their wedding receptions there - it has a beautiful view of LG and a patio overlooking the lake. It's located near a state park called Big Foot beach that is wooded and you could walk around there. Solomon's I've never heard of and can't find it in the phone book. For the romantic dinner on the water you want, I think this is your best bet.

Popeye's is excellent for lunch. You are right that it isn't really romantic but it's not for the rowdy younger crowd either. It's very nice and has great food. I love the broccoli cheese soup and the spinach/artichoke dip appetizer. YUM!
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 08:24 AM

OOPS! I meant to say The Grandview is your best bet.
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Sara,
Thank you for your replies. Is there a certain room or seating preference that I should ask for if I choose the Grandview?
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 02:55 PM

Umm, let me ask my coworker who had her wedding there and I'll get back to you on that.
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 06:50 AM

Maybe someone on this thread can help me out - I remember driving thru the LG area a couple years ago and we drove past two lovely, old,neighboring Victorian buildings..one was a B&B and next door (if I recall), you could see thru the windows an elegant looking dining room. Spouse and I thought it looked like a great place to stay/eat...but if we made a note of the name, it's since been lost. Thanks for any ideas!
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 07:28 AM

tl91- My friend says there is a good lake view from every seat in the Grandview. Also, if you want to walk, you can walk anywhere around LG. It's because of the public access to waterways law so no one can prevent you from crossing their property down by the lake. However, they don't have to provide a walkway, so good walking/hiking shoes are needed in some spots.

arjay- I'm guessing you are thinking about the St. Moritz. Haven't talked to anyone who has been there recently but it used to be very expensive and not really worth it for what you got, not that great in other words..... could be different now though.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 09:54 PM

Hi tl,

Hands down the French Country Inn has the best romantic restaurant you have in your list. Their restaurant is Kirsch's, featuring award winning French and American cuisine with Hawaiian Island influences... great chef. They also feature a great wine list.

On weekends there's live music on the large outside deck on the shore of Lake Como. It's really beautiful.

I just spent last weekend there... it's our fav spot to stay in Lake Geneva, and although it's not on Lake Genva, it's a short 3 minute ride into town. I like this spot because it's so quiet and romantic.

If you don't have a place to stay booked you might want to consider staying at the inn. The rooms are literally on top of the water.

The Grandview at the Geneva Inn is also very nice, but I don't care for the food as well as the fCI. We've eaten there a number of times, but still have been enjoying FCI much more.

Popeye's is NOT quiet. It's rather loud, and the food isn't the greatest... very hit or miss. Try Scuttlebutts next door to Popeye's... much more quiet.

Gilberts is also another place for fine dining in town... great lake views.

Whatever you decide, enjoy!

Old Aug 18th, 2004, 11:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. What kind of "live music" do they have at Kirsch's. That kind of scares me...Live music doesn't sound "quiet." Is it romantic love songs or what? Is there a band? a singer? What instruments are involved?
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 11:44 PM
Original Poster

Also, if we did go to Kirsch's, what is the best seat or view at that restaurant? Is there a problem with cigarette smoke on the outside deck?
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 04:24 AM

Hi tl,

The music is acoustic guitar... one or two guys... James Taylor, CSN&Y, Eric Clapton, etc.

Anyplace in the dining room is nice.

The deck is huge so I haven't found the smoke a problem.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 06:16 AM

Sara Lou - Thanks!
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 07:07 PM

arjay,

I think the St. Moritz is now Gilberts.

tl,

The Grandview has a baby grand in the dining room if you want more quiet upscale romantic...

The French Country Inn is more B&B relaxed romantic...

...thought that might help in deciding between the two. You can't go wrong w/ either one.

Old Aug 19th, 2004, 07:10 PM

arjay,

Check out gilbertrestaurant.com to see if this is what you're thinking of...

Old Aug 24th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

We're back from our trip, and we went to Kircsh's and to the Grandview. Personally, I thought Kircsh's was quieter and more romantic. We could see more water at Grandview. I'm glad we got to go to both.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 07:13 PM

Hey tl,

Thanks for posting back... it's great to hear what people thought about recommendations. Glad you had a good time.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 05:21 AM

Thanks, but gilbertrestaurant.com didn't work...could something be missing in that address?
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 08:11 PM

arjay,

Sorry, try gilbertsrestaurant.com

If you don't get it that way, try google for the same, it's on Wrigley Dr. and you should be able to pull it up there.

Old Aug 30th, 2004, 09:50 AM

I noticed Gilbert's when we were in LG last fall. It looks very nice. Has anyone eaten there? How is the food? Is it very expensive?