An afternoon escape from Chicago's western suburbs

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Between Lollopalooza and the Cubs game, my husband and I really don't want to do our usual trip in to the city tomorrow afternoon. But we'd like to do something! Preferably something we haven't done before. Anyone have any ideas?

We went to Long Grove a few weeks ago and enjoyed it. So something along those lines would be great.

Don't really want to go to Evanston as we've been there several times in the past year. And it's hard to get to without going through the city.

We went to Geneva/St. Charles one Sunday last summer. We used to go a lot when the kids were little as they loved Island Park. And the trip last year was fine. But we really didn't find much to do.

My husband suggested Lake Geneva. And that sounds fine. But does anyone have suggestions for things to do there? Or a good casual place to stop there for a drink and an appetizer?

Basically, I'm suffering from a combination of boredom, wanderlust and listlessness! Would love to hear any and all ideas for a fun afternoon for a pair of 50 somethings!

Thanks!
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 03:17 PM

Hi CAPH,

Love Lake Geneva, WI. There's a great walking path around the lake if you want to take a walk and look at some of the beautiful lakefront homes.

Mr mauka & I like the French Country Inn... follow Hwy 50 west out of town about 1 mile. Watch for sign on the right just past Pesche's greenhouse. It's a great place for a romantic weekend getaway too. Stay there sometime.

http://www.frenchcountryinn.com/

They have a beautiful deck right on Lake Como. Live music... usually songs by James Taylor, CSNY, Jimmy Buffett etc. Not sure about music schedule... you may want to check.

The restaurant, Kirsch's serves wonderful food... award winning. Everything is good. I crave their calamari. It's a simple place, but nice, if that makes sense. Extensive wine list.

http://www.kirschs.com/

Enjoy whatever you do!!
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Makai! Both places look very nice. And a walk around the lake does sound good. Especially if it's as beautiful a day as today was!

But would we be comfortable stopping at either place for a drink wearing shorts?
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 03:42 PM

We were just in the next town over - Delavan and dress is very casual. I can't speak to that specific place, but resort towns usually are very casual as they know many have come off the water.

You may also want to check out Williams Bay for a walk and a comparison ?
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 03:45 PM

It's all one place, and yes if you are sitting on the deck, come as you are! To sit inside the restaurant you might want a pair of capris to change into.

Walking around Lake Geneva is a very nice time. The lake is huge, so walk as far as you want and then turn back.

Heading into town, west on Hwy 50, park at the beach park on your left just past the shops & library.

You'll find the path. It goes around the entire lake.

When you're done walking continue to drive west on Hwy 50.

Enjoy!!
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 03:54 PM

beware, parts of Hwy 50 are under construction, you will get detoured.
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much to you both, Makai and Surfmom! Sounds like it'll be a very pleasant way to spend an afternoon.

We did go up there once before. But it's been several years. And, as I recall, we just drove around a little bit, didn't really do anything. So I really appreciate the suggestions.
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 05:58 PM

caph, the detours on hwy 50 are west of the French Country Inn, so they won't affect your travels.

Delavan & Williams Bay are actually all on Lake Geneva... small towns scattered around the lake. Walking around the entire lake would take a good part of the day!

Mr mauka and I were just at the French Country Inn on "date night" last Wed and thoroughly enjoyed our time. It's a great getaway!

Have a great day!

Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again, Makai. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 10:25 AM

"Delavan & Williams Bay are actually all on Lake Geneva... small towns scattered around the lake. "

Actually, Delavan is on Lake Delavan and not Lake Geneva.

Lake Geneva has 3 towns on it:
- Lake Geneva
- Williams Bay
- Fontana

I think makai is right about the construction though. I know we were trying to drive from Delavan to Lake Geneva and got detoured by it, but I lost sense of where exactly we were.

so, caph... what did you do ??? inquiring minds want to know.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

I've been struggling with how to deal with this. I so appreciated the help from you guys. And wanted to post back. But it's rather embarrasing.

We drove all the way up there. And it was a quite pleasant drive up through the Chain of Lakes towns along 12. We listened to Pat and Ron do the Cubs game all the way up. Now that they've screwed up the synchronization between cable and the radio, I only get to listen to them when I'm in the car.

But, as soon as we got in to Lake Geneva, we hit a traffic jam. I'm sure that's not uncommon on a lovely summer Sunday afternoon. But, dummies that we are, we just weren't expecting it. And my husband really wasn't in the mood for it! We drove all the way through town unable to find a parking spot.

We went to French Country Inn. It really is lovely! But had a hard time parking there too. And then couldn't find a spot on the deck. Truth be told, the music was a bit loud for our taste too. Although I suspect, had it been a different type of music, we would've been fine with it.

We wound up turning around and coming back via I 94. We'd noticed a lot of traffic going that direction on 12 as we were going.

As I said in my OP, it was my husband who originally mentioned Lake Geneva. And I think under other circumstances, we would both have really enjoyed it. But he was sick all of last week and has been really stressed with work. He really wanted to go somewhere yesterday. But I wish I'd had the sense to realize, (before we left ) that a shorter drive probably would've been a better idea!

Again, I really appreciate all the help from both of you.

And it wasn't a wasted trip. We passed Volo Bog. I've read about it for years but have never been. Now I know where it is, so we're more likely to get back there. And I also feel I'd like to know more about those Chain of Lakes towns. It looks like it could be an interesting area.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 03:05 PM

oops, surfmom... thanks for the correction. I was thinking Fontana when I said Delavan.

So sorry it didn't work out CAPH. Sometimes the timing just isn't right for a long trek. Sorry, I should've thought to tell you about the traffic & where else to park. Didn't think of it. Sunday Sunday.

Glad you found the Volo Bog. We live in the Chain of Lakes area and boat them too. Be happy to give you more info. Touch base at swissfamily2 at comcast dot net.

Hope for a better next time!

Old Aug 4th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, makai! How nice of you! I'll take you up on that offer.

No need to apologize for not mentioning the traffic. As I said, we should've realized it'd be very crowded. We just weren't thinking.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 03:45 PM

Caph52,

funny to read this - Hubby and I drove to Lake Geneva from Madison on Saturday am trailering our boat and intending on a day cruising the lake. We got there a bit after 10 am and the LAKE WAS FULL. No way to get on from any of the landings. We, too, turned around and hightailed it out of there.

Very funny we both did the same thing this weekend.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 04:22 PM

Caph- check out the Travel section of the New York Times for Sunday 08/03 they did a whole feature on 1-tank drives & one featured area was "from Chicago" - sounded wonderful. Sorry, haven't been out there, (I'm NYC area) but it may give you some ideas.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 05:02 PM

caph, sorry it didn't work out. We've all had those great ideas, great places, but sometimes it just doesn't work. At best, you accept that it was a fluke, at worst, you get cranky and mad and fight. sounds like you made the best of it

we're from the East Coast and love the beaches... we, personally, don't get the lake thing - we felt like we smelled like a swamp after swimming. There are certainly the addicts on the lake though. I guess the mid-Westerners come to the East Coast and complain of smelling like dead fish

better luck next time... thanks for the update regardless.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

That is funny, HappyCheesehead! And it makes me feel better to know we weren't the only ones who turned around and went back!

I'll definitely check that out, Nina. Sounds like exactly what I've been looking for! Thanks.

Thanks for the kind words, surfmom. At least I made the best of it. Let's just say my husband
did more than a little cussing! I like beaches of any kind. But I agree that it's hard to beat the ocean. However, Lake Michigan's not so bad either!
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 12:25 PM

Caph - sorry about your attempt, that has happened to me too. I meant to put in my post maybe this article will help if you want to try again.