Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italian lake or Lake Geneva (Lac Leman) next summer?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2009, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking about where I want to go next year, and at the moment I'm mulling over the competing claims of Lake Geneva (leaning towards Vevey or possibly Montreux) and one of the Italian lakes (Magggiore, Como or Garda). Partly I feel confused by the many options available in the latter - not only which lake but which town or village, and I'm not really sure where to start. I want to stay in one place for at least a week, so I want to have enough to do wherever I pick, using public transport. Any advice?
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 04:30 AM

Hi Nonconformist,

I'm very partial to Lake Geneva; I've been to Montreux about 10 times, once for three weeks, and will go again this November. Here are links to my "reviews" (w/photos) of my favorite activities there:

Montreux old town
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...reux_Vaud.html

Lavaux

Promenade Fleuri

Morges
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...rges_Vaud.html

Gruyeres
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR..._Fribourg.html

Saanen
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...wiss_Alps.html

Gstaad
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...wiss_Alps.html

I once rented a car but quickly found that it was a big mistake; it's a perfect area for getting around by bus, train, and ferry.

Let me know if you'd like more information, or anything specific.

Have fun!

s
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 04:41 AM

It's hard to advise you. YOU must know what you're interested in. Just a few points to consider:

Check event dates. The Montreux festival e.g. draws crowds and lets hotel rates explode.

Lake Garda is usually mobbed with German tourists in summer. Ugh.

Lake Como offers mostly activities by/on the lake. It's mostly about the towns, palaces, gardens, boat rides, not so much for the mountains.

Lake Geneva offers the easiest access to the mountains (above Vevey/Montreux) and the most extensive vineyards if that's of interest for you.

Lake Maggiore offers a bit of everything. I personally like Locarno and Ascona a lot. Easy access to the mountains, but also good for boat trips to the Borromean islands (Stresa) and Isola di Brissago.

Last but not least: Italian or French ambience?

I.
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 04:45 AM

Ingo -- Lake Garda, lol! There are one-day excursions from GaP to Garda by motorcoach several times a week. It's a very popular day-trip!

s
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 04:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi non-conformist,

we stayed one night on Lake Geneva at Vevey, and have spent a week on each of Lake Garda and Maggiore, so perhaps I can help a bit.

firstly, what are you looking for, primarily? if you want mountains, then really Geneva is your only choice. Swandav gives you an excellent idea of all the things that you can do. the only thing I would say - don't stay in the market square of Vevey on the Friday night - they start setting out the things for the Sat am market [great fun] at about 3am, and the bells will have kept you awake til then anyway.

On lake garda, we stayed in garda itself, which turned out to be an excellent choice, as you can get access to both ends of the lake from there, whereas, if you stay at either end, it's difficult to see the other end. there is loads to do, visiting the other towns on the lake, going up the mountain which overlooks it to its east, visiting Verona [you can do the opera from there] and even Venice.

on Maggiore, it's a bit quieter, but still a lot to do with the various towns, the islands which are lovely, etc.etc.

hope that helps,

regards, ann
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

My main interest is history. For charm and scenery I prefer the lakeside to mountains. I prefer Italy to France, but the places around Lake Geneva really appeal, and I loved the German-speaking part of Switzerland.

Th festival issue could be the clincher, though, because I want to go at a set date to tie in with a major birthday and I have a nasty feeling the dates may clash with the jazz thing. That *might* mean I have to keep Montreux for another time...
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 05:01 AM

Hi again,

The Fest is usally in July and usually lasts about two weeks. Here's a link to its site:

http://www.montreuxjazz.com/

Though if you were in Vevey, I bet you'd hardly even know the fest was going on.

Montreux is perfect in June though. In August, it's mobbed by tourists.

For Roman history, you'd want to go to Avenches and Nyon; for Iron Age history, you'd want to go to Neuchatel (museum there).

Montreux is not at all like the German part of Switzerland; in architecture and ambiance, it's more like the French Riviera.

Anyway, good luck with your decision!

s
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 05:02 AM

I don't know if cost is an issue, but if so, check on that. When we visited the Italian lakes in 2006, we nixed a trip into Switzerland because the prices there were through the roof, given the exchange rate. We didn't even want to go and have lunch.

My report on the lakes Maggiore, Como, and Garda can be found at:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...s-district.cfm
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 05:02 AM

You might research prices before you 'commit' to one location over another..
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Money is less of an issue than usually (of course it always is to a degree), given that it's a special bithday, and tbh any limitations of the budget may end up dictating the length of stay rather than the place. (I.e. I might decide to do one week where I mighthave doen two, or 10 days, if it were cheaper.) The Italian lakes aren't exactly dirt cheap, either, if you want to stay somewhere nice. I think at the moment I just want a clearer impression of which I would enjoy more.
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 07:22 AM

We really like Lake Como, but we have not been to all of the other lakes, so I can't help with your comparison.
I think that Ingo offered some good advice. (At Lake Como, the great majority of people just look at the mountains. The great majority of people do not walk or hike the montains.)

There is plenty to do at Lake Como to fill a week, but I think whatever location you decide on will be great. For the always subjective 'somewhere nice', there is a not too old thread looking for honeymoon hotels on Lake Como that might help you.
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 08:46 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I *love* Vevey and Montreux and the other towns along Lac Leman. I've been there five times (4 times in summer, 1 time in winter) and would go back in a heart-beat! But I've never been to the Italian lakes to give a comparison.

One small side benefit of Lac Leman is that it is incredibly easy to get to by train flying in/out of the Geneva airport, with excellent train/bus/boat public transportation available, so absolutely no reason for car rental.
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

I'm definitely leaning to Vevey at the moment.