Five days in switzerland- advice?

Jun 6th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Five days in switzerland- advice?

Hi, I'm travelling for the first time to switzerland next week on the 16th. I'm flying to geneva and have booked 2 nights there, I've got 3 more nights for which I've not planned anything. Any realistic recommendations? Bearing in mind that i will need to leave geneva on the 21st of june.
Jun 6th, 2006, 01:57 PM

Annecy, which is only about a 30 minute drive from Geneva, has been called "The Venice of the Alps." Its location on Lake Annecy, framed by the Alps, is magnificent.I think you could easily spend a few days there visiting the old town and boating to the surrounding towns that dot the lake. There is also wonderful hiking in the area, if that interests you. Have a great time!
Jun 6th, 2006, 03:03 PM

You can easily do places like Vevey, Lausanne, Montreux by train and less than 2 hours one way. Numerous other possibilities within a couple hours by rail and topping for other comments.
Jun 6th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Original Poster

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice and recommendations. Just want to ask would it be better to confine the trip to the lake geneva area or would it be better to go off to basel, berne, zurich? Also when exploring the lake, would you recommend to commute from geneva daily or to stay in one of the smaller towns, such as vevey, lausanne, or other towns along the lake?

Thanks a lot once again...
Jun 7th, 2006, 02:30 AM

Hi Again,

Because I just don't like cities, I personally would stay in a smaller town like Vevey or Montreux. But if they're too far away, consider staying in lovely Morges or Nyon.

For your extra days, I can't recommend you merely shift to another Swiss *city*! If you don't want to stay by the lakes, you should consider a stay in a mountain town or village. That's why I recommended Chateau d'Oex or Gstaad; you can also consider Brig or Zermatt. All of those are close enough so that you won't be travelling far to get back to Geneva.

Have fun!

s