Montreux Area Hotels - need advice on which of the three is best choice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have narrowed my hotel choices Vevey/Montreux area to three. Looking for recommendations on which to choose and why. Traveling in September with my husband - both active, fit and in our early 40s. Will be hiking and touring by train. Not night life people but more of walking around, enjoying the scenery and drinking wine types. Price range is 250chf or less per night. If you have a better suggestion than one of my 3 choices, please advise. Thanks!
1. Hostellerie Bon Rivage, Tour-de-Peilz
2. Tralala Hotel in Montreux
3. Hotel Masson in Montreux
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 08:30 AM

Hi ButterflyGirl06,

The Bon Rivage is on my short-list for a hotel if I can ever tear myself away from Montreux; I think it has everything I look for -- lakeview and quiet.

I've heard lots of good things about the Masson in Montreux, but it is isolated. It's about a block down to the lake, and it's kind of a quiet part of the lake. But the bus isn't far, and it can take you either to Villeneuve (my favorite village on the lake) or to Montreux or Vevey.

I stayed at the Tralala before it was renovated and it was the Auberge des Plantes. I thought it was a great budget option, but now their prices are pretty high (for what I think they offer). The hotel is located in the old town, so you won't get even a whisper of the lake. And walking uphill to it wasn't fun, I thought (when I was there, there was no bus service due to some road construction). There may be some bars and cafes at night along Rue du Pont and Rue de la Gare, but going to the lake might be a chore. the breakfast they offered before the renovation was awful -- only two cereals, a few slices of toast .. .

I'd choose the Bon Rivage -- if I could tear myself away from Montreux!

Have fun!

s
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 08:37 AM

Ok, just checked something. You may be able to get the Golf-Hotel Rene Capt for around 200 chf per night. The hotel is closer to town than is the Masson, and it sits directly on the water. Here's the site:

http://www.golf-hotel-montreux.ch/en/hotel-montreux/

Have fun!

s
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Swandav! Just checked the Golf. Lake view is 193chf and lake view is 280chf. Would you go for the Golf or the Bon Rivage? Bon Rivage is 250chf for a lake view room.
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 09:16 AM

If you choose the Golf then definitely book a room with DIRECT lake view (not side lake view) because the VERY busy and noisy train route runs right behind the hotel.

I'd vote for the Masson, though. I loved the somewhat isolated location. Lovely, charming place. The sunset from their garden (or the room's balcony, if you have one with lake view) was spectacular. And the bus stop is only a three minutes walk down on the main road.

I.
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

I neglected to mention we'll be doing day trips via train (Maybe to Gruyeres, Bern, etc.) so would like the hotel to be semi convenient to public transportation. We will be in this hotel for five nights.
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 09:32 PM

Hi again,

I'm afraid I'm biased. I attended boarding school in Montreux-Territet (very close to the Golf) a lifetime ago, so I am psychically tied to that area.

I think all of these hotels will be equally close to the train station -- maybe a 10-15-minute's walk. Each of them also close to bus lines. You can verify the walking distance and bus stops by using google maps. Just pull up a map of the town, then click on "search nearby" and put in the hotel. When that location comes up, click on "directions" and ask for the bahnhof. Also be sure to click on "pedestrian' when the directions come up. However, I do have to say that google maps usually ignores the lakeside promenade on Lake Geneva --

Where will your excursions be? If you will be going on the Golden Pass route once or twice, you may want to base in Montreux, but if you'll be exploring the lake and/or the Lavaux vineyards, Vevey would be the best base.

Also gotta say this is a win/win -- you cannot make a wrong decision here!

s
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again Swandav! We haven't finalized our excursions as of yet but we are planning to explore Lavaux vineyards, maybe a day trip to Bern, and Gruyeres to the cheese factory. I found this site yesterday and am intrigued by the Cheese Hike. http://www.lamaisondugruyere.ch/inde...134&Itemid=247 We will be coming to the Montreux area after spending 5 nights in Lauterbrunnen.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 07:00 AM

Wow, what a great hike; what an excellent researcher you are. I've saved that map & site for my own trips (to Gstaad in Aug and to Montreux in Oct).

Well, Vevey will be best for the trip to Bern (via Lausanne) and to the Lavaux; Montreux best for Gruyeres.

You *may* want to do Gruyeres enroute, as the village is a short detour from the stop of Montbovon. The problem is what to do with luggage, as there are no lockers at Montbovon or Gruyeres. I've heard that the kind folks behind the counter of the cheese store in Gruyeres will hold bags, but you'd be at their mercy for that. You could send your bags by fast baggage (20 chf per bag, put it in before 09.00 and pick it up after 18.00), but I don't know if it would be worth it to you.

Anyway, best of luck!

s
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

OK, I think we are going to go with Bon Rivage! Thanks for the suggestions!!