Rome Hotels Choices

Search

Rome Hotels Choices

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2010, 03:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome Hotels Choices

I can't make myself choose a hotel. I have commitment issues :] I have seached the threads for a couple of thses but did not find anything.

We will be in Rome from August 7th-13th.
We are looking at a laundry list here but some of the favorites are the-

Torre Colonna - 200 euros per night

Il Papessa - they offered me deal through email at 100 euros per night.

Una Hotel - 147 euros per night. Next to train station which is how we will be arriving.

Bellesuite - 105 euros, North of Termini, not sure about this location but the rooms look clean.

The Best Pantheon B & B- superior room 160 euros per night.

Guest House Arco Dei Tolomei - 120 euros per night - in Trastevere - I don't know much about that area.

Town House Suite Relais Palazzo Taverna- 160 euros per night

Has anyone stayed at any of these hotels?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, even if it is not on the list.
I have even made a custom Google map of all of these hotels to compare locations and I still can't pick.
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 03:13 AM

You should probably eliminate the one near Termini and the one north of Termini due to less than desirable location. It would help others give their opinions if you put the links here so people can see the locations.
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

Here are the links-

Torre Colonna: http://www.bed-and-breakfast-rome.torrecolonna.it/

**La Papessa: http://www.lapapessabb.it/

Una Hotel Roma: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ome_Lazio.html

Bellesuite: http://www.bellesuiterome.com/

Best Pantheon B & B: http://www.bestbb.it/p_eng_camere.htm

Guest House Arco dei Tolomei: http://www.bbarcodeitolomei.com/

Town House Suite Relais Palazzo Taverna: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUse...ome_Lazio.html
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 03:49 AM

I wouldn't rule out hotels near Termini. They're very convenient if you plan to travel by train to/from the airport or other cities in Italy, and they're slightly off the tourist trail, which gives you a more local feel to your visit.
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 03:52 AM

I just got home from Rome last night and was there in January, also. While I am not familiar with your choices, if you plan to see the historical sites and know that there will be crowds, the Best Pantheon is in a great location. During the week especially, once the day ends the crowds thin considerably. You won't be in the hotels location all day, and it is nice to be able to get home quickly. We are walkers, and it is very easy to walk to everything from there, including Trastevere and the Vatican.

As with most cities, if you step a block or two off the "main drag", things are much calmer. I stayed right off the Piazza Navona in January and 1/2 block from the Trevi this time, and I preferred the Navona/Pantheon area, because it was just a little more centered.

While Trastevere is lovely, it is away from the historical center. I wouldn't stay near the train station, unless I had to--much, much traffic and not very walker friendly.
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 03:58 AM

The area around the station is commercial and bustling and not among the city's most attractive or interesting. It would not be my own choice for a stay in Rome.
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 04:01 AM

I agree with martygnc, and also would not stay particularly near the train station.

BC
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 04:28 AM

We stayed in the Best B&B Pantheon several years ago when it first opened. Actually it was SO new at the time that several things were not working, like the promised internet, phones, etc. We also were not pleased that even though this is a very small (4 rooms) B&B, the owner did not meet us upon arrival. We are independent travelers and have been to Rome many times so did not need to "have our hands held". BUT he did ask specifically WHEN we would arrive, i.e. at what time, in order to meet us. As it was, I believe we were just lucky that the lovely maid/cook was there and she let us in. Otherwise I don't know if we would not have been on the street for who knows how long!!

All that said, I can say the following GOOD things about this B&B :

1) it was spotless
2) excellent location
3) very comfy beds (although he careful on the edges, we both got lovely bruises from the sharp metal points)
4) decent price

Would I stay there again? I have been to Rome since then and chose NOT to stay there (the place I stayed instead was close to the Vatican and while nice, not the best location). But given the other choices in your list, it would seem the best one to me.
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 04:34 AM

I also wouldn;t rule out hotels near Termini, having stayed in more than one over the years.

Yes, I KNOW there are people who describe SOME of the areas near the train station as "questionable" and other really really OBJECTIVE terms like "seedy" but these are the same people who are advising people on how to dress, too, so go figure.

There used to be some sort of flea/book market near the train station and all its pickpockets (now THAT is something I WOULD be careful about) and there are actually some buildings which aren't quite as prettified as those in other parts of the city but in terms of getting around, there are worse places to be than near Termini IMO.
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Would you say that La Papessa is a 10 minute walk to the Best Pantheon B & B? Is the extra walkt to the Colosseum and forum worth the 60 euros I night iw ould stay?
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

* I would save*
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 05:12 AM

There's nothing wrong with the area around Termini. One of Rome's most expensive luxury hotels, the Exedra, is a five minute walk away.

We always stay at the Best Western Hotel Canada, 58 via Vicenza. Currently available at  €124-168 for a double. We have stayed here over 20 times and never had a bad experience. The rooms are spacious, the staff is helpful and there is a great breakfast buffet.

The people I have recommended it to have always come back satisfied.
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 07:28 AM

It will be very easy to get from the Colosseum and Forum. It is just steps from Corso, and you will just follow it straight out to Venezia and then to that area. It is in a great location to walk everywhere--only about 2 or 3 minutes from where the Pantheon B&B is located. An extra 60 E per night will buy dinner, if you eat in the little kinds of places that we like! It is very close to Archetta Spaghetteria where we enjoyed our last dinner in Rome on Saturday night.
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 07:46 PM

For me, the most important thing about a hotel is does it have a good bed and a shower. I never plan on spending a ton of time in the room while I am in Rome.

Now in scenic places like, Amalfi Coast, Lake Como - it is more important, but in Rome, I want a decent room and a good location for me to be able to get around easily. If you are planning mutliple day trips out of Rome, then to me Termini area would be ideal because you can quickly walk from your hotel to the train station.

I say you need to figure out what you will be doing, and where and then make an informed decision on where to stay.
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 07:52 PM

We always stay at the Best Western Hotel Canada, 58 via Vicenza.

I stayed there this past summer - and loved it v- clean, the staff was amazing and the room pretty. I would highly recommend it. The street was fine and I walked all over Rome from there. I agree the area is not so pretty, but far from seedy...
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 04:01 PM

papessa looks amazing. the room pics look good. did they really offer it to you for $100 euros. how do i get that price
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

I think it was about more like 115 or so. They have a special for one week. It's 600 euros.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

No actually :] it was 100 euros. When are you going to Rome?
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 06:22 AM

We stay in apartments if possible but if I had to choose one of these hotels then I'd balance location and price. Il Papessa is probably what I'd choose.

Second choice would be the Best B&B Pantheon.
I didn't like the area around Termini either.

Here's the link to the apartment we stayed in Nov 2006 (now 110 euros a night)
http://www.sleepinitaly.com/en/show-...id_appartam=30