Search

Lahaina Shores Beach Resort

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lahaina Shores Beach Resort

Hello,
We are going to Maui for our HM in September and a friend recommended this hotel. She said that it was nice (not fancy) and the prices were good. I checked trip advisor and the reviews were good (not great but this isn't the hyatt). Has anyone stayed there or could anyone recommend a similar place to stay...this place is $1080 for 5 nights (mountainview) with a convertable rental car...

Thanks!
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 02:27 PM

We stayed there and liked it. Walking distance to "downtown" Lahaina. Lots less expensive than Kihei or Kanapali but they are both within easy driving distance.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

What was the beach like in front of the hotel? Was it too small to enjoy?
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 08:15 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My family stayed there on a reunion trip (so I saw 5 different rooms, each was different as they are condos).

I liked it alot, not fancy, but very Hawaiian feel around the lobby, nice pool lawn area with plenty of lounges, and the beach out back behind that. Not too small for me to enjoy, but it is fairly narrow. The staff was helpful.

The best things for me was being able to walk into Lahaina, so you didn't have to get in the car everytime you want to go somewhere (like more remote hotels or resorts). So many restaurants, shops, bars, galleries, activities along Front Street area.

Don't miss taking the self-guided historic walking tour around the center of Lahaina. I think we purchased a map for that at a tourist office.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of your input!
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 05:57 AM

We also enjoyed Lahaina Shores. It was very nice and close to everything. We had a great deal! $99 a night for Oceanfront. I would stay there again....We saw all kinds of people in the water floating on rafts and such. The beach part is really narrow and we walked it one evening. But for lounging on the sand and swimming, we visited other beaches.

Old Mar 6th, 2006, 06:20 AM

"Really narrow beach" is an understatement. Almost non-existant and rocky is more like it.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 06:35 AM

I dont feel it is an understatement! There is a small and narrow beach out there and it is walkable. I do not remember it being rocky either.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 07:10 AM

Kinch - I guess we disagree on what narrow is. Go to se a picture of the beach. I believe it was taken when the tide was out. It's even smaller when the tide is in: http://www.greathawaiivacations.com/...MAL484CPG.HTML
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 07:21 AM

I'm not sure why anyone would want to stay here for a Hawaiian vacation unless they got - and needed - a great price (I don't think ajaq's deal is a good one) or they really, really wanted to be within walking distance of Lahaina's restaurants and nightlife.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 09:10 AM

How do you define "too small"? We were not going to play beach volleyball, just lie around and soak up rays. I must not have been there the day there were rocks on the beach.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 09:50 AM

Sorry Bobmrg, I don't consider a beach that is just wide enough to hold one beach chair a nice beach. ajaq asked what the beach was like in front of the hotel and if it was it too small to enjoy. Maybe ajaq wanted to play volleyball even if you didn't, which you obviously can't do on this beach.

BTW, I lived in Lahaina for 5 years (about 4 blocks from this hotel), and though I've been gone for a while, the beach in front of the Lahaina Shores used to be very pebbly and in some areas rocky. Perhaps they cleaned up the beach the same way they cleaned up the hotel...which used to be mediocre.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 09:53 AM

I dont need to go and see a picture of it! I have been there and been on it myself.

Brian in Charlotte----We stayed there because we were on a budget due to also geting married there. Even if we could afford to spend $300 on up a night we would stay there again. It was a clean place with a kitchen and we really didnt spend much time in the room.

Ajaq's deal doesnt sound that great either. When we went in June 2003 "mountainview" was $99 and they had a special that gave us "oceanfront" for the same price.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Ah! So much good information. I think that the beach will end up beign too small for what my fiance would like so we are looking elsewhere...although when in Lahaina I will be doinga walkby to check out this beach!! : )

We are narrowing our search to Royal Lahaina Resort or the Kaanapali Beach Hotel. The big downside for Royal Lahaina is that I heard they are starting major renovations this month...and they are expected to last for over a year - I will call them to see if this is true...

Thanks again for the great dialogue regarding this lodging option. If anyone has any "dirt" on the other two hotels listed, feel free to respond!
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 01:34 PM

The Kaanapali Beach hotel has been named as the Most Hawaiian Hotel in Hawaii for many years. It's a solid 3* property on a nice stretch of beach (definitely wider than the Lahaina Shores). Has a free hula show every night by their small pool. All the employees have to take Hawaiiana lessons in order to work there. There are frequent lessons in the lobby (lei making, weaving lauhala, hula, or just tutus (grandparents) "talking story" about Hawaii. Friendly & comfortable.