Kaanapali Alii or ResortQuest Mahana?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are trying to decide between these two condo resorts for our vacation to Maui with our teenage daughters. Looking at them on the web, it is hard to see why Kaanapali Alii would cost two times more than Mahana. Can anyone explain it to me?? Thanks.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 07:49 PM

Simply said, because it is in the middle of Kaanapali Beach.

I have stayed at the Mahana and it was just fine. But it's not the same beach life as you will find staying right on Kaanapali. I am thinking the girls will want the beach
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 07:50 PM

The Alii is is situated on a better beach and is in the middle of the action, restaurants, shops, and areas where teens would have more fun. In this case, two times the cost = two times better location.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your replies. That really helps a lot! Now that you've pointed it out, I can see from the photos that Kaanapali Alii is on a much better beach!
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 06:39 PM

We have stayed at both, last time was the Resort Quest at a unit I found on VRBO for about 1/2 the price of the Alii. We have been staying at the Alii since 1998 (5 times) and this was our first time at RQ. Only reason we did RQ was because KA was booked up.

The RQ was very nice. My only complaint was the location. KA is in a great spot and walking distance to great bars and places to eat. RQ is not, you have to drive to any real nice place to eat.

However, the food at the onsite place was very good for dinner and excellent for breakfast and lunch. We try to BBQ at least a couple of times while in Hawaii and the RQ area sucks. The KA BBQ area is five stars.

The grounds are equal, but the beach at the RQ seemed smaller and was windy.

I understand KA is planning a major remodel to the pool area (which it needs), but you might want to check on the time frame for you trip.

I would think with two teenage daughters the KA would give them more to see and do within walking distance and in a safe area.
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

James3939,
Thanks for your posting on this. I've shared these opinions with my husband, and he has agreed to spring for the KA. I've also learned that we must avoid Bldg. 3 at all costs . . . apparently there is a lot of construction at the Marriott, We're thrilled to be going . . . this is our first trip to Hawaii!
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 12:20 AM

It is not only the prime location of KA that makes it more expensive. The KA was built more recent than the Mahana, and also of higher quality. The views from the Mahana units, however, especially on the higher floors are outstanding, but the beachfront isn't very sandy as Kaanapali and doesn't even compare. You will be very happy you chose the Alii over the Mahana. I think the construction near Bldg 3 would affect only those units that face the Marriott. The building is "double-loaded" with units facing the Marriott, and other units (across the hallway) facing the interior. I would think if you got a unit facing the interior courtyard, or better yet, an oceanfront unit, you wouldn't have the noise problem.